Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 13th July 2016

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 13th July, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 4:45pm US Eastern Standard Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 7 Jul 2016 at 10:42 AM
  • 54 comments
  • 7 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi there,
    It is indeed different for every person – and also for that same person, it can change across the lifespan. What really matters is that you feel refreshed and are functioning well throughout the day on the amount of sleep you get.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I must have trained my brain, because these short toilet trips are not a problem. I can go back to sleep right away. I prefer to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated and for weight purposes. So “relieved” that it isn't a problem for my sleep window.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    THanks for your post. THis course is specifically designed to help people get better sleep without the need for medication, although some people use both, which can work well too. In terms of the issue of having one or two nights where you have to get up early, this is tricky. What I belive would work for those in this position is to train yourself to go to bed at the same time each night, which will help your body get used to the new timings. It would be like going to live in a country where the time zone was different. It means a sacrifice of the evenings during the rest of the week, but the body works best with regular schedules for sleep and so I think this would be the best solution. Cutting out caffeine during the day and alcohol would also help fell less stimulated. As well as this, following the rules in the programme for good wind down routines will help too.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

That's really good to hear – glad you can get back to sleep easily.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    Thanks for your question. It's hard to say why this might be without knowing the context but some people do find that they sleep for set periods and perhaps this is because this is what their body needs at that time. 4 hours is not long, mind you, but it may be shorter if someone naps during the day, for example.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

This is a common problem..because certain types of sleep are lighter, it can cause confusion about whether you're awake or asleep. We can only work on what your perception of the situation is so just enter what you believe was the case – whether awake or asleep. Unless you're hooked up to sleep monitors, it's the only way to record it. Some people in the past have made a small tally mark on a piece of paper by the side of the bed when they are awake with the assumption that if they do this, they must have been awake enough to know to do it! Worth a try?

• Sleepio Member

• 28 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Does poor digestion interfere with sleep and tired/sleepiness? I eat a healthy diet but it doesn't always agree with me. Any diet/food suggestions to complement sleep. thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    I would try and reduce the window further as you suggest (further restriction) – do the calculation again and see how much sleep you tend to get a night and make this your accurate sleep restriction period. If someone is still on a sleep window that is much longer than their sleep for a number of months it could be worsening their sleep. Also, just picking up on what you said about getting to sleep within 10 mins any time of day – I'm just concerned there are daytime naps. If so, these have to be cut out (unless on medical grounds someone has to nap) otherwise sleep restriction will not be effective.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Yes, absolutely. Worth speaking to a dietitian/GP about this as what agrees for one person won't agree for others.

• Sleepio Member

• 28 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I dib;t know if it is pertinent, but I am 80 years old and in pretty good shape except for migraines and sleep issues.

• Sleepio Member

• 35 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Yes it does help and gives reassurance.
    Sorry I meant that I try the different activities, when I awake and get out of bed. It's usually between 3 and 4am. I find I don't get sleepy and so can't return to bed, so little sleep achieved.
    I will review my sleep window, this was my thought and try to stop worrying!
    Thank you very much for your time.
    Seabee.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    I'm afraid I don't have access to that so am unable to see where the line lies to better understand it. I might suggest it is the average for good sleepers? I will ask the technical team and get back to you…

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    I'm afraid I don't have access to that so am unable to see where the line lies to better understand it. I might suggest it is the average for good sleepers? I will ask the technical team and get back to you…

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

food can have an impact on both sleep and migraines, so worth getting it looked into

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

very welcome – all the best with trying that out

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the suggestion – I will try restricting my sleep further but already struggling to function during the day so am very worried about staying up another 2 hours. My head is pretty foggy with a dull annoying ache. (No daytime naps anymore – but in the first couple of weeks of SR I would accidentally nod off 2 or 3 times a day)

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    Thanks for your post, however as it's a medically-based issue, your GP is the best person to know whether certain issues like this will affect other aspects of health such as sleep. Sounds like you're getting looked after and having things looked into!

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Sleep restriction is really tough. Not an easy thing to do, however having too wide a window will just mean you won't achieve better sleep in the long run. In terms of the headaches, speak to you GP about these too in case they can help.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    Perhaps this is one for the community? Many people have found great words of encouragement from those who have been through this themselves. Sleep restriction is one of the hardest parts of the treatment. Everyone hates it! However it has very good results and is only short-term until sleep starts to improve. Hoping others who have done this successfully have some words of encouragement for you…..

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

That's all for now – thanks for all the great posts today – see you again soon.

Return to top