Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 12th July 2017

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 12th July, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 4:45pm US Eastern Standard Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 5 Jul 2017 at 7:47 PM
  • 61 comments
  • 11 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi there,
    Generally we suggest that if people tend to get hungry late at night before bed, that they plan a snack earlier in the evening to avoid this hunger – it can lead to food sitting in the stomach when trying to get to sleep and can cause sleeplessness either at this point or during the night, so best avoided close to bed altogether…

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

where does “amorous activity” fit into the definition of bed as a place for rest? need to go elsewhere?

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Hello – thanks for your post and welcome to the programme. It's interesting because although you mention not feeling stressed/anxious at the moment during the day, I believe from what you've told me that this may be anxiety that occurs from worry that you are awake during the night. Night-time anxiety, connected to lack of sleep. It is very common for people to feel calm during the day yet get these feelings at night-time, often upon wakening. Feelings of tension in the neck is a very common symptom of anxiety. It is connected to what goes through someone's mind at the time – often, things such as “why am I awake again?”, “I shouldn't be awake – I wish I could fall asleep but I can't”. “I'll be awake all night at this rate!” etc etc

The Sleepio programme targets these thoughts, these physical sensations and also the behaviour needed to get sleep back where it should be, so rest assured all these things will be addressed in the coming weeks.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

HI there – good question to bring up…we tend to say that bed should only be used for sleep…and sexual activity – the only other activity that is OK to keep to the bedroom.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

HI,
    It's fairly common to sleep less well in a new place – this applies to good sleepers too and may just be a human survival mechanism to stay alert in new surroundings. If people are travelling, the programme can be paused if need be – if people need to do this officially, they can let the team know by emailing hello@sleepio.com but if it's only 2 days of travel, it shouldn't be too disruptive – try to apply the same routines and bedtimes/rise times if possible as this will help stay on track.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Expert

In my opinion, it's probably best to stick to the window as is and perhaps pause the programme (see my reply to similar question above this post) for that week. the reason I say this is that the regularity of the sleep window is often what helps the body learn the new pattern – if it is constantly changing, this will likely be disruptive…

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Hi there,

There is actually mention of this in the following library article, which may be of interest…

“Should you try to make up for lost sleep on subsequent nights?”

Although it is tempting, naps should be avoided at all costs as it will have a detrimental effect on overall, longer-term sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Expert

Good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Vicki,
    Thanks for your reply and I am looking forward to the rest of the programme. I do understand what you are saying about anxiety. However, I also sometimes get this “tension” build up when I am nodding off to sleep in front of the TV and wake up with a start, but not wake up properly. I feel this sensation builds up when I am in a semi-sleep/awake state. So when I have got this very tense sensation after nodding off watching TV, I find it hard to accept that I am anxious and worry about not sleeping properly, as I am not planning to sleep at that point anyway! Could there be something similar to Restless Leg Syndrome going on, but in my neck/shoulders?

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Thanks for your post…from reading this info I wouldn't worry too much about this as you have still been accurate with what you are actually sleeping right now, even although you've been using CBT techniques previously. As long as the info you input to the diary is accurate for you right now, the programme will use this to help any sleep problems ongoing.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

That's interesting – it might be worth having a GP/medical doctor assess the problem to get a medical opinion on this if you're worried it's physiological?

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

PS – should have said, I'm not aware of similar RLS symptoms in the neck….

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Sleep restriction can be done on trips in the same way as at home – by sticking to the time in that time zone, but it is pretty tricky given the effects of jetlag. I'd follow the advice re jetlag as much as possible – if there is a period when you won't be travelling, it is possible to pause the programme until that point to focus on SR at that time. Not sure if that's possible, however?

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm afraid I'm not an expert in either of these fields and so am not aware of the evidence of these treatments' effectiveness with insomnia, however I would seek advice from a GP/family doctor as to other options that may be available? they may know which direction to steer you best and may also know what is most likely to help your individual situation.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Sorry I just saw this…hope you made it on to see the session OK.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

That's all for this session – thanks for all the comments and I will speak to you again soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Vicki for your replies.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr Creanor, but I can't see this article in the library on Sleepio. Is it part of another article? I looked through all the articles but can't find it.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Calamity Jane – I found the article. I hadn't actually realised there was a “search” facility on Sleepio!

• Sleepio Member

• 153 comments
    • 67 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr Vicki. I don't know whether you will be able to read this now. Unfortunately we had wifi problems last night so I was not able to log into the session live.

You ask whether I nap – no I have never taken naps. I have always found it so difficult to drop off to sleep that I could never understand how people to fall asleep just for a few minutes.

I am also not aware of being stressed, which is why I said that I can't identify any health, personal or financial reasons why I should worry which is why I am at a loss

Thank you anyway.

Return to top