Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 19th Sept 2018

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 19th September, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 5:45pm US Eastern Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 13 Sep 2018 at 5:58 PM
  • 8 comments
  • 1 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello Dr.

My sleep was progressing but, I seem to be creating problems for myself.

Recently, I seem to wipe away all drowsiness moments after waking up making difficult if not impossible to get back to sleep! ! More concerning is that all of this is happening during my second spell of sleep deprivation! !

This is all the more frustrating with the alarm going off at 6am!!

What do I do?

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Hello and welcome to the live Sleepio discussion. I'll be here for the next 90 mins to discuss Sleepio techniques and sleep – please post any questions you have and I will aim to answer these during the session…

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi and thanks for getting in touch. So this is quite a common problem people face when they wake up in the middle of the night. Usually we find that, if people wake up quite fully when they have a night wakening, it is anxiety-driven and due to their bodies being stimulated by anxiety. Using a relaxation exercise can help here – slow breathing, using calm imagery, or the 'the the' (thought-blocking) technique you'll have come across during the course can help to block out unhelpful anxious thoughts. In the longer term, though, making sure the quarter hour rule is implemented is important and using sleep restriction if these wakenings are more frequent through the night can help consolidate sleep into a longer block through the night. Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your advice.

I am not anxious so do not wake up with any thoughts but, within a few minutes go from drowsy to full level of alertness.

A further concern is that after being ready for bed my mind 'presses a button' leading me to a level of alertness. With time it is something my mind is becoming more aware of.

Very frustrating

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Hi – what we tend to find with people who struggle with their sleep is that their minds start to associate their bed with alertness, wakefulness instead of sleepiness. This is why we suggest the quarter hour rule – to try and weaken this association. It is likely that when you wake up, your mind is associating that environment with being awake, so wakes quickly. Similarly to the start of the night – even when people get ready for bed, they hit the bedroom and their mind is awake. Again, the quarter hour rule is the best technique to target this problem.

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Mmm having suffered with Insomnia for so long and with age it is increasingly difficult these days to wrench my self from bed!!

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

It is a really difficult thing to do as it sounds very counterintuitive – especially on those coder, darker nights. One thing that may help people stick to the quarter hour rule is to set up an area you'll use when you're up with a lamp and a blanket (avoid lying down as people tend to fall asleep there and this is not the aim!) so it's easier to get out of bed and go to use this area. It's so hard, but it does help to break that cycle of the mind and body waking up fully when we wake during the night. Good luck…

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

That's all for this evening's session – look forward to speaking to some of you again next week…

Return to top