Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 13th June 2018

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 13th June, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 5:45pm US Eastern Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 7 Jun 2018 at 2:49 PM
  • 19 comments
  • 1 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am in my 5th week of the sleepio program. It has really helped. I have central sleep apnea & use a cpap. I was on a sleeping pill but have weaned off of them. One of my sleep issues is that I wake often throughout the night, sometimes 10 or more times. Most of the time I go right back to sleep. I don't feel rested after sleeping. Is there anything to help from waking during the night?

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

The program has helped with sleep onset, but I'm still having an issue with early wakening. 4 weeks into the program I am falling asleep quickly, which is a nice change, and sleeping for 5 hours. But when I have followed the protocol and extended the time in bed by 15 minutes weekly, I still wake up after 5 hours (then try to relax the rest of the allotted time, currently 5.8 hours.) And I don't feel rested. It's been this way for 2-3 weeks. I really want to sleep more, but so far extending the time in bed doesn't seem to work. Should I restrict even further? Maintain? Thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

On a related note, I'm never sure how to answer the question in Sleepio sleep diary about the quality of sleep. Lately I've been sleeping solidly until I wake up (after 5 to 5.25 hours), but I still feel very tired and unrefreshed. I'm not sure if it's a function of good but insufficient sleep, or bad and insufficient sleep. I do sleep through for those 5 hours, though. Is this “good”?

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hi and welcome to the live Sleepio session. Here we will discuss sleep and the Sleepio course. I'll be here for the next 90 minutes so please post any questions you may have. I see there are a few waiting so I'll answer these first…

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi and thanks for your question. So as you will know, sleep apnoea often causes night time wakenings but the positive here is that most of the time you are falling back to sleep. It sounds as if the quality if sleep isnt great though and although things such as a good bedtime routine, reduction of caffeine and relaxation can help to improve sleep quality through the night, I think it would be wise to speak to the GP about this given the background of apnoea, as per our guidelines?

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    Thanks for getting in touch. Can I ask if you're using the quarter hour rule when awake in bed?

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

I would advise anyone who wakes up feeling unrefreshed to note that the quality of the sleep they had was likely poor. It tends to be a very subjective measure when one wakes up to capture how they feel they slept. Hope that helps?

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hi – sorry I thought you were on live so thought I'd quickly ask about the quarter hour rule, but I'll answer more fully in case you're away.

First of all, what I'd say is that it can take a good few weeks to see any changes in sleep, depending on many factors about that person – for one, how long they've had sleep problems for. So if after 2-3 weeks there's no change in terms of early wakening yet, that's OK, it's still early days. It's great there has been quicker improvement elsewhere, though – well done!

In terms of early wakening, then – it can take a while so I'd maybe stick at things for now and see if it changes over the next few weeks, making sure that the quarter hour rule is being followed and there's as little time in bed while awake as possible. If it continues after a few weeks, feel free to get back in touch and we can discuss further options…

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Doctor Creanor,

I don't see it as difficult to measure the quality of my sleep, neither the SE of course.

But I don't see always the link between both. They can vary quite independent one of another.

I'm in week 3 now for a couple of days and I learn a lot and see even sleep improvement although things happening during the day can highly affect my night as such.

I don't have to much problems to stick to the sleep reduction although the days are a bit long.

And I had difficulties to implement the QHR until now. Less time in bed and then above this this rule…

I do it nevertheless from this night on.

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hi – you are quite right – sleep quality and sleep efficiency are different things. Sleep quality is how good your sleep is when you are asleep, while sleep efficiency is the percentage of time you are asleep while in your bed. So if you are in bed for 8 hours but sleep for 4 of those, your sleep efficiency is sitting at 50%.

I'm glad you're seeing some improvements – it can take time.

The quarter hour rule does seem counterintuitive to most people, however it really does help to increase the sleep efficiency, so worth while sticking to.

Good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks. I stepped away for a bit. In response to your question about the quarter hour rule, I tend to follow it EXCEPT when I waken early. That is, my sleep window is from 12-6; I generally nod off quickly w/SR and sleep straight through but inexplicably wake up at 5. Then, wanting to squeeze the value out of m sleep window, I try and relax until 6am. That interim period between 5 and 6 feels like very light sleep, but maybe I'm cheating and should apply the quarter hour rule. At that point, though, the sleep window would be just about finished.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

And I wonder if I wake up fairly close to the end of my window, if I should just get up for the day.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hi – yes, we would always recommend using the quarter hour rule with early wakening, too, as lying in bed (as tempting as it is when we wake) serves to reduce the sleep efficiency overall. It can be very frustrating doing it at that time, but if it's not, it may undermine any other work that's being done to improve sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Again – we would recommend implementing the quarter hour rule if there's enough time before the wake up time. Lying in bed relaxing for up to 15 mins is OK though.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

It might be worth setting up a chair with a blanket to make getting out of bed more appealing!!

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

You're welcome – good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

That's all for now – thanks for the questions. All the best using the strategies – speak to you again soon.

Return to top