Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 23rd August 2017

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 23rd August, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 4:45pm US Eastern Standard Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 18 Aug 2017 at 6:28 PM
  • 37 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi there – thanks for getting in touch.

So with regards to the first question re temperature, the two main ways to go about this are as you have described – reduce bed clothes/bedsheets or alter the air temperature. I have heard of people putting a fan on with a bag of frozen peas in front of it to cool the air down. Having a cold towel over one's forehead/feet may also help. It is important to have a cool room when trying to improve sleep.

With regards to the second question, the general rule is that if you thin you have been lying there trying to get back to sleep for 15 mins or more, it's time to get out of bed. Even if it is mid-winter and freezing out of bed, staying in bed for any longer will affect the bed-sleep association in the brain and will undermine any other techniques being carried out to help sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

This is a tricky question to answer as people disagree on it! In my opinion, however, if you are a good sleeper then there is no problem doing this as it will have no bearing on your sleep. If, though, you are going through sleep problems and wanting to get your sleep back on track, I believe it is wise to get back to basics, cut away any technology around bedtime that may stimulate you or make you stay awake longer and concentrate on being able to fall asleep without any aid. Then, once sleep is back on track again, the podcast can be reintroduced. Hope that helps?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hi there. Usually vivid dreams are a sign of underlying anxiety or emotional distress and so I would recommend seeking support for this alongside sleep work. The root of the dreams needs to be targeted as well to improve this particular problem. I would also say that some medications can also lead to vivid dreams so it's worth checking this out with any medical doctor or pharmacist, too, in case this is part of the problem.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hi and thanks for your post. If you feel you are no longer 'practising' the relaxation and know it off by heart, then this is OK to do in bed. While people are still practising it and getting to grips with it, we would recommend doing it outside of the bedroom so that when in bed, the focus can be falling asleep within 15 mins.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you very much

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hello and thanks for your message. Without knowing the full details here, it is difficult to say exactly why this problem has seemingly altered, but what I can say is that many people find that their sleep problem shifts around a bit depending on what;s going on for them and also depending on their thinking patterns. Often, when people have poor sleep in some form, they think about it a lot. It occupies a lot of their thinking space and they worry about it. They learn that, at that point in time, their bed is something negative and associated with difficulty/distress. As a result, when they get into their bedroom and into their bed, the brain becomes anxious, alert and active. This can quickly lead to problems falling asleep as a result of the increased worry (even if this is subconscious). This is one line of thinking, but a common one. As one progresses through the Sleepio programme, techniques will be taught to combat this problem and build a more positive bed-sleep connection back up again.

Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

You're welcome!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

You're welcome..

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

It's gone very quiet…any more questions out there?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

you're welcome

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Dear Dr Vcki Creanor,

I am now starting to relax an hour before i go to bed, as instructed by the sleepio expert. I have been doing this for sometime now. Sleepio suggests passive relaxing such as watching tv. However I have now noticed that wheb I am doing nothing but watching TV, I have started nibbling at food. When I thought about why i started doing this, i think it is because i am boared, feel restless and want to do something with my hnds. I am the ultimate fidget! My friend suggested knitting to relax and wind down as it is passive.

My question to you is, other than watching TV or listening to music (as I find this enegises me, even relaxing genres) what other passive activities can you suggest to relax in the hour before bed to wind doen after putting the day to reat? Sleepio does not recommend reading, but despite this, i tried reading and it did not help me feel tired. Would knitting be a passive activity?

Kind regards

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    Good question. Yes, knitting could be a passive activity…if it comes quite easily to you. If it is a fairly new skill and/ore reading the pattern is complex, then it's maybe not best before bed as this can be stimulating. It's very dependent on the person. Other passive activities could be doing light chores, having a bath or what many people are doing these days is 'mindful colouring in' – using adult mindfulness colouring in books to relax (you can find them online).

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Dear Dr Vcki Creanor,

I am now starting to relax an hour before i go to bed, as instructed by the sleepio expert. I have been doing this for sometime now. Sleepio suggests passive relaxing such as watching tv. However I have now noticed that wheb I am doing nothing but watching TV, I have started nibbling at food. When I thought about why i started doing this, i think it is because i am boared, feel restless and want to do something with my hnds. I am the ultimate fidget! My friend suggested knitting to relax and wind down as it is passive.

My question to you is, other than watching TV or listening to music (as I find this enegises me, even relaxing genres) what other passive activities can you suggest to relax in the hour before bed to wind doen after putting the day to reat? Sleepio does not recommend reading, but despite this, i tried reading and it did not help me feel tired. Would knitting be a passive activity?

Kind regards

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hello – not sure if you meant to post this again? Please see my reply above…

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for the good advice.

I will try the adult colouring in books and I will learn a simple kitting pattern during the day and when it comes naturally to me, I can start doing it at night to relax.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Sorry, I tried to reply and somehow ended up posting again by accident. Thank you for the reply.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

No worries as long as you saw the reply :)

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

That's all for this session – thanks for the questions and I'll speak to you again soon

Return to top