Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 20th March

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 20th March 7pm-8pm (GMT).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 14 Mar 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 45 comments
  • 12 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

hi meerkat,
    Reading is a common thing to do before sleep. We tend to recommend only sleeping in the bedroom to strengthen the bed-sleep association, however, if you are finding this is helping to relax you into sleep, then it is working for you. I believe a bit of flexibility and realism is important too and often solving problems involves some trial and error. If you were finding it hindered your sleep, I would consider reading outside the bedroom, but this is different to what you have described.

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Yes i see what you mean. Just moving the body rather than just sitting in my (all too comfortable) chair. I could even have a bath and give myself a manicure!

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Manicure sounds good, however be careful with the bath as this often makes people sleepier :)

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

OK but now I have some straegies to think about. Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 1900 comments
    • 436 helped
    Graduate

Many things I have heard of here and others tried myself, sort out family photos usually they are all jumbled up, do some ironing, tidy kitchen cupboards, crosswords, sudoku, read, colouring book and crayons, jigsaws, during the day put some time on one side and think of things you could do, but it will take a bit of effort on your part.

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will do a bit of planning

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Just a further thought. Sorry to hog the forum but do you think there is likely to be further improvement if I keep doing battle with the evening sleepiness? I have been on a plateau for ages now so I assumed not. That was why I was looking at ways to cope with that fact that I'm still not getting quite enough sleep at night.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

hi damopest,
    Thanks for your questions.

In response to the first, alcohol can affect sleep in a negative way. The problem comes when itbisbused to get yourself to sleep as it is likely you won't have as much restorative sleep as is needed on a normal night after alcohol. This is really if you use it regularly, though, so the odd drop of alcohol should be ok. Best thing to do is to monitor how it affects you personally and your own sleep…and also your wakefulness the next day.

As for your second question, it is really sleep disordersbofbthe circadian rhythm (body clock) that benefit form light therapy, so it is ok to have a soft light on when you wake and have to get out of bed after the quarter hour awake.

Here is an article on alcohol and sleep

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

You said you still had bad periods…what are they like? Is it harder to fall asleep or are you awake in the night more?

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

hi missus,
    I can Imagine this must be very hard. Is this a treatable condition? If so, perhaps you could put the programme on pause until this is treated and doesn't interrupt your sleep ass much?

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

The sleep problem was middle of the night insomnia and early wakening. I have never had problems in getting off to sleep. Now I have a bit sounder sleep and while I still wake in the night just as often, (I think that is possibly normal at my age so I'm not worried about it) I normally manage to get back to sleep after a short time. When i have bad patches it goes back temporarily to the old pattern. maybe not surprising as it is a very long standing pattern.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

hi oxanaq,
    Thanks for your question. Firstly, as I am sure many people here would agree, the first time you try any new technique it can be difficult and not always go to plan. Try not to worry about this. I wonder if part of the problem here is your anxiety about reducing your hours of sleep? It can be daunting for someone who craves sleep!! Be assured that progress will be upbandbdown and this is normal. Stick with it, though.

I would, however, say that if you are doing a job which is unsafe to do when so sleepy, you may wish to try sr at a time that feels safer.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

I know it may feel like it is not going well at times, however from what you saying sounds like you are doing really well! You are able to get back to sleep quickly and do have deep sleep. You have obviously worked hard at this. I don't know your age but yes, as we get older, our sleep does change and we wake more often and wake earlier…and usually need less sleep too.b

I would have a look at what is different about the circumstances leading up to the nights where you sleep really well and try and recreate these circumstances each night. So for example, does a hot bath induce a good sleep for you?

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

thanks I will have a think about that. I haven't noticed a pattern, but I will try to put a bit more detail in my diary and perhaps that may come up with something.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

hi bryan1939.
    Thanks for your post. This sounds irritating! There are ways to retrain your bladder, yes. I would advise speaking to your gp to ask for help with this and find the right professional to advise on how best to go about this?
    Good luck.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Yes sometimes it is the little subtle things that make the difference…even what you have been thinking about or who you have spoken to during that day can have an effect. Look at your thoughts and emotions as well as the environmental factors around you for little clues…

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Only a couple minutes left of tonight's session…any more burning questions out there?

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Thanks to you and others for the helpful suggestions tonight. Night night everyone and sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 1900 comments
    • 436 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Vicki we are all tired out.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Ok thanks for your company tonight…see you next month!

Return to top