Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 10th Oct 2018

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 10th October, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 5:45pm US Eastern Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 4 Oct 2018 at 11:19 PM
  • 16 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello Dr. Creanor,

My sleep for around a month has been under 5 hours. This week has seen it progress to 5.5hours.

I last worked in September '14 not for lack of trying and pursuing a business venture which recently could not progress. With constant if not frequent waking up tired and low energy levels I held back until better however, in the last 10 days I felt I needed to apply for jobs.

When I worked in 2011 for example I would doze off post lunch with low carbs. It concerns me that being in this low energy state I may find it difficult going. I know when I travel across London to visit my mother who is in a care home, I often cannot wait to sit down and rest minimising my movements from the chair!

I welcome your thoughts and advice.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Hi and welcome to the live Sleepio discussion session. I am Dr Vicki Creanor, a clinical psychologist with a special interest in sleep. I'll be here for the next 90 mins to take any questions about sleep or the Sleepio programme itself. Let's begin!

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Would be good if I can get a natural remedy not chemical to hit the sleep 'Switch'!

Brain sleep switch harvard medical school – https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181008083502.htm

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi thanks for getting in touch. It sounds as if things are a struggle just now but that you've been working hard on improving your sleep. It's impressive that your average length of sleep has, in fact, improved. This sounds as if it is testament to your hard work. I'm not sure by the information given how long the sleep problem has been going on for? Sometimes if it is a long-standing problem it can take a bit of time to get longer sleep periods and with this, usually energy starts to come back as well. Some tips may be to try and avoid naps during the day, even if feeling exhausted, as this impacts on sleep at night. But when people really are feeling so physically tired, it may be a good idea to get a medical doctor to check for any underlying conditions such as anaemia, which can also lead to exhaustion.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Looks interesting – I will have a read at this later…thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your advice. I seem to find low energy levels relate to my poor sleep. Even after being away from bed for a couple of hours I still do not go to sleep in the last seems around 6 weeks.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

I see you're a graduate of Sleepio – how are the techniques from the programme going, such as sleep restriction, quarter hour rule etc?

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Well I have been on sleep restriction for some 6 weeks or so and only this week see an increase in average sleep for the week. I did do the 15 minute rule and never dozed off to sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Expert

Ah sorry I had thought by what you'd said you had been doing sleep restriction for longer than this. Try not to worry that there is only improvement now – it tends to take a while for sleep to change as the body has been used to a specific (negative) pattern for a certain length of time. Everyone is different – so people may see that others on the forum improve their sleep quicker, however it's important to celebrate the successes when they happen and focus on this, as it can be motivating to keep going.

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

This is my second go at sleep restriction.

I am very concerned why I do not sleep when I return to bed. Confidence is not high applying for jobs knowing my low energy levels and how I may or may not perform especially with accuracy of work etc.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Usually when people find it difficult to sleep when they return to bed (even if they've previously been feeling tired) it's because of the negative association that's built up between bed and sleep. This is why the sleep restriction and QHR are so important – they attempt to break this association by reducing the amount of wakefulness in bed. Sometimes, other things are at play, such as low mood/depression and/or anxiety/stress. If these things are present, it's always a good idea that people seek advice from a GP so that help can be sought for these difficulties, too.

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Also I could awaken an hour or couple of hours before alarm goes off. It is hard get my self out of bed being low on energy and feeling weak. So wonder how I would do to get out of bed promptly to get to work on time let alone job performance.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

Again, the best way to combat early wakening is to use sleep restriction, which is sounds like you're doing. I think it is just a case here of keeping on going as much as possible using these techniques and seeking help if there might be an underlying stress/depression at play.

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Alright, thank you and so glad to have you all to myself!!

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

haha it's quiet tonight!

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 411 helped
    Expert

That's all for tonight – speak to you again soon…

Return to top