Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 17th July 2019

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 17th July, from 8.15pm to 9.45pm British Time or 3.15pm to 4.45pm US Eastern Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 9:30 PM
  • 42 comments
  • 15 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Thanks for getting in touch. I see that you've also just started the course, so welcome! Feeling as if sleep is not restful is a very common feeling and one that is tackled during the Sleepio course. Over the next few weeks, there will be several techniques you will cover to help achieve a more restful and better quality sleep. Many of the techniques combine to help with this problem. You also may find that progress continues way past the course as well, as you consolidate your new sleeping patterns.

As for your question as to why you feel more awake during toilet breaks than when the alarm goes off, it may be that you have woken due to the end of a sleep cycle (sleep cycles occur every 90 mins) at which point you are actually nearly awake. When the alarm goes off however, you may be in a more deep sleep, which leaves you feeling groggier upon wakening. Making sure you don't drink too much in the hour before bed and going to the toilet can help reduce the need for toilet breaks throughout the night.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

I believe it is next week that you will encounter the technique of the quarter hour rule. Here, the Prof takes you through what to do when you can't fall asleep at the start of the night or when you wake during the night – and gives you some suggestions of what to do at this time. You are supposed to get out of bed and go into another room to engage in a non-stimulating activity such as listening to music. Re the lighting, this should be dull lighting, such as lamp-lit rooms, but you will learn more about this soon. Hope that helps?

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Sorry can you clarify what you mean by 'fixed'? As in once it's been diagnosed it doesn't alter? Or meaning that it is the same for everyone?

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I believe the former, yes, but it's probably not true?

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Vicky.
    The last thing I feel like when waking on the night is getting up and doing something but I'll give it another try.

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Vicky.
    The last thing I feel like when waking on the night is getting up and doing something but I'll give it another try.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

When I worked I slept extremely well. Since retirement, even though I am more active than when I worked, my sleep is dreadful

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi and welcome to Sleepio! Thanks for getting in touch. I suppose what I think is important for those waking in the night who use a CPAP machine is to determine whether it is the apnoea, the mask, or insomnia that is causing them to wake up. If it is the two former factors, it would be important to discuss these with a medical doctor who knows your medical history well and who might suggest other options if the mask is too noisy/uncomfortable to wear and maintain sleep all night. If it is not either of these factors, then the techniques covered in Sleepio will be appropiate to apply. Sometimes to determine what is causing the wakenings, we need to have our sleep monitored in a sleep clinic, as they will be able to assess the most likely cause of the wakenings. Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Ah OK. So if someone has a diagnosis of insomnia, this can be removed once the symptoms improve as they will no longer meet diagnostic criteria for the disorder. Does that make sense?

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

I would wait until you cover this in the course so you are aware of the recommendations around it. It is often the most difficult thing to do – it goes against all of our desire to be comfortable and stay in bed! However as you'll discover from the Prof, it's really important to maintain a healthy association between bed and sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

It does, thanks a lot.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Thanks for your post. It's a common difficulty amongst shift workers – how to improve sleep patterns when daily work patterns are not consistent!

You may find this article helpful:
    https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/shift-work-and-sleep/

It notes that adjustment to shifts is often the key, rather than following a rigid sleep window which can prove impossible at times. It's also really important to ensure safety while travelling (especially if driving) and when at work, so sometimes the normal rules of Sleepio can't apply during shift work patterns (ie sleeping during the day).

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

You're welcome!

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

OK, thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi – again, this is a common question given the increasing media coverage about the amount of sleep we need. We all need different amounts of sleep due a range of factors that will affect it – age, activity levels, medical conditions etc. So this advice should always be taken with a pinch of salt. You may find this article reassuring:
    https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/is-it-true-that-the-average-adult-sleeps-7-8-hours/

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Thanks for your getting in touch. When it comes to medication, it's a very personal choice as to whether someone uses it to sleep or not. Some people find reassurance in using medication to sleep alongside the Sleepio techniques while others prefer to use the course alone. As always, and as per our guidelines, we don't advise on personal medical choices, however people often find it helpful to speak to their medical doctor/GP about this to help them decide the best route based on their past experience. In any case, if it is taking someone 1-1.5 hours to fall asleep, just remember to use the quarter hour rule to avoid the association between bed and sleep deteriorating and sleep efficiency reducing.

You may also find this article helpful:
    https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/sleeping-pills/

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your reply. I’m certain it’s insomnia that’s waking me up, as I don’t seem to have a problem with the CPAP, my AHI is usually around 3. I’m going to give Sleepio a good go to see if it does make a difference. I’m very positive!

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Positive attitude is always a bonus – I wish you all the best with the programme!

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

That's all for this session, folks – thanks for a lively discussion and I will speak to you again soon. Have a good week!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

Thank you for the reply. I'm looking forward to the next few weeks and learning from the Prof

Return to top