Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 14th Feb 2018

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 14th February 2018, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 4:45pm US Eastern Standard Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 8 Feb 2018 at 12:42 PM
  • 9 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

My Wife and I Started using this past weekend the sleeptracker from BeautyRest to see how we are sleeping,is there a way to put this info into my Sleepio diary? Tom Leeper

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I have no trouble falling asleep, but wake up way too early. What do you think about light therapy?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am suppossd to stay awake till midnight but find i fall asleep in tne chair but can then struggle to go to sleep when I go to bed.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hello and welcome to the live Sleepio session. I'm here for the next 90 mins if people have any sleep-related or Sleepio-related questions. Let's begin…

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

HI thanks for getting in touch. For anyone struggling with the tracking devices, here is something a Sleepio user posted a while back about the FitBit – it may help with other devices too….

Click on the “Diary tab”, near the top right side click on “Connect tracking device”, on the next screen type in your Fitbit login and pasword hit enter and your Fitbit is connected.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hi there – thanks for your question. So there is evidence that using CBT and bright light therapy does help for people who have what we call Circadian Rhythm Disorders. This is when there is rigidity around the body sleeping at times that seem out of sync with most. However, some people do benefit from using a bright light in the winter months to help them feel more awake upon rising. What we tend to find, though, is that many people with insomnia do find that following a CBT plan (like Sleepio) does help the early morning wakenings without the need for bright light therapy as well.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Thanks for getting in touch. This is a very common phenomenon in people who are struggling with sleep.It is usually to do with the association we start to build up about our bed – it becomes a very negative, anxiety-provoking place when we have started to lie awake much of the time, anxious about our sleep and lack of ability to fall/stay asleep. The chair, however, isn't as threatening, so sleep happens easily there. What Sleepio will do is help reverse this association and restrict sleep so that it is more likely that sleep will happen in bed, leading to a more positive association between sleep and bed. In the meantime, however, it is helpful to engage in (lightly) stimulating activities when one feel sleepy and isn't yet meant to be in bed. Getting some fresh air either by walking outside or sitting by a window can also help to stay awake til bedtime.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

It's very quiet today – anyone have any other questions they'd like to ask?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

That's all for today folks – speak to you again soon.

Return to top