Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 1st August 2018

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 1st August, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 5:45pm US Eastern Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 26 Jul 2018 at 4:22 PM
  • 9 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hi there and welcome to the live Sleepio session. Just as an introduction, I'm a clinical psychologist and have worked with people with sleep problems for many years. Over the next 90 mins, I'm here to answer any questions about sleep or the Sleepio programme, so if you have a question, please get in touch….

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 11 helped
    Graduate

I've had to reluctantly restart anti-depressants to deal with my lifelong GAD, after a break of 12 months. My sleep had gradually deteriorated because of the GAD, but is now slowly improving, due both to Sleepio and then the meds (restarted 2 weeks ago). How worried should I be about being on the meds again, and potentially always having to take them to manage the GAD adequately? How much is the better sleep I am getting now actually proper restorative sleep? My CBT therapist tells me that they interfere with REM sleep. Is that a problem? Sorry, that's a lot of questions!

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

HI there and thanks for your questions. Often we find that underlying mental health problems affect sleep negatively – it's a very common thing. I'm glad to hear the sleep is improving, though. I have met many people who are on medication and feel that it has been helpful to allow them to focus more on recovery via therapy, so they can go hand in hand with good outcomes. Rather than worrying about whether sleep is fully restorative in quality, I would focus on how you feel when you wake up and throughout the day. This is often as good a test as any about how your sleep is. Hope that makes sense?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr.Creanor,
    Is it ok to occasionally take an antihistamine to fall asleep faster ?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hi there – as I'm not a medical doctor, this is advice you'd be best asking from either a pharmacist or medical doctor. Just to make sure you get the safest advice.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

As a result of my exhausting work and exercise during the day, I go to bed around 9:30pm to rest the body; so, it is hard for me to follow the recommended “window of sleep” ! I usually feel rested the next day; do I need to restrict my sleep time still ?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

HI there – like any part of the Sleepio course, it is always the person's choice as to which strategies are followed. The reason the window is used as a framework is to help people consolidate the link between their bed and sleep. We want this association to be as strong as possible. Any time the bed is used for anything other than sleep (aside from sexual activity), there is a likelihood this association will weaken, which can affect sleep in many people. If you want to follow this strategy, though, an option may be to rest the body on the sofa rather than the bed?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

That's all for this evening's session. Thanks for the questions and I'll speak to you again soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Ever since I eat supper at least 3 hours before bedtime, I woke up in the middle of the night hungry. Can I get up and eat a snack after lying awake for 15 minutes ?

Return to top