Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 19th December 2018

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 19th Dec, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 5:45pm US Eastern Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 1:07 PM
  • 9 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 3

Hello, My question is lets say at night I feel energetic , I dont feel anxious about sleep, my mind is not racing , but I feel like I can run a marathon :), which of the practices on the app should I do here are the options that you didnt have available last week: the optionson the app are “I feel tense” , “My mind is active”, “ I cant relax”, “ I am worrying about my sleep” not sure which one would best fit when I am just not feeling tired nor preoccupied just too energized to sleep. Any other tips on such situation when one did everything else thought here (am exercise, sun, no caffeine..) or should I just let the sleep deprivation alone take care of this?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi. I have just started the sleep restriction phase of the course and I know it will be tough having read many posts in the community. My sleep window is 6.15 hours but I have been only been getting 3-4 hours sleep the past 3 nights. The issue is that I worry about the short sleep window and not getting enough sleep and end up taking 2 hours or so to get to sleep! I never used to have a problem getting to sleep (it is rather waking up) and the anxiety to 'sleep right away' is causing this. Furthermore, the anxiety is now fuelling other negative thoughts which is making my sleep worse. Is this a typical experience before things improve or should I postpone the course and see if I feel better getting more sleep, albeit with a low efficiency? Another question is: are the 15 minutes added to the sleep window done so automatically by the prof once I hit 90% efficiency over 7 days or do I need to do this manually? Many thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Hello and welcome to the lie Sleepio discussion. I'll be here for the next 90 mins to answer any burning questions about sleep. Let's begin…

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

live!!

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi there, thanks for clarifying this. So I think the “I can't relax” option would fit for anyone in this situation. Often we find that, once the body gets into a good sleep pattern, with regular bed and wake times, people do start to feel sleepy at night. It can take time, but the body needs to get into a new rhythm.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Thanks for your questions. So, first of all, yes this is a very typical experience for many people who start sleep restriction. It can be unsettling in the short term and many people feel this is the trickiest part of the course, however in the long term, it is an effective technique to get sleep patterns back on track. In terms of your second question, I believe they are added automatically based on the sleep diary entries. I will check this out for you though, and if the answer is different, I'll let you know.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

A quiet session this evening! I will speak to you all again soon – bye for now…

• Sleepio Member

• 291 comments
    • 135 helped
    Graduate

After your 90% efficiency week, the prof will tell you that you get an extra 15 minutes. You then go into the app and adjust your sleep window so that you add the 15 minutes to either your bedtime or wake up time.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Hi again. Having checked with a colleague involved in the technical side of things, it seems that, as your fellow community user stated above, a 90% or better sleep efficiency, along with other data you've input the week prior, determines whether you're offered to extend your sleep window. This is not done automatically, though – you will be offered to extend the sleep window and are shown the option to add the time to the beginning or end of the sleep window, or not to extend at that time. Hope that helps!

Return to top