Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 11th November 2015

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 11th November 8:15pm-9.45pm GMT.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you’re welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor won’t be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key – On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 6 Nov 2015 at 1:28 AM
  • 22 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Good evening.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great question Petalangel. There is certainly evidence that insomnia is partly heritable, but what genes might be at play remains unclear. If genes are to be reliably found it is likely that they play a role in general processes like stress reactivity/arousal, known to be important for insomnia and conditions that often co-occur alongside insomnia.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

it looks like you and I petalangel. anyone else joining us tonight?

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 5 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thank you, that's interesting, I thought it was too much of a coincidence.

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Does rather look as though were on our own ;(

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

interesting to know the types of sleep problems across the generations petalangel? and when did they begin, quite early on in life?

• Sleepio Member

• 142 comments
    • 29 helped
    Graduate

Just to say hi just logged in to see if i can pick up some info , nothing to ask really just to say hi. Trevor.

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

My father suffered as long as I can remember. He owned a shop in the local high street and knew all the beat bobbies because he would walk around at night.
    I've always been a poor sleeper, but for about 30 years I have severe bouts of insomnia. I took sleeping pills for years and then one day (20 years or so ago) I got a letter from the doctor saying they wouldn't prescribe anymore. So been trying everything else that I can since then.

• Sleepio Member

• 142 comments
    • 29 helped
    Graduate

Hi again Dr Kyle I have been advised by my Neurophyscologist to do some relaxation to help with my memory problems and was wondering if relaxation during the day could disturb my sleep at all at night.
    Trevor.

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi Trevor, very quiet here tonight.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for sharing petalangel. how are you finding the programme so far?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi trevor, great you can join. relaxation during the day should have no negative effect on sleep (as long as you are not falling asleep). on the contrary, it could support sleep at night, as well as help you develop relaxation skills for use at night-time, if you find yourself awake

• Sleepio Member

• 142 comments
    • 29 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for the reply Trevor.

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

The program has been tough and no mistake. After so many years I had tried a lot/most of the suggestions but I had never tried restrictive sleep, it's a killer but I'm getting good results. Just hope it keeps improving.

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the chat.
    Night.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great to hear you are making progress, Petalangel. As you say, a problem that you've had for so long may take hard work and time to improve but already the signs are positive. do you find you are sleeping in a more consolidated block and are sleepier by bedtime?

• Sleepio Member

• 142 comments
    • 29 helped
    Graduate

Hi petalangel not many at all , hope you are ok and getting some good sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

anyone else got a burning question/topic they would like to discuss?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for joining Petalangel

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that's our time up, thanks for joining folks and chat next time.

Return to top