Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 7th March

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 7th March 8pm-9pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 5 Mar 2012 at 10:15 AM
  • 59 comments
  • 35 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

I'm just about fully synchronised early riser. It was difficult in the early days, when I was struggling to stay awake beyond 5pm! But I'm getting there!

• Sleepio Member

• 278 comments
    • 55 helped
    Graduate

what's the best way to deal with jet lag dr kyle?

• Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    Graduate

I'd agree with that; I think one of the strengths of the Sleepio course is that it has increased my understanding of my sleep cycle, as well as all the factors that affect it, and how we may influence these

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Many thanks Chris. I think putting it altogether through understanding sleep processes a bit better can be very helpful when doing the course. The field of sleep research is so young that we're learning new things literally every day.

• Sleepio Member

• 45 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Hello everyone. better late than never. Did something tonight I have not done for a very very long time!! I sat down after my evening meal and nodded off. Can't remember the last time I have nodded in the day time.Oh well that probably means not much sleep tonight..Monday night I only got one hour so that's probably why. I've been really bad in keeping to my sleep restriction and getting up later than I should. Really must be good as it certainly helps. You really need to keep the regular times to get the full benefit of this course. I promise to myself to try better again.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Great question! I think trying to synchronise with the new time zone in terms of light exposure, meal times and activity can be very helpful, early riser. Depending on how far you've travelled and in what direction it may take a shorter or longer time to adjust. It's been interesting for me , having to resist wanting to lie down in my bed several hours before my new bedtime. And I did fail on one occasion , but persevered and now feeling like an Aussie!

• Sleepio Member

• 278 comments
    • 55 helped
    Graduate

thanks Dr Kyle hoping to spend Christmas in Canada, so this will help ;) enjoy the sun!

• Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    Graduate

Any new nuggets from the field of sleep research?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks tonightsthenight It is completely normal (and expected) to miss the odd night. If you can try and devise a plan of things that will help improve your adherence that can be very useful. Like setting alarms, enlisting the help of a partner, exposure to some light in the morning and thinking about activities that you can do either in the evening or morning.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks early riser, there is a storm going on right now as I type! No Beach today!

• Sleepio Member

• 45 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Kyle. I think I will find it a lot easier to adhere to the 6.15am rising time now that the morning are getting a little bit lighter. Lovely sunny day today until this afternoon and then Snow and hail for half an hour.
    My sleep efficiency has improved considerably over the last few months and I'm hoping for still better results if I am stricter with myself. Thanks again

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

You've put me on the spot tiredeyes :) just now I am working on some research on sleep restriction, though it is too early for final results. You may have heard about the sleeping pill and mortality study published last week and then some work suggesting that insomnia is increasing in England.

• Sleepio Member

• 58 comments
    • 31 helped
    Graduate

Bye Dr. Kyle and thank you. Hope the storm clears up and you make it to the beach. Enjoy your holiday. Goodnight everyone!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Great and thanks for sharing tonighsthenight.

• Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    Graduate

Yes, heard about the study you mention, but not seen details. I winder, is the increased mortality down to the pills, or the reason the pills were being taken i.e. insomnia?

• Sleepio Member

• 278 comments
    • 55 helped
    Graduate

g'day dr kyle, get yourself to the spa instead of the beach g'night fellow sleepios ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Many Thanks for joining everyone! Have a good week and hopefully 'speak' same time next week.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

Click on the blog tiredeyes there is a reference there to the article.

• Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    Graduate

Thanks, Goldie, I hadn't realised this was in the blog. Yet another reminder as to the wealth of information on the Sleepio site

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

I realise that every now and again I need to browse the site go to places I haven't been to before or recently and keep myself hearing about all the discussions that are going on. Sleep well!

Return to top