Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 19th August 2020

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 19th August, from 8.15pm to 9.45pm British Time or 3.15pm to 4.45pm US Eastern Time.

They will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, they may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as they can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Their replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 14 Aug 2020 at 1:38 AM
  • 30 comments
  • 4 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 184 helped
    Graduate

Hi AzureDusk10,
    I’ve left you a message on your profile page that might help you :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

I have a racing mind that prevents me from getting a good night's sleep. What are some recommendations to help with this?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have always had trouble getting to sleep and with my SR, I find myself stressing about the quarter hour rule knowing I will have to get out of bed in fifteen minutes. Any suggestions with regards to this issue? Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi and welcome to this week's Sleepio discussion session. For those who haven't 'met' me before, I'm Dr Vicki Creanor, a clinical psychologist with a background in working with people with sleep problems. I'm online for the next 90 mins to answer any questions – live and posted – about sleep behaviour or the Sleepio programme. As per the guidelines, advice about medication cannot be given here as this requires to be done by a professional who knows the client's medical history. Let's get started…

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi and thanks for getting in touch. So, after you have achieved 90% efficiency over a week, you are able to add on 15 mins of sleep time to either your bedtime (got to bed earlier) or wake time (sleep in 15 mins longer in the morning). Once you have added the time, check the efficiency again after another week and add again if 90% has been achieved. This way, you can gradually add to your sleep window each week so your body gets used to the change.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi again – sorry, should have just replied to this question in the last post to you!

So, as per our guidelines, it's important that you get this type of advice from a professional who knows your medical history well. This tends to be the person who has prescribed the meds in the first place. Everyone is different in terms of how they wean off their meds, hence this advice. It is possible to continue doing the programme though while weaning off sleep meds.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    Thanks for getting in touch.
    So, this is often the case as the body starts to settle into a new sleep routine – it can be a little out of kilter for a while. What I tend to recommend is to go back to basics, like you did when you stated Sleepio. Make sure you have all the good sleep hygiene tips in place, make sure you are engaging in relaxation before bed and also during the day. Make sure, if waking during the night, that the quarter hour rule is being followed – and if required, think about sleep restriction again in the short term. The info you need is probably all there, it just needs to be implemented again. And if it's a particularly stressful time in life that may be causing the sleep problems to flare up again, have a think about what steps you can take to minimise this stress (exercise, good diet, relaxation, talking to someone). Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Should I always keep a restricted sleep schedule? Or once I have resolved my sleep issues can I go to sleep at different times?

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

You're welcome :)

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

If the sleep problems have been resolved, you might find that you can be more flexible with bed/rise times – in the same way a good sleeper can be. It's still a good idea to keep an eye on sleep and if you notice anything slipping again, you can put the techniques back in place.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you so much!!

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi CCat,
    So first of all, well done for getting to sleep initially so well!
    Some things that might help with this waking in the night situation are:
    – increasing amount of exercise during the day (this tires out the body and facilitates deeper sleep through the night)
    – using relaxation during the day and before bed (this helps with any stress/anxiety that may wake you through the night)
    – watch your diet (alcohol in the evening reduces deep sleep, too much liquid before bed can wake you during the night and spicy/rich/heavy foods later on in the evening can wake you through the night too as digestion is trickier)
    Don't worry too much about the times you wake then fall asleep pretty quickly – that is very normal even in good sleepers. What we're aiming to help here is the longer periods awake. Hope that helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi and thanks for your question.
    As Sleepio offers self-help guidance, nothing in the programme is prescriptive, meaning people can follow any pieces of advice they choose. I'm hearing that this would be a difficult habit to break for you. And it may be that it offers comfort at a time when you feel you need it, having been recently bereaved.
    From a clinical point of view, what taking a nap in the daytime does to night time sleep is that it halts the process of building sleep pressure that increases throughout the day. This means that, when you go to bed, if you've had a sleep during the day already, the brain and body don't feel as ready for bed as they would had they not slept since the previous night. This is why there is a general recommendation to avoid napping. So I would say it's a personal decision as to what works best for you at the moment.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hello – thank you for getting in touch.
    There are a few things I might recommend here.
    1) try and increase exercise/fresh air during the day as this can help promote deeper sleep and longer sleep
    2) shift the sleep window (either earlier or later) to see if this has an effect (if you shift it to earlier, and still wake at 5am you'll have had more sleep by then; if you shift it later, you may find that you sleep longer/later)
    3) I'm wondering if it's a newish time this 5am wakening as this is around the time of the sunrise in certain places in the world just now – obviously depends on your location, but wearing an eyemask to avoid waking with the light outside can be helpful

With regards to going back to bed for the last hour, yes – I'd still try it as you may get some further sleep. If it's become an anxious task, try some relaxation at this time.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi – hopefully the above answer helps you too, but I would also add that trying to engage in a different activity other than sitting in the chair at 10pm if you know you fall asleep there each night would be helpful to avoid this pre-bed nap in a place other than bed.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi there, it's a good question as it can be confusing, but yes enter your first attempt because this is more accurate re when you aimed to go to bed. The sleep problem is making you get out of bed, so recording the 2nd attempt would be a false record of the night. This sounds like a short-term problem so keep going with all the techniques and with time, you will likely find you are more able to fall asleep first time around. Make sure you have a good, consistent bedtime routine. Try a relaxation exercise as part of this. A hot bath/shower 30-45 mins before bed can also help you fall asleep more quickly.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi there and welcome to Sleepio :)
    I see you are in session 1. Many people starting out on the course are concerned that their particular problem won't be addressed, however a racing mind is a very common problem within sleep disorders and so it will be addressed within the first few weeks of the programme. You will learn some techniques, including ways to challenge your thinking, ways to block thoughts and ways to calm the mind which will all help with a racing mind. I hope you find them helpful.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi – I'm wondering if you've ever tried the paradoxical intention technique? This specifically helps to redirect the thinking that goes on a bedtime…

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

That’s all for tonight’s session – some really interesting questions so thank you – and see you again soon!

Return to top