Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 8th August

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 8th August 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 2 Aug 2012 at 9:37 AM
  • 81 comments
  • 12 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

do you sitll complete a daily diary anita9355?

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

that is a good point about focusing on relaxation-thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 212 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Yes I do

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

thanks nightjar. i wasn't just meaning me. there seems to be an undertone of this in the session tonight. i'm actually ok with rolling change. my life seems to have been built on shifting sands so it has been the norm and for the same reason i'm also quite attuned to figuring what has caused a shift. i just can't make a connection between the problem i still have – the latish single wake up which can last a couple of hours – and anything else in my life, inner or environmental. back to basics is good. that's what got me to this ( much improved) position and i just wonder if the brilliant but generic help from sleepio needs a tweak for an individual prob.
    so i'll refresh my acquaintance with the early sessions, ensure i'm doing it all carefully and perhaps rejig my window. and keep plugging away.
    goodnight all. got stuff to do before i start winding down.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

sorry gillian352, this is just jargon. I mean tuning down mind and body, to help faciliate the initiation and consolidation of sleep. cognitive techniques/putitng the day to rest, 'detecting' appropriate sleepiness, keeping fixed bed and rise times, eliminating napping, developing tolerance to the odd poor night/day of sleep, can all help in reducing this over-arousal and allow sleep to overcome wakefulness.

• Sleepio Member

• 212 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

I know I did it at the beginning but im a bit rusty now!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

it might be useful to review the diary over a week, then assign yourself a new time in bed (sleep window) based on average total sleep time – the standard SR instructions. have been implementing SR rcently?

• Sleepio Member

• 137 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle. I do practice those kind of wind down techniques, so will just keep on trying and hopefully get back to sleeping better. Thanks for all your helpful comments tonight and always. Good night everyone. Sleep well.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

happy to spend a few more mins folks (if that's helpful) seeing as we were disrupted by fire alarm!

• Sleepio Member

• 212 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

I was sticking to it rigidly but had quite a big window & then started reading at bed time – thats the only rule I broke, honest! Could that really be a contributing factor??
    Last couple of nights ive cut it right back.

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Night everyone-thanks for the chat tonight-very helpful

• Sleepio Member

• 137 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Anita – I think it could! My sleep really started to improve from the moment I stopped reading in bed!

• Sleepio Member

• 212 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Im getting between 0 & 4hrs at the mo so think I will go back to 1.30am-6.30am. Oh joy!

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Anita-I started reading in bed again and think it impacted on my sleep so have stopped

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

quite possibly anita9355. again it may go back to 'some people are more vulnerable than others'. reducing the window might help regulate your sleep cycles as well as the proportion of specific sleep stages, finding that you may feel as refreshed with a shorter time in bed. an important thing is consitency of bed and rise times, and reading may introduce night-to-night variability. if that makes sense

• Sleepio Member

• 212 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Yes think I got a bit cocky maybe letting a few things lapse.
    Sometimes though I just think I wish I was a 'normal sleeper' who didnt have to put all these things in place. I soooo envy good sleepers – I even get jealous of my partner sleeping while I am lying there awake!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks for joining tonight everyone and sorry we didn't get through every question. I think 'back to basics' might be a good phrase to finish on. wishing you the best for the forthcoming week. stay positive and speak soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 36 comments
    • 15 helped
    Graduate

Thanks nightjar. Will see if i can find something

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

dd, if I wake up at that time of day (6am), I assume that is my time to get up and do so . I do have an open pretty SR now, but try to get at least 7 hours in if possible. It does take me some time to wake up properly, so I have a cup of tea and do some emails first thing.

Sleepio reporting first of course. I'll run the risk of forgetting exactly what happened if I don't do it straight away.

It sometimes takes me time to feel spritely, which I'm guessing is one way to describe what you are feeling?

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

May I suggest that there is nearly a full moon now. Might that be affecting some of our sleeping patterns? Worth looking at a monthly reoccurance of good sleep and disturbed sleep.

I know we have discussed this before and nothing has been proven. Worth checking our own sleep diaries however just to see.

Return to top