Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 16th January

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 16th January 7pm-8pm.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key – On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 14 Jan 2013 at 11:26 AM
  • 72 comments
  • 25 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 212 helped
    Graduate

Sorry got to go folks I have some bread to make before my wind down time…...Enjoy the live session and thanks Dr Creanor

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 30 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Creanor – I am not sure if you will be able to comment on my questions because they come from sources outside of the sleepio program; and so if you can't and don't want to I will perfectly understand. For me the 'sleepio journey' and community discussions have led me to read a little further on the subject of sleep and so I recently finished reading a book called 'Tired but Wired' by the author Dr Nerina Ramlakhan and also trying out a 'meditation' website called 'headspace.com'. Some of the information from this other sources.

Dr Ramlakhan does not advice sleep restriction and also seems to support power naps to promote good sleep and also . However her definition of a 'power nap' seems very similar to headspaces 'get 10' program, which is an introduction to meditation. I would be keen to hear your definitions of what constitutes a power nap and what constitutes meditation (appreciate that this might not be your area of expertise :)) I was just hoping to get your thoughts on the subject to help me understand things a bit better, but to re-iterate, I do appreciate that this is outside of the area of sleepio, but any thoughts welcome – Thanks – Paul.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

hi carrie11…recovery will be different for everyone but I wonder do you nap at all during the day? I ask because this affects our deep sleep, which we need for a more refreshing sleep. So if you do nap, try to avoid it and you may find sleep is more refreshing for you. A regular sleep schedule can also help improve deep sleep and subsequently help you feel more refreshed.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Goodnight Andy, sleep well xx

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi laureloakwood, I'm not trying to sleep for the whole 9 hours as my body clock seems to be around 6 hours or so. Because I'm up in the night for a couple of hours I'm tending to use a longer time in bed so giving me a longer SW.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

I did find a fixed rise time difficult to start with because I was finding it so hard to stay up late. Like a lot of others, I had a lot of problems with early awakenings after I extended my rise time a few times my my SE was above 90% and in the end my SE began to suffer. I've started the SR from the beginning again now and am finding it much easier the 2nd time around, especially staying up late. I'm going to keep a fixed rise time of 7am this time as that's when I need to get up for work etc and go to sleep 15mins earlier per week if the prof permits.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi paulhuntdeol. I'm afraid it is not my area of expertise. All the studies and books I have read during my training and beyond have supported sleep restriction as an effective method of improving sleep quality, however there will always be differences of opinion out there. I suppose i would always add that it is important to make sure any advice is backed up by solid research.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Well done for persevering grumpy imp…I'm really glad to hear it is working better for you now.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi Andy,
    Thanks for the advice. I will talk to my GP about it and increase my efforts at SR.
    Regards.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Hi there,
    It sounds like you're being very sensible about your sleep window to me. I have found that I sometimes go through periods where my sleep efficiency &/or quality fall and that getting strict with my sleep window seems to get me past this. I've never quite gone back to my original 5hrs though! xx

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Creanor.

I've had 95% SE for this week so I'll be able to go to bed 15mins earlier tonight. Yay!

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 30 helped
    Graduate

OK – Thanks Dr Creanor

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

hi juliaH..the quarter hour rule technique helps us to strengthen the association between bed and sleeping, thus improving sleep efficiency in general whether this is getting to sleep or staying asleep. There is lots of strong research around this technique. It is hard to get out of bed when it is so cold, so perhaps leave the heating on for just now or have a lamp on in the living room to make getting out of bed less unappealing….

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

jealous! I'm just finding a suitably boring, but not too boring, jigsaw…

Thanks Dr Creanor!

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Well done that's great! A nice wee reward…

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Thanks for all your comments tonight…that was a good chatty session…see you next time!

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Night all.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Good night everyone, sleep well! xxxx

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Thanks. Right now I listen to the radio in bed – it is my sleep crutch. It sounds like I need to break the habit. Would you advise I wait until I've done more of the course and learn more on different techniques?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your advice!

Return to top