Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 20th July 2016

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 20th July, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 4:45pm US Eastern Standard Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 14 Jul 2016 at 6:42 PM
  • 66 comments
  • 9 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I appreciate the information comment about the available community.

I would still like to pose the question to you Doctor Creanor.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

This is very common and many people do stay up later than they intend. If your sleep is poor, it's really important to stick to good routines and decent bedtimes. Sometimes setting a timer helps to jolt people from what they're doing and remind them to get to bed. Others in the community may have good ideas too if you post on a community page?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

some activities others have used in their own situations have included watching TV – as long as there's little risk of falling asleep, sitting by a window to get fresh air, chatting to someone, reading, listening to music, writing. It's very individual as some people get tired during activities that help others stay awake. Hopefully some ideas here to play with?

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you tapdancer. Yes, I am new to this site and not totally understanding the responses I'm reading and how to utilize the site.

From what you shared I have a lot of work to do in order to practice pre bed routine as you adjusted. thx again.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

you are welcome. There are a lot of good techniques ahead for you. Don't get discouraged!

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    The question about how much of different types of sleep you need will change depending on what you've been doing that day, how you're feeling, how your sleep was the night before so lots of factors create the need for varied amounts of different types of sleep. Your body takes what it needs, basically, so it changes from day to day. Which means there's not really an answer to this per se, but the more sleep pressure that builds up (the longer you've been awake) tends to lead to more deep sleep at the start of the night.

In terms of pillow choices, this is a tricky one and I'm not an expert on this, but I guess there are pillows that mould to your sleeping position, so may be worth trying these?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    I posted a question earlier about taking a break from the programme but I can't find any response to it. As I haven't participated before I am not sure how this discussion works.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    Hopefully I read your question correctly and my response made sense? Apologies if I misread it. I mnot sure if you've come across the quarter hour rule yet in the programme…if not, this is a technique to make sure you don't spend a long time lying in bed trying to fall asleep…there will be lots of discussion I'm sure on how to stay awake when you're practising this rule, so you can search for it using the search function on the site. Hopefully that will throw up some ideas for you too?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    Apologies I've not got around to your question yet – I've been doing them in order of posting. Will look at yours now so you're not waiting too long…

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

HI again,
    Thanks for raising this. I can understand why it's irritating. I will take this issue to the team to see what we can do to improve advice on this on the website. In terms of advice now, yes, you would pick up where you left off and make sure that any techniques already covered are still being implemented, so it's as continuous as possible. The good thing is you were not worried about it – this is actually what makes most people's adjustment after holidays worse, so this is pretty positive in terms of your attitude.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks! I have become a lot more positive about sleep since doing the course.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi there – have a look in our library for 'jetlag' as there's a helpful article there. What you want to do is try and get into the habits of your surroundings as soon as possible – get plenty of sunlight during the day, eat when the locals do, sleep when you would expect to in the new time zone. And use the techniques explained already while doing this. This is the quickest way to get into new time zones. And never nap, even if tempting, unless for health reasons or if it's too risky not to (ie operating machinery or if you have to drive a lot when tired).

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

that's really good to hear…glad it's helped.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    When there are no obvious changes to the sleep routines of graduates and they are putting everything else into place – cutting out napping, sticking to their sleep window, wind down routines, quarter hour rule etc etc, it may be worth looking at whether there is underlying anxiety/depression (or something else) that is leading to lack of sleep. Making sure all the techniques are in place is the first check, but then think about anything else that might be troubling you that might be leading to worsened sleep. Sometimes it's very subtle until it's focussed on. Just worth thinking about if there's a big change since graduating and techniques are solid.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Some people find eyemasks helpful or, if possible, moving to another room that doesn't get the light in the morning until your sleep is back on track.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for answering my questions from a newbie student. I'm during the sleep diary, though in process for understanding the variables available to me in the program. Need to do some program study.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

what works for one person may not for another, so it's often trial and error (I've used this phrase a lot to night but you do need to play around with some things as what causes sleep and wakefulness is very individual!) – getting fresh air is a good idea, exercise is helpful, chatting to others often keeps you more stimulated than lone activities. As long as you do not take them too close to bedtime or take too many, you can use a bit of caffeine to keep you going as well.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    This might be one for the community of sleepio users to see what those use in practise – I would agree with keeping the light off, but depending on your phone, one person once recommended a great idea of taking screen shots when they were awake through the night to capture wake times and to save writing.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

That's all for now – thanks for all the posts live and previously left…speak to you all again soon,

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi all,

Following on from a couple questions we had last week, here is the response from our technical team regarding taking a break from the course when this affects people eg. for holidays/illnesses/lack of internet etc and how this affects one's sleep diary….

First of all, it's helpful to send an email to hello@sleepio.com so people can have help with adjusting their notifications so they're not bothered by those while away.

When people do not have access to the programme online, here are some options:

1) keep record of nights' sleep on paper

2) take the next session upon returning and estimate their past week's sleep in the diary review

3) wait a week to take the session with the prof, resuming after they've recorded the sleep from their first week home

It may be also be helpful to look at the 'Can I take a break from the Sleepio course' FAQ on the website (last question on the page) where it mentions tips such as a print-out version of the sleep diary when internet isn't available.

Hope this helps…speak to you all again tomorrow.

Return to top