Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 1st April 2020

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 1st April, from 8.15pm to 9.45pm British Time or 3.15pm to 4.45pm US Eastern Time.

They will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, they may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as they can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Their replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 26 Mar 2020 at 5:39 PM
  • 24 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 8 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Bradz
    I'm seeing your Q on my MAC desktop so I guess you are connecitng ok.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Good evening and welcome to our live session tonight. Please feel free to post any questions you have about sleep/the Sleepio programme and I will answer them as best I can…

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

HI there – thanks so much for this suggestion…I will pass it to the team so we can make the language as accessible as possible for everyone.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    Thanks for getting in touch. I think one of the most important things to do here is to implement the QHR and make sure you follow this as consistently as possible if awake longer than 15 mins. To help get back to sleep/stay asleep longer, though, you could try the following:
    – reducing amount of caffeine during the afternoon if taking any
    – increasing exercise during the day
    – avoiding naps
    – using relaxation/breathing exercises when you wake
    – using the thought blocking exercise
    – using paradoxical intention (say to yourself “don't fall asleep” over and over)

Hope these suggestions help?

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Vicki
    The first three I do already but I will revisit the last three again.
    Stuart

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi there – I'm sorry to hear things are so tough just now. The science behind this is that it tends to be anxiety and a learned response keeping us from feeling that 'sleepy tired' way when we approach bed after a period of poor sleep. During the period of poor sleep, we create an association in our minds between bed and feeling unsettled/wakeful/frustrated/anxious. The more time we spend in bed feeling this way, the stronger the association becomes, so that eventually, bed becomes a trigger for us to feel these ways, rather than relaxed. During the Sleepio programme, there will be techniques that help reverse this effect, creating a more positive association between bed and sleep.

I hope you see this OK – you should still be able to access the thread after the event and it works OK on a phone, too.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Good to hear there's already some good sleep hygiene in there already :) Hope these other things help when you wake…

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Can you please remind me about the thought blocking exercise. Thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Sure – so when you are in bed, often thoughts (even if not anxious) are in our heads and distract us and keep us awake. Repeating the word “the” over and over occupies the mind and helps the body and mind to feel more relaxed which allows sleep to happen more easily.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Thanks – I'll try that. I presume the idea is to choose a word that does not conjure up an image or initiate a thought process or sequence.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Is repeating “don't fall asleep” partly paradoxical intention or is it partly thought blocking by virtue of the repetition.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi Dr
    Thanks for your reply.
    The thing is I don't actually feel anxiety when I'm in bed
    I'm actually calm.
    I love my bed.
    Could Sleepio still help me?

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

So the thought blocking technique is exactly that – a neutral word is used to avoid conjuring up any emotion. If another word is preferred, this can be used.

As for the paradoxical intention, the idea is that the effort of trying to sleep is taken away by saying to the brain “don't fall sleep” (effort is now removed in trying to sleep and shifts to what is thought to be staying awake) however the brain does not hear the negative part and only hears “fall asleep”, which now occurs without effort…hence making sleep easier and more passive.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi there – glad you could join the live session!

Is there another negative emotion you feel in bed – or – are there other activities you use bed for (other than sexual activity – work/watching TV/using a screen)? usually if the bed is used for other activities, an association builds between those and bed rather than bed and sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

The relaxation/breathing exercises you suggested – are these the ones in the Case File Downloads under MP3 Progressive Relaxation Audio? I certainly found this helpful when I first started out with Sleepio and effective at getting me off at the beginning of the night. So should I use this audio at 4 or 5am when I am trying to get back to sleep then?

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Yes you can do, or if you are up doing the quarter hour rule you can use this then. But it would also be helpful to practise them during the day so your brain can listen to it more passively as it knows what's coming and is less likely to wake you up at night…

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

That's all very helpful; thank you for your suggestions. Good night.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi

I normally go to bed at 12 listern to meditation then light out at 1300.
    My mind is normally calm.
    But in the day I get depressed that I didn't sleep and can't really function.

I do awake in bed I normally just try and accept it and keep calm.

Even when I'm laying on the sofa relaxed but very tired I still don't get sleepy?

If I was doing SR every 15 mins and only go to bed when I feel sleepy I guess I wouldn't go to bed all night because I don't get the sleepy feeling.

I'm awkward I know sorry 8(

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

You're very welcome – good luck :)

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

That's the end of our session this evening – thanks for the questions – sleep well and stay safe. Speak to you soon.

Return to top