Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 12th Oct 2016

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 12th October, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 4:45pm US Eastern Standard Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 10 Oct 2016 at 9:58 AM
  • 18 comments
  • 7 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hello again. I'm just completing the second week of SR with a 6.5hr window. Two or three nights in a row I can achieve efficiencies of >90% but then I have a night like last night where I couldn't get off to sleep, then woke very early. Sleep efficiency was around 65%.
    Is this typical, what you might expect in the first week or two of SR and in time it should improve? I'm sticking strictly to the programme, taking more exercise, have started yoga classes (!), getting up when I can't sleep but still finding it very challenging at times. Thanks again for all your help.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hello, I completed almost a full week of SR (with a 6 hour window, in bed 10pm-4am) but I had to give up as this seemed to make my insomnia a lot worse, with 3.5 hours sleep one night and more frequent waking than usual. It felt like torture, I felt physically sick on waking at 4am. I can fall asleep fine but it is the constant waking in the night that is my problem which leaves me feeling unrefreshed in the morning. I am doing everything else I possibly can: good sleep hygiene, diet, exercise, morning light therapy, no caffeine/alcohol, wind-down etc etc. I have increased my sleep window to 7 hours, 10pm-5am to see how I get on with that, but I am not feeling very hopeful. Where to next please?

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

One other question: I'm about to go on a week's holiday (in the UK) and am wondering if you can advise what's the best thing to do re sleep restriction? My inclination is to keep going with my current bed/rising times as I don't want to do anything that might slow or reverse my current progress. But it's also a holiday, a time to relax and an extra hour or two lazing in bed first thing sounds quite appealing.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Any tips on reducing daytime stress which keeps me from sleeping at night?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hello and welcome to the live Sleepio session.

I'll be here for the next 90 mins to answer any questions on the programme or the psychology behind good/poor sleep.

As per the guidelines, personal medical advice should be sought from people's own family doctors.

Let's begin…

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

can't get on

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi there,
    Well done for sticking so well to the programme. It is very hard to implement sleep restriction and it's one of the most challenging parts to adhere to, yet one of the most effective and helpful techniques in improving sleep. It is very normal to experience some good nights and some poor nights as the body starts to get used to a new routine, so if this happens, people should try not to worry about this. Over time, as the body gets used to the new patterns, sleep should become more consistent. Like anything, the beginning of something new is usually the hardest part, so people should allow for and expect some adjustment period at the start of sleep restriction.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

hello there – I can see your posts – hope you can see ours?

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

can't hear you. I hit control R and nothing happens. Is this an audio program or just answering questions

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I cannot see or ear Dr. Creanor, How doe I get into the program?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    Thanks for your post. Similarly to my previous post, it's important to remember that the start of sleep restriction in particular is very difficult. This is very normal. It seems counterintuitive to sleep less when one feel so tired. Yet the reason for it is to squeeze out all the bits of the night that we are in bed for but not sleeping. For example, the times we wake in the night and can't get back to sleep. It sounds as if this is a particular problem here, which would make the sleep restriction quite an important element to keep in place if possible.

In terms of increasing the sleep window, although this feels a natural thing to want to do when people feel exhausted, it can, in fact, put progress back quite a bit, unfortunately, when sleep efficiency is not increasing. The reason for this is that it will only increase the amount of time in bed that one is awake, which will affect the sleep-bed connection negatively and do the opposite to what sleep restriction aims to do.

So, although I appreciate it is extremely difficult, in order to get sleep back on track, my advice would be to go back to the sleep restriction using the original sleep window but also to make sure the quarter hour rule is implemented. Hope this makes sense.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi there – sorry for any confusion…this is a text-based chat so there is no audio or video component – if you can see the text then you are accessing the discussion just as you're supposed to.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi there again,
    This is a good question and one that is raised every now and again. The answer is that it's up to you. Some people when they go on holiday like to stick to the routine and keep going with the programme. Others prefer to take a break from the programme. Either is OK and it's a personal choice, all I would say is that, if you are taking a break, make sure to let the team know (email them at hello@sleepio.com) so they can adjust your Sleepio settings for when you pick it back up again.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    In terms of people struggling with daytime stress, there are many components of SLeepio that address this directly. Rather than go into all the techniques now, before people reach that part of the programme, I will suggest that people look out for the relaxation/mindfulness strategies and the challenging negative thoughts technique. These are specifically included to help those who struggle with anxiety.

We would always say as well that, if someone's anxiety feels particularly severe, it's worth going to speak to a GP/family doctor about it to get the right help for this problem – this can be done at the same time as getting help through Sleepio for their sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I have not slept more than 5 hrs. for the last 6 years. I'm tired so I go to sleep at 10/10:30 each night. I wake up 10 to 15 minutes later and refreshed. I can never go back to sleep until 2:20 AM. I always get up at 6:30 – 7:00 AM. I go to sleep when talking to others, at any traffic light stop, when I set down to watch TV etc. Sometimes I canned go to sleep all night and still I can't got to sleep the next night. I exercise every morning, drink decaffeinated coffee and don't take any long maps during the day and I still can't sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    It sounds as if things have been very tricky for the past number of years. Many people at the start of their Sleepio journey experience, as you describe, daytime sleepiness and when this occurs even at traffic light stops, this is clearly cause for concern.

Over the course of Sleepio, people learn ways to rejig their sleeping patterns to improve the length and quality of their sleep and reduce daytime sleepiness, so I hope many of these difficulties will be tackled over the coming weeks.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

We are still on for another 30 mins if anyone has any other questions?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

That's all for today folks – thanks for the questions and speak soon.

Return to top