Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 19th August

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 19th August 8.15pm-9.45pm BST.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you’re welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. Please do note however that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor won’t be able to give highly specific medical advice. She will however try to help as best as she can!

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 14 Aug 2015 at 9:29 AM
  • 51 comments
  • 5 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

You are probably aware of this, but I would add that you should never come off meds by yourself; it's always important to speak to your doctor before doing so as there is usually a gradual programme for coming off meds safely.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

It sounds like you've explored lots of avenues in trying to help this insomnia. I hope you find the cognitive elements helpful here, desperatedozer.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I cannot see the posts/questions from others that you are responding too every time?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

I wonder if you might try coming out of the session and going back in so you can see the thread?

• Sleepio Member

• 58 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

I'm supposed to start sleep restriction next week I think, but I have a week off in two weeks time. Is it possible to delay this stage of the course until then, so it's not so much of a shock?

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I logged out and back in, but that didn't fix it. Perhaps I can go back after the session ends and read everything.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

It is anxiety about sleeping that keeps me awake. As bedtime looms up I get a dry mouth and feel that I will not sleep and so I don't. The QHR rule doesn't work for me as I get anxious about that as well and I am thinking about the next time that I have to get out of bed instead of relaxing.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I saw what you posted about paradoxical thinking, but cannot find anything on it in the tools or library??

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

QHR?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

HI Jeddadee,
    It can take a while for the body to get used to the new routine of restricted sleep, this is quite normal, but it sounds as if you are experiencing high anxiety about the sleep restriction itself, or the changed pattern? Do the heart palpitations occur when you go to bed at first or do they occur before this (ie. when you would have gone to bed previously)? The best ways to combat heart palpitations (a symptom of anxiety) are to use the relaxation methods outlined at the start of the course and also the thought checker. This taps into the physical and cognitive (thought-related) symptoms of anxiety. Have you tried any of the downloadable relaxation tools at all? They may also help you at the early stages of the night. Use the thought checker to target the thoughts you are having about not being able to sleep, as I'm sure you are having many of these.

As for taking melatonin, it's a personal choice; you can use it to get you started on the programme here as you will still be able to use the techniques when you aren't on it. People still get results when they use sleep medication alongside this programme.

Hope that helps?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Yes, Peter, some people put the programme on pause during holidays – again it's a personal choice but shouldn't affect things too much if you simply delay SR.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

I understand what you are saying – it can be incredibly anxiety-provoking thinking about getting out of bed when all you feel you should be doing it trying to get to sleep – in your bed! However it's actually really important that you follow the QHR (quarter hour rule) and get out of bed after your approximation of 15 minutes because if you don't, your mind will continue associating your bed and bedroom with poor sleep, which further increases the anxiety felt when you go into your bedroom to go to bed. If you break this cycle, by getting out of your room when not sleeping, you increase the positive association between sleeping and bed. Hope that makes sense?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

You're right, I can't find it either. There used to be an article about this – I will contact the team and see what's happened to it. The basic idea is that, when you go to bed, you should repeat over and over to yourself “don't fall asleep, don't fall asleep” and aim to stay awake. The theory behind it is that those who can't fall asleep tend to spend a lot of time trying to fall asleep and use up lots of energy doing so. When we take the pressure off and tell yourself this instead, sleep takes over us. The wording is important here – the brain only hears the second part – not the 'don't'. It works well for some people when used at the start of the night…

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Oh, thanks. I've tried that unsuccessfully.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi Ecr,
    I'm sorry to hear this. Not sure if you're on live tonight but can I ask if you are at the sleep restriction part of the course yet? I'm wondering if the things we've talked about tonight ring true with you – that thinking about sleep has increased as you are going through the programme? This is pretty common and it is understandable to feel more depressed as sleep problems continue. Again, I would look at the thought checker when you come to it to target any thoughts that are coming up about the lack of sleep itself and, if you are increasingly depressed, I think it's always wise to speak to your family doctor/GP about these symptoms as depression can, in turn, make sleep worse.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi Barbichetta,
    That's great you have found mindfulness to be helpful in some way. I reckon if you are using it for up to 15 mins it is OK to do in bed, however I do always advise people to adhere to the quarter hour rule as the bed-sleep connection is so important and central to good sleep. Could you continue the mindfulness in another room after 15 mins of being in bed awake?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    I know it's near the end of the session, but I'm wondering if you're implementing the quarter hour rule at all? Just a thought given the efficiency score of 50%?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    If you click on the blue question marks beside each sleep diary question, this will guide you as to what you need to enter. I would stick with what sleep window you have been given and work with that if you feel all entered data is accurate based on the guided help.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

That's all for this session – thanks to those who joined me in discussion and for all those who left posts previously. See you soon…

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

This is the 3rd week keeping my diary, and my tasks this week is to reduce the awakening time that occurs from the initial sleep thru to the final last sleep. These times are my best quality sleeptimes, so moving them together by going to bed later and getting up earlier will leave me very tired for the day. The occasional time when this has occurred leaves me more subsequent tiredness which builds up. I still work and have to operate fine instrumentation, as well as drive there and back. I do not think this is feasible. I can manage by going to bed slightly later, but not by loosing quality sleep. Your suggestions please…..Tim Langford

Return to top