Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 9th January

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 9th January 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key – On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 7 Jan 2013 at 12:55 PM
  • 62 comments
  • 17 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

these are good points Dream On and TopDowner. I will pass the request onto the team. have you tried thought blocking techniques, TopDowner? You will learn of new strategies in the next couple of sessions that can assist with the racing mind.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

I meant above 90% sleep efficiency of course!

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Sorry got to run folks my football is on…....enjoy the live session folks and thank you Dr Kyle.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi JackieC. thanks for the comments. It sounds like you have made some great progress (sleeping right through). sleeping in one day and then up early the next means that the body clock is not receiving reliable light-dark signals each day, which may mean that your sleep quality and timing can become more variable – this is why a fixed schedule is very important. So a fixed schedule – alarms clocks, help from partner, may be important in the beginning. Also making sure that you are allowing enough time for you to sleep at night (not staying up too late on PC etc.and being exposed to light late on)

• Sleepio Member

• 20 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi! I am on week 3 and my first week of SR. My biggest problem is getting over to sleep. Usually I am ok once asleep and only waken briefly. It takes me over an hour to get to sleep. Should I move my times? Or force myself to get up at the scheduled time? What can I do to help with the getting over to sleep?
    Thanks
    Ruth

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great point about quantity and quality, Grump Imp: they're not necessarily the same thing.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle, I have recently purchased a light box so am going to set it to come on at the same time as my alarm, hopefully this might improve things.

• Sleepio Member

• 703 comments
    • 235 helped
    Graduate

When I read what the half life of a sleeping tablet meant, it put me off them for life.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Grumpy Imp, best to fix a rise-time. Light in the morning at a reliable time is one of the most potent regulators of the body clock.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks, Ruth. It might be best to give it a go for a week, adhering to the schedule as much as possible; it can often take 1-2 weeks before benefits are observed. then you could review it after a week, which may mean a change to the position and length of the window (a reduction in time in bed).

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Excellent. I wish I'd done that before but I was finding it so hard to stay up past 11pm. I haven't had much trouble staying up till 1.30am this week though so hopefully the SR will be more effective this time.

Cheers

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Just one last question if you've got time! It's been a busy hour.

I know what deep sleep and REM sleep are for but what is the purpose of light sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great Jackie do let us know how you get on. The light boxes can certainly be very good for some people, and particularly for those who feel more impacted by seasonal changes in light levels

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Happy New year everyone!! Sorry I didn't make the session – I will next week!

Sleep well xxxx

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great question grumpy imp -stage 2 sleep often makes up 50% of our night! yet few people talk about this phase of sleep. recent work suggests that stage 2 sleep seems to be involved in memory consolidation and learning (possibly skill learning). Stage 1 is really a transitional state and the function(s) have not been elucidated

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks for joining tonight folks. sorry it was a bit rushed, lots of interesting questions tonight. have a good week and speak next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Interesting. My EEG sleep monitor says that I'm getting plenty of deep and REM sleep but the light phase is much lower than it could be because of all the frequent awakenings.

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Hi Honeybuntzt. I have suffered from bruxism all my life. I still do but much less now. What made the biggest difference was when some years ago my dentist did a lot of work on my bite. Since then it has greatly improved. You can also get mouth guards I gather. Although stress made it worse over the years, I still had it when I wasn't stressed at all.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Camarco – I see I missed your comment, so I'l quickly reply. Jet lag is very normal and can take usually a day per change in time-zone (so possibly a week, though that can can very person to person) until you fully synch with the new environment. fixed exposure to light in the morning, regular meal times, avoidance of napping, fixed rising time in the morning (like in SR) should all help you to get back on track.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi, I missed the session. I believe your idea is great i.e. to have a separate session re:sleeping pills. was there a respinse to your suggestion? thanks

Return to top