Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 6th March

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 6th March 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 1 Mar 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 62 comments
  • 20 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

thanks Marcus – interesting point. I'll certainly have a look at the literature and report back next week to everyone with some evidence.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great point meerkat – recognising the signs of sleepiness during the day are important when undertaking the programme.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi ellenmarie – it's best to practice first in the early evening. it can often be quite difficult to learn the skill of 'relaxing'. it seems our modern lifestyles are even making it more difficult. then of course to use during the sleep period. don't be disappointed if it doesn't have an immediate effect, relaxation is a skill that required practice over time. good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr K and others, I'm having to abandon the discussion again tonight… rural broadband, agh…

Sleep well everyone!

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle.

Related to my earlier question, more specifically, do you think you can accustom your body to waking up with an alarm and thereby more easily fool it into sleeping longer by going to bed earlier? The opposing hypothesis would be that the alarm may train your body to wake up after a specific period and thereby make it harder to sleep longer.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi Polly Sleep and other sleepio members who are just starting in the first few sessions. Sometimes you might see some jargon (usually QHR or SRT) – these refer to strategies that you will be taught by the prof in later sessions, so don't worry until the prof introduces them. The course is designed to build on success week-by-week and although it's very tempting/and normal to think far ahead, try and focus on each session (so as not to overwhelm with information). hope this helps

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

I’m wondering why is reading not okay for the wind-down routine? I have regularly read before turning out my light and find it helps me to relax. If I were to watch TV, as is one of the suggested relaxation activities, what about the effects of staring at a bright screen? I thought the bright light was supposed to interfere with normal sleep. Just before starting this program, I had avoided watching any TV for at least an hour and a half before bed, thinking I was doing a good thing!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi bryan1939 great point – these strategies might make a very small difference but have no evidence as effective strategies for improving sleep in those with long-term difficulties. while having a bath might be at odds with a decrease in temperature that facilitates sleep, some have argues that the body “over-compensates” to try and cool down after the hot bath/shower which might in fact help sleep. But the point is that this is no magic bullet for improving chronic sleep difficulties.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Week 3 started as a nightmare (no pun intended) My bed time was 3.00am! The first couple of nights I clockwatched, between reading and watching old movies on TV. Now I structure my time. e.g Online Scrabble for an hour, dredge something not too exciting to watch on TV then read my book for an hour. By then it is getting ready for bed time. It hasn't made any difference to my sleep time yet, but it fills the long hours in having a sort of timetable. Good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for sharing katecelyn

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi marcus – it's more likely than having a regular rise-time with an alarm can help entrain or synchronise the circadian rhythm to expect to rise then. The important thing to bear in mind is that sleep is most likely to occur when the biological processes (sleep pressure and body clock) work together, the mind is not racing and the environment is comfortable and sleep/relaxation “inducing”.

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

will try not to anticipate and get anxious about week 3. My sleep has gone haywire since I joined but I am relaxing with a 'bodyscan' recording when I go to bed, and it helps me at least be less anxious

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle.

I'll work toward restricting my window (by going to sleep a little later) until I wake at the alarm time (which is my ideal wake up time) rather than before it and see how it goes.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great points Angief – sleepio strips everything back, so we want to create a “pure situation” and then build on it. Reading in another room would be a possible alternative. and cutting down stimulating TV may help. It's often light from ipads computers and phones that are close to us that would have the biggest light-altering effects, but the research is very young so I think your conservative plan may be very helpful. the key is to find a non-stimulating activity and to conduct this away from the bed. the bed/bedroom is really only for sleep (and sex)

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

dear all, that's us out of time. what a great session – some great questions. and sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to all posts. I will certainly try next week though. Have a good week and sleep well.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the session!

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

Thanks from me too.!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Im in week 4 now and am finding some relief….however, whenever i complete my daily diary i have more often than not checked “poor” on sleep quality regardless of my efficiency rating…is this typical for the long time insomniac that I am? I know it's not a magical turn-around in one day's time…please comment, TY.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

As I'm still very tired due to the short duration, that's also my experience so far JGsleeper.

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Earliewr Dr K replied to a similar question (maybe this session, maybe an earlier one) and said yes, quality improvement did tend to come later than quantity. I found that very reassuring!

Return to top