Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 1st November 2017

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 1st Nov, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 4:15 to 5:45pm US Eastern Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including those about medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 26 Oct 2017 at 3:19 PM
  • 59 comments
  • 9 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi there – often the bedtime routine and relaxation techniques can help people get to sleep but often stay asleep too. Relaxation can also be used during the quarter hour rule time, which is often helpful in calming people back into sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hello – so the main thing to look at when people do sleep restriction is their sleep efficiency (how much of the time in bed is spent asleep). If this is approx 90% then people can increase the sleep window by 15 mins, either at the start or end of the night. If we increase the sleep window without achieving the 90%, all we do is weaken the association between bed and good sleep. So to be effective as a technique, this should really be followed in this way.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there – yes the menopause often causes sleep problems due to the changes ongoing in the body. This library article may be of interest for those approaching/in/post menopause…

'Menopause and sleep problems' – search for 'menopause' in the search bar

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi – as this is a medical question, it must be addressed by a trained medical professional such as a GP/family doctor. This ensures client safety by seeking advice from someone who knows a person's medical history well.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Expert

Hi – the techniques within Sleepio will target sleep in general as opposed to working on the separate phases of sleep, so there is not guidance on one particular way to improve REM sleep alone. What people often find is that when their overall sleep improves, the phases start to settle out too. As for recording REM sleep, there are many devices out there but they vary in terms of sensitivity. I'm afraid I can't recommend particular models but it may be a good question for the community of people who may use these?

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Hi, I'm quite confused.
    The “Your progress” tab in my case file says my average sleep efficiency is 90% and that It has been improving. On the other side, there was a request in the “sleep report” tab and the result shows a very alarming 4.1 ad my sleep score… and the solution would be to have the same schedule every day. I has try, but some urgent matters made me woke up earlier one day, and then I move my window just earlier since I found it better to wake up when morning light starts to come. But in general I have kept the same timing.
    So… ┬┐why the sleep score looks so bad?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Feeling lacking in energy while trying to get sleep back on track is very common. Use of caffeine in the mornings can help with this and also getting plenty fresh air and exercise during the day can also help.

As the experience of mental ill health is different for everyone, I would encourage anyone who believes they have a mental health problem to seek help locally for this with trained professionals. Usually if someone believes they have a mental health problem it is worth exploring with someone.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

I'm unsure why this might be and it is tricky as I can't access diaries just now. If anyone feels the facts in their diaries and the advice given aren't matching up, however, it would be helpful to let the team know at hello@sleepio.com

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Often it can be a symptom of anxiety, actually, but always worth getting these physical symptoms checked out by a medical professional if it is new or troubling.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hello thanks for the post, apologies in the lateness of getting around to replying – a busy night! I would say that if it is felt that any other mental health problems are having such an impact on the sleep, these must be addressed by a trained health professional. Often sleep problems are caused by other mental health conditions and once these are treated, it is easier to focus on sleep. Hope that helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

I would like to share with you that my last night was superb. So I am again confident that I am improving. Is just that the last week was particularly sleepy and I started to thing if there is a minimum sleep time I should have to remain healthy. I had the idea during many years that I should sleep at least 8 hours a day. I've learnt during my sessions that was is not accurate. But any way I wonder what is that minimum to stay healthy. Is there any norm?

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

thanks but how do i get the times changed ? gradually or all in one go ?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

In terms of the anxious thoughts, it is hard to escape media stories, however I do often wonder about how robust those studies are. Trying to tackle the thoughts using the challenging thought technique may be helpful for those i this anxious cycle. As for how long it takes to feel improvement, I'm afraid this varies greatly from person to person based on numerous personal factors. Keeping up the relaxation consistently would be very helpful too for those feeling highly anxious, and doing this throughout the day would likely help.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

If it feels as if sleep is more broken, less solid, then sleep restriction can be used for people experiencing this problem. This is usually a good indicator for reintroducing this element. Calculation of sleep efficiency as before can guide people as to how their sleep is and whether it is way below the desired 90%.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

We hear many 'norms' from various sources, however what is most important is how a person feels after a certain amount of sleep. Usually people can tell whether they are getting enough sleep or not based on daytime functioning.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

When people are looking to alter their sleep patterns in this larger scale, I believe it to be more beneficial to do it gradually.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Thanks for all the comments this evening – that's all for now – speak to you again soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

half an hour a day earlier- for 7 days ? then another half hr for 7 days? or how >

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

really good advice – thank you!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Session 4

thanks, i havn't got onto sleep doing my sleep window yet but am sure I will soon

Return to top