Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 18th June

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 18th June 8.15pm-9.45pm.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 12 Jun 2014 at 9:44 AM
  • 53 comments
  • 12 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi Mascan, thanks for your comments. I'm glad you now fall asleep more quickly.

It's tricky to fully work out why this may be without carrying out a fuller assessment of what's going on in general. A few things it might be are: general stress causing less deep sleep due to anxiety/dreams; medication; health difficulties; age; alcohol intake.

It is worth looking at these environmental factors first to see if they may be influencing anything. I'm aware not much can be done to reduce age (!) but worth looking into the potential reasons so at least you know why that may be going on.

Also, it's always worth revisiting the techniques in Sleepio and making sure they are being implemented as you did in the beginning. I can't speak for you, however I have met people in the past who gradually stop doing the things they have learned as they finish treatment, then things gradually get worse again as they aren't doing things completely accurately, as they learned in the beginning.

Hope there's something in there that helps, Mascan. If not, contact us again and we will have another think.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for that I will try it and see how it goes. I feel I don't actually really fall asleep any night, just dose off and never hit restorative sleep anymore. The slightest movement or noise will wake me.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

HI Ally, welcome to the session. I understand you posted a question – not sure I've got round to it yet…just making my way through the previous posts as it's quiet today in terms of who is on live….

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Hendo,
    Have you tried adjusting the bedroom environment? Are there noises you can reduce?

• Sleepio Member

• 1900 comments
    • 436 helped
    Graduate

Alison is taking over the counter pills not prescribed
    medication by a doctor of course you are the expert but in life there are some things you can do yourself.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Lindos, hopefully my reply to Mascanmay help you think about your circumstances, but if not, please post again and we will have a discussion.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

No noises at all really quiet and dark too, I really believe I'm not hitting the needed area for sleep to recuperate.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Colin99, thanks for your comment. It sounds like things are pretty frustrating for you just now. It's great you notice a difference in being able to fall asleep better, so that's a good positive.

Are you implementing the quarter hour rule? I'm not sure if you have got to that part of the programme yet. That helps with reducing that time in bed not sleeping, in order to increase the likelihood of sleeping well in bed eventually.

it's great you're working on the anxiety difficulties, as it may be this is what is keeping you from more solid sleep. I hope this helps resolve things for you on that front and in turn helps the sleep.

And yes, sleep restriction will help with that body clock. If you have struggled for years, your clock will be 'off', so all the best with this part of the programme.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

It's a daunting thing to start a programme to help a problem that interferes with your life so much. It's so hard to be positive sometimes when you don't get your sleep as it's so vital to our mood.

I am sure many on here have felt this way when they were at the start of the programme, too. Please keep in mind that there will be many techniques introduced to you over the next number of weeks that will target all the areas of sleep that are troubling you. The techniques in Sleepio are the gold standard for targeting sleep problems, and I have seen it work for lots of people I have worked with. It is good to bear this in mind when we are staring off on the programme. So, although things aren't great right now, you are about to get lots of help with it.

Not a quick fix answer, as there are none, but I wanted to reassure you and encourage you as you have only just joined. You will get lots of good techniques under your belt soon…

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Ally,

Just getting around to your question, thanks for the post. Is there a pattern as to why you wake? Is it anxiety/dreams/needing the toilet/something else?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Thanks for your words of encouragement, Theresa :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Arizonac,
    Great question. My answer is it is probably a combination. Appetite often is affected by poor sleep. Often we struggle more with decision-making as well after poor sleep, but we can over-eat when we are tired, as our body feels like it needs energy.

It may be handy to have a menu made up of things you would like to eat, so that you have pre-made your decision and pick something from your own menu. You can also have a prompt to eat healthy snacks (some people wear a bracelet/elastic band on their wrist) as a little reminder.

Hope that's something to start with…

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for that I really appreciate your kind words.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi blcl,
    Welcome to Sleepio. YES – you will be taught a very effective technique for this as it is one of the most common reasons people struggle to fall asleep. They build up a poor relationship with bed, so that bed is anxiety-provoking in itself.

I hope you enjoy learning these new techniques.

All the best.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

You're very welcome, Hendo78.

• Sleepio Member

• 111 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Dear Dr Creanor, I can't identify any pattern but I regularly seem to wake at 3am. Most times I go back to sleep in a few minutes if not I follow the QR, but I still seem to wake again at 4am again follow the QR if sill awake but this sometimes means I don't get much more sleep before getting up. I have my bedroom set up as advised for good sleep hygiene so trying not to get frustrated by this constant waking. I tell myself I am getting better sleep than for decades even with these wakenings, would just like to see if I could break the pattern?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Well done on reaching that efficiency! That's fantastic.

As for life energy, we tend to become more energised through lifestyle. This includes the basiscs such as eating healthily, taking regular exercise and not engaging in unhealthy behaviours such as smoking and excessive drinking.

However, it's also important to look at areas of life which may impact on mental health. This includes aiming to reduce stress and improve mood in general. This part is more complex and depends on what's going on in life. There are some things we cannot control in life, however we can decide how we react to some things. The cognitive element of Sleepio can help here by helping us to think more positively in general. Positive mood tends to lead to a more energised feeling.

You are the expert in your own life, so only you will know what areas may need tweaked. These are just the general areas that most people find they like to look at now and again if they feel they need an energy boost.

Hope there's something in there that helps you.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Ally thanks for your reply. perhaps taking an extra diary on why you are waking may explain the patter and help you change something. It's worth bearing in mind, though, that this may be a natural pattern of waking a couple of times throughout the night. Sounds like you are doing all the techniques well.

I have lots more questions to ask you, however we must finish the session now I'm afraid. Try the diary and see if anything emerges as a pattern – you might be surprised…

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Thanks to everyone for their posts and discussions today – speak to you soon!

• Sleepio Member

• 28 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Thanks. Yes, the anxieties are a major problem. For years my job entailed many 2AM phone calls and late work nights. At the same time, I had to be available for home issues. I think all of it together pulled my sleep apart and now I need to try to get it put back together.

I am doing the 15 minute rule. Only on the first week of it so it's still a little awkward but once it gets into routine I'm hoping it goes better.

Return to top