Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 10th January 2018

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 10th January, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 4:45pm US Eastern Standard Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 4 Jan 2018 at 1:04 PM
  • 33 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hello and welcome to Sleepio. Wakening in the middle of the night and being awake for a long time thereafter is a common problem we encounter when talking about sleep problems, so you're not alone and there are ways you will be shown in the next few weeks that can help people target this.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Gosh I'm so glad to hear such a positive outcome and attitude! Thank you for sharing! And long may it continue….

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Could I now ask as someone currently on a 6 hour sleep window – I get about 5 – 5.5 hours – and know I need more as the daytime sleepiness and struggle to get to midnight before bed is pretty crippling, How many hours sleep is generally recommended as ideal for a person on average ?
    Thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    Thanks for getting in touch. The techniques within Sleepio and Prof Espie's book will be very similar if not the same as he is the co-founder of Sleepio. I imagine there will be a good deal of overlap.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    This is a tricky question as people's sleep needs change depending on age, health etc so there is no true answer in terms of an overall average.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there – you may find this aticle in our library interesting to answer your question?

https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/how-to-get-a-good-nights-sleep/

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi,
    I have a 5 hour window, which means going to bed at 12 and getting up at 5am. However, if I can't get to sleep for several hours, can I extend my window from when I do go to sleep – or should I be getting up at 5am even after an hour's sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

HI there, thanks for your question. This very topic is addressed quite early on in the programme, so keep a look out for it. It is recommended that people do get out of bed after a certain amount of time (the programme will outline this) but it's usually recommended that no snacks/drinks should be taken at this time as it stimulates the body too much.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    Technically, it is recommended that people maintain the same rise time for the morning, even if they don't sleep the whole night. This helps the body learn the consistent pattern so that eventually it learns when to sleep. Hope that helps?

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

So with regards to the ideal number of hours of sleep / night we will be encouraged by the programme to increase our sleep window by 15 min installments over a period of time till the symptoms of daytime sleepiness and difficulty staying awake at the end of the day disappear I guess? Thanks again for your replies!

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Exactly – until the person feels that their own sleep pattern is serving them well during the day and night, but each person is different.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    Thanks for getting in touch. I'm afraid I'm not aware of the research on the links between the two, so I'm unable to comment at the moment.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

ChristineD I was really struggling with this – we seem to be at the same stage of the programme, session 4. I battled a number of agonising days staying awake after so little sleep acheived in my sleep window. Using saline eye drops (thanks Auntie Hoho) begged the sleepio community for permission to take a daytime nap (they strongly I suggested I avoid), alot of fresh air, food and chocolate and it has paid dividends and pressurised my sleep window in which I SLEEP – probably through sheer exhaustion! Im managing about 5 hours (3 nights only) but this is a relevation for me and has given me the momentum to battle on !! I just feel it is re-setting my system somehow and am encouraged by the community that it will get better. Good luck.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    Yes, I agree. Finally I have decided to continue with the online program as it is more convenient to use than the “manual” system and I keep the book for late-night reading and as reference in case any doubt comes.

This online sessions are very helpful, as well.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Good plan. I'm glad to hear you find them useful, thank you!

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Creanor

Do you have some statistics to share as number of patients that initiated the programme in the last year, average % of people that reached their goals, number of weeks that took them to get good results, etc.?

Are there any aditional actions that can be taken for people that don't get good results with the programme?

Regards – Pedro

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

I'm afraid I don't have access to that info, but you could email hello@sleepio.com to find out if these stats are available.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    Do you know if there is any relation between poor sleep and a tendency to get more weight?

Regards – Pedro

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

There have been various studies on poor sleep and weight gain, however again it's not my area of expertise, nor do I know the research well enough to comment on the most up to date findings. An online search may throw up some journal articles?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Thanks for the comments and questions this evening – speak to you all again soon!

Return to top