Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 10th February 2016

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 10th February, from 8:15pm until 9.45pm GMT.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 4 Feb 2016 at 2:51 PM
  • 15 comments
  • 1 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi, just finished week 2 of the SR. But, I haven't achieved the 90% sleep efficiency necessary to add the 15 minutes to my sleep time. Must I wait or would it be possible to add the 15 minutes?

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello again, Dr Creanor. I am on Week 5 of the Sleepio Course and it feels as if I have benefited greatly. My SE is at 90% or above and I am 'enjoying' the extra time I have at the beginning of the day by getting up when I first wake at 6ish.
    My question is about my SW. Though this has been reduced from 11.15. to 10.45 I am waking earlier than the 6.30 set getting-up time, sometimes as early as 5.30. Is this a question of 'tweaking' the SW?
    I have no problem getting to sleep at night, and my middle of the night awakenings are reduced to 10-15 mins. I am aged 69 so am expecting to learn that I no longer need 8 hrs sleep.
    The 'blips' that I have had have been associated with upsetting events that have unsettled me in the day and during the night, and though I have tried the techniques for calming my racing mind, I have not found so far that they work and my mood and performance then suffer the following day. More practice required here, I think!
    Also, what can I expect from the rest of the course?
    Thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Dr. Creaner,
    I'm in week 5. I enjoyed ten days of a SE averaging 90%. But three out of the last four days I slept 0 hours. I can't point to any particular cause. It's just that I can be following my bedtime ritual to relax, but as bedtime approaches I am filled with anxiety and fearful that I won't be able to sleep, which of course becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Btw, I've been doing the techniques.

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Creanor.

One last bit of advice please before my membership expires. Things have been going well, but I still can't quite kick the annoying habit of waking around 45
    mins before my official wake up time of 6am. This has been the same for the whole 3 months and I never make it to alarm time. My bed time has moved from 12 to 11.45 and I have no problem getting off to sleep. Efficiency consistently at around 90% with the occasional blip. I feel that I really need to get a solid 6 hours to feel OK but have coped with a lot less for years. Is this just the way it is for me now or is there hope?! I am not stressed about it but would like to nudge it in the right direction. Am feeling positive about the future in general and have followed the rules.
    Thanks

Juniper

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hello everyone and welcome to the live web session. Here, we will discuss any difficulties about sleep or the Sleepio programme. Personal medical advice should always be directed to your family doctor/GP who knows you best….

I'll wait a few minutes to see if anyone posts live then I'll start answering the posts already waiting…

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi Silveraven,
    Thanks for your question. Although it's widely acknowledged that Sleep Restriction (SR) is very difficult – and most people are desperate to addd more time to their sleep window – it's quite important that we wait until we reach around 90% efficiency before adding time onto it again. The reason is that, unless we are sleeping efficiently, any time added to our sleep window has the potential to damage our sleep-bed connection in the longer term as you'd likely end up spending more time in bed not sleeping.Hope that makes sense.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Isabel123,
    So pleased to hear how much progress you've made. As for theearly wakening, if you find you're getting to sleep OK, you could try shifting the sleep window back a bit so that you go to bed a bit earlier to see if this helps you to get a bit more sleep before you wake up at 5.30? As for the blips – I'm glad you're seeing them as 'blips' and not a full relapse as this is more realistic and positive. I would aim to concentrate on the challenging negative thoughts part of the course to help with the thoughts you are having about the upsetting events and this will, in turn, target your mood. Hope that helps?

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Ronald,
    It's very common that, when people have had sleep problems in the past and are actually starting to make improvements, they have the nagging thought and worry, “what if I slip back again?”...this leads to more negative thoughts and these thoughts are usually triggered as bedtime approaches. I'm glad to hear you're still doing all the techniques – the one to focus on here is the challenging of negative thoughts. People have also found that setting aside some 'dedicated worry time' during the day/first thing in the morning can help challenge these thoughts well ahead of bedtime so that, upon going to bed, they feel as if they have sorted out things in their head already and, in turn, the negative thoughts around bedtime reduce.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your comments. I will take your advice.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Juniper,
    Sounds like you've made great progress – well done! There are a couple of things you could do here – like I was saying to Isabel123, you could shift the sleep window back a bit and go to bed a bit earlier so that, if you wake at 5.15am, you'll still have had 6 hours' sleep. Alternatively, people in this situation could try going to bed a little later to see if this helps them sleep a little later at the other end. Mush of this tweaking is trial and error to see what works best for you.

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi doc.
    That's very helpful and not something I would have thought of on my own: that my success may be feeding my anxiety. I revised the thought checker and updated it to reflect this idea. Thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

You're welcome Ronald, glad it made sense.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

You're welcome Ronald, glad it made sense.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Just 15 more minutes of the live session if anyone else has any questions….

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

that's all for now folks – speak to you again soon!

Return to top