Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 12th December 2018

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 12th Dec, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 5:45pm US Eastern Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 7 Dec 2018 at 11:06 AM
  • 13 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 3

My votes for topics or my questions:
    -Your thoughts on different at home technologies to help with insomnia? (things like fisher wallace, or blue light glasses that filter blue light)
    -Can purposely staying up an entire 20-24 hours every week be a way to deal with chronic insomnia?
    -if someones personal experience is that doing weights late at night gets him sleepy would it be okay to ignore such “rule” as not doing exercise late at night?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

How do you deal with being unable to sleep as long as your sleep restriction window? What if you're consistently waking up before the alarm?

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 3

I’m wondering, on the app when you click __>help me go to sleep_>and then “I’m worrying about my sleep” _
    It gives you a mediation where you look at a spot on the ceiling , my question is ; if I sleep in a totally dark room do I do this meditation before entering my room ? It sounds ideal for bedtime but can’t see without light :)

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 3

me again ..when I click on help me go to sleep (on the app) , which option would be best if I’m not worried , tense and my mind is quiet however I just feel too energetic..?

• Sleepio Member

• 2640 comments
    • 430 helped
    Expert

Hell and welcome to the live sleepio discussion session. I’m Dr Vicki Creanor, a clinical psychologist with a special interest in sleep. I’ll be here for the next 90 minutes to answer any questions about sleep or Sleepio techniques. Let’s get started…

• Sleepio Member

• 2640 comments
    • 430 helped
    Expert

Or ‘hello’ even!!

• Sleepio Member

• 2640 comments
    • 430 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi and thanks for your questions.

I’m afraid I’m not able to comment on specific new ‘at home’ technologies as I don’t have personal experience with them nor do I know their evidence base. There is an influx of new technologies that claim to help with various mental health problems, however I would always advise people to read up on the studies that have been done around their effectiveness.

Your second query about staying up a full day to combat chronic insomnia is something that can be claimed to help, however again, not something I would recommend based on the clinical evidence base around sleep psychology.

Lastly, the recommendations made in Sleepio are guidelines based on what has been found to help the majority of people. If there is something that a person finds relaxing before bed that has not been recommended, it is still relaxing to them, so a little flexibility is ok. The reason heavy excercise is not recommended before bed is just because most people find that their bodies are too stimulated to fall asleep quickly.

Hope that helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 2640 comments
    • 430 helped
    Expert

Hi there. It may be that there is a need to have a fresh look at the sleep window and whether it reflects the average sleep time? The technique we recommend when people wake early is the quarter hour rule – where you get out of bed and move to a different room if sleep doesn’t occur again after approx 15 mins of trying.

• Sleepio Member

• 2640 comments
    • 430 helped
    Expert

Hi – this is really intended for when people are in bed as there is usually some degree of light in the room. If it is a total blackout, an imagined spot is ok. So essentially as long as the focus remains fixed. Shutting the eyes during the meditation may be a solution too.

• Sleepio Member

• 2640 comments
    • 430 helped
    Expert

Hmm I’m not sure what the options are at this point…can you remind me please?

• Sleepio Member

• 2640 comments
    • 430 helped
    Expert

That’s all for this session. Speak to you again soon!

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 3

the options are “I feel tense” , “My mind is active”, “ I cant relax”, “ I am worrying about my sleep” not sure which one would best fit when I am just not feeling tired nor preoccupied just too energized to sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 3

tx will try an imagined spot.

Return to top