Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 8th May

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 27th March 7pm-8pm (GMT).

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue “Add a comment” button; or
+ vote on other people‘s questions, by clicking the blue “Yes” button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 2 May 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 31 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Expert

Hi Sebgeneve. Sleepio is a 6 week programme which introduces new sessions and strategies on a weekly basis. These strategies are adjusted based on how one sleeps in between sessions. Thus, information is not delivered in one major session. I see you are due to take your next session in a couple of hours (certainly, today) where you will be guided by The Prof on new strategies to implement with a view to improving sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Hi sebgeneve the first two weeks can seem a bit slow and frustrating but hang in there and you will benefit. Just keeping the sleep diary and trying the prof's tools can be a helpful grounding at the beginning, but I really understand you impatience. When we are sleep deprived it can all seem very hard to cope with.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Ok I do have a question tonight…I have a daylight alarm clock, that also has a sunset function when I go to bed.

Now, should I put my “lights off” time as the time when the light actually goes out (about half an hour after it's set) or the time I set it?

I'm usually asleep before it's completely gone out…I think it's skewing my SE a little, since I put the alarm/sunset on when I go to bed, but the light goes out half an hour later- making it seem in my diary as if I'm in bed & doing awake things til the light goes out!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

HI LOW – can I just make sure I understand. you put a light on when going to bed? Heard of the awakening lights but can you tell me how you implement this at bedtime.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Graduate

Hi there,
    Welcome to sleepio! Unfortunately there is no “magic bullet” to cure insomnia. The sleepio course guides you through a succession of exercises & gives you lots of information to help you help yourself over the 6 weeks & beyond.

The first steps prepare you for the hard part (sleep restriction) and builds up a picture of your routines through your sleep diary. It also gives you tips on how to improve your sleep hygiene, bedroom environment etc so you will be in the best possible position to make the most of the course.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for sharing your experiences LOW and Polly Sheep

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

The light is adjustable in brightness. It gets gradually brighter to wake you up.

If you set the alarm to wake you & put the light on a bit when you get into bed, it will gradually dim then turn itself off.

My confusion comes from whether I should record when the light goes out, or when I set it to dim…?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

HI LOW – the lights off should be recorded for when you turn off the main light-switch and not when the dimming takes place. Are you finding the light helpful? I ask because light during the sleep period may affect melatonin secretion during the night and we would normally encourage complete darkness, with dim-light ideal (but rarely practised) in the hour or so before going to bed. But if you feel you are deriving some benefit?

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your reply. I will try and move towards the recommended figure as you suggest. Sunlight is at least available at this time of year in the early morning :) I can see the sense in all this and I do have some optomism, but this just does not get me out of bed quite early enough. Will try harder!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

That makes a lot more sense! Thank you!

I have found the daylight alarm a much easier way to wake up in the mornings. I use a dimmer switch in the living room in the evenings as well as the sunset function on the alarm. I think it makes it easier for me to feel ready for bed when I have dimmer lights. I know it might not work for everyone, but it seems much easier on my eyes than bright light!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks JC3 – hopefully other sleepio members will also be able to share their experiences with you about the early implementation of SR… you are certainly not alone, can be quite tough initially…

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

It certainly feels lilke it gets worse before it gets better!!
    But it does work if you are able to stick with it.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for sharing LOW, sounds like you've developed a strategy that works!

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

In a way JC3 you have a 'desirable problem' as I presume your finding it hard to get out of bed is because you are asleep when the alarm goes? This is something that never used to happen to me ever, and now occasionally. Mostly I wake up an hour before any alarm, and struggle to get any more sleep (this is improving slowly) Usually I struggle more to stay up late than to get up early, because I am falling asleep on the sofa.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Laura, Why can't you set the alarm to be completely dark by the time you want to go lights out and be asleep, or at least working towards it. Could you set it a half hour before you do now?

Suella

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

I shall try your suggestion & let you know how it goes next week!

Right, i'm off to feed a hungry pushkin!

Good night everyone, sleep well!

Thank you Dr Kyle!

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Night all. Sweet dreams!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi All, that's us for tonight. quite quiet this evening but many thanks for joining and contributing. Have a good week and speak next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Polly, thank you for your comment. I am not sure you'll see this but my 'desirable' habit is a bit more complicated. I nearly always wake earlier and whether I get back to sleep or not it is difficult to get up (for different reasons ofcourse). I have a very long-standing habit to break so it is going to take time. Best of luck to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

I am trying to figure out how long you need to be in deep sleep before you reach REM. I had three sleep test and each time I don' t reach REM. So now I have the Up band and am trying to figure it out. Please help.
    Thanks,
    Diana

Return to top