Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 19th December

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 19th December 7pm-8pm.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key – On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 13 Dec 2012 at 2:45 PM
  • 62 comments
  • 23 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 177 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Creanor,
    another SR question. Is SR thought to apply sleep pressure over a long period of time, so that the longer you do it, the more your efficiency improves or is it more of a constant day to day pressure? i ask because unlike some on the site, i'm in my 5th week of SR and have yet to achieve 90% efficiency for a whole week even tho i am following everything to the letter (btw, you'll see i'm session 2 but i started Dr. Espie's program from his book 5 weeks ago)

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

hi Harrington.. Would it be a possibility to move the sleep window to 2 to 7 if you are still awake at 1 and aim to get up at 7 eventually?

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Disappearing, sorry to miss out but every time I refresh, I lose the connection… on any of three browsers. Maybe my broadband is on SR…

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello, Dr Creanor, I am in week 3 of the course but I have run into a major problem in using the15 minute method, as I simply don,t get back to sleep unless I take a pill either 15mg dal mane or 5 mg zopledeme.I then will sleep through for 5 hours. As my main purpose is to get off the pills. I would appreciate your advice on what is the best course of action. My Doctor,s advice is that having taken the pills for 35 year quitting is not worth to potential side effects. Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

hi there katecelyn..I am attaching an article which may help you with this…this is quite common and often when we are very tired we do not know if we are actually asleep or not!

Can you think you're awake when you're actually asleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

does anyone else have any similar experiences to katecelyn in terms of the best way to record this?

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

I would say that if you do not use your full sleep allowance or window, you should consider not extending the window just yet. Wait until you generally sleep from your threshold time until your intended waking time with 80 to 90% efficiency. Don't worry about what you've done in past though – carry on for now with this technique and it should improve true sleep efficiency.

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

yes I find this often happens I can have periods when I could swear I am awake but time passes too quickly for that to be true. And also times when i think i am awake becuase I am thinking, but the thoughts are too strange and on reflection are really dreaming. I have assumed that i should call all these periods sleep, although they may be light restless sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Dr Creanor, thanks for your comment.I have no problem going to sleep but as you can imagine if I awake after 2/3 hours then not return to sleep it is tough not to take spill the next night.

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

One last attempt – thanks for your help, Dr Creanor. I've been recording that time as sleep too, but it probably makes my sleep diary look better than it should . Better is a relative term, of course!

Night everyone, sleep tight…

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Thanks i will do that. But perhaps you could have a word with Prof Espie about whether the software could be amended so that it doesn't offer an extension to the window when you shouldn't have one as that is really confusing.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi again banjodancing thanks for your question. I have just checked out a couple of articles with our tech team and they'll be attached here to help explain your question. Generally we make up sleep debt through deeper sleep rather than longer time spent sleeping but these articles should explain this well! Hope it helps. And it will take longer for some people than others so please keep persisting and it will pay off in the end!

What controls our sleep pattern?

Should you try to make up for lost sleep on subsequent nights?

• Sleepio Member

• 177 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

awesome. thanks Dr. Creanor!

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Thanks valkaye I have spoken to out tech team during tonight's session so they are aware of this and I will certainly ask them to raise this concern.

• Sleepio Member

• 177 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

oh, gosh, one follow up to my last question then. so, this may explain that while i am not sleeping any more hours on average now than when I started the program, i am feeling less tired on a day to day basis because i'm getting deeper, more restorative sleep now?

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

I was asked a few weeks ago about magnesium and sleep. There may be a lot of hearsay about the effects of magnesium on sleep but it is just this…no good evidence suggests its benefits and we must always rely on solid evidenced based practice.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Thanks for your comments everyone…sleep well and happy holidays!

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

night night everyone and have a really good festive season. Sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 177 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 30 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Creanor – sorry I missed the session but I really appreciate your efforts to answer every question and once again you have advanced my understanding of the program – Regards. Paul.

Return to top