Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 21st October 2020

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 21st October, from 8.15pm to 9.45pm British Time or 3.15pm to 4.45pm US Eastern Time.

They will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, they may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as they can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Their replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 19 Oct 2020 at 5:15 PM
  • 7 comments
  • 1 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hello and welcome to the live Sleepio session. I’m here for the next 90 mins to answer any questions anyone has about sleep or the programme. Feel free to get in touch :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm in a sleep restriction phase with 6.5 hours of sleep. This little sleep is causing me a lot of problems – I wake up exhausted and nauseated and my mood has been really low. It's bad enough to be interfering with daily life to an unacceptable degree.

I need to add in more sleep even though the Professor hasn't “granted” it yet. What's the best approach to figuring out how much more sleep I need and what pace I should add it back?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi

I had been doing quite well on the Sleepio program having started at the beginning of July, and my sleep had definitely improved but I was still waking several times in the night, up to 8. These periods weren’t long enough for me to do the QHR but it still meant I wasn’t getting great quality sleep. Also I never had longer than a 3 hour solid block of sleep. Would you suggest I shorten my time in bed? I was getting between 5 and 6 hours and time spent in bed was about 7. This last week I have had terrible problems sleeping but am hoping that with time it will improve again.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi there, sorry to hear it’s been tough. Sleep restriction is probably the hardest part of the programme. It feels much worse at the start. If you are needing to add more sleep in, there is no set way to do it, but it may be wise to start in 30 min chunks to see what you feel ok with. Then you can decide if you’d like to work on sleep restriction later down the track.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi there – as a graduate, you’ll know that the sleep restriction part of the programme is designed to help people whose sleep has become fragmented, so yes I think that’s a good plan to use this technique again. Also have a think about lifestyle factors that may help. Getting exercise during the day, making sure caffeine is limited especially after lunchtime and working on any stress or anxiety using the relaxation techniques will all likely be beneficial.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

A quiet wee session this evening. Take care and I will speak to you again soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 52 comments
    • 22 helped
    Graduate

Hello Lucym,

I had the problem of getting to sleep it used to take me an hour and waking up in the night for hours at a time. I was lucky as I got a 6 hour Sleep Window (SW) for Sleep Restriction (SR). This really worked for me as SR squishes your sleep hours into a solid block. I found as I extended my SW due to rewards by the Prof by an hour and 30 minutes I had more brief awakenings, not enough to do the Quarter of an Hour Rule (QHR). So I shortened my SW again to 6.5 hours and found that I had around 3-4 brief awakenings instead of 8+. You should find that when you shorten your SW that you will get less awakenings. You might be lucky and have none. We all have them it’s just most people don’t remember them. I don’t mind having the 3-4 brief awakenings. I literally wake up turn over and go back to sleep. You could start with shortening it by 30 minutes, give it a week and see how many awakenings you have and then adjust it if you need to. I had to shorten my SW by an hour!
    You should find that you will get a better quality of sleep doing this.

Hope this helps.

LoM.

Return to top