Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 5th September

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 5th September 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 29 Aug 2012 at 4:10 PM
  • 58 comments
  • 9 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

That sounds similar to my experiences NJ. Except I'd often fall asleep quickly, but only for up to an hour, then wake up/doze/wake up for the rest of the night

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Sorry, I should have said I started the program from the Overcoming Insomnia book and I have joined the Sleepio program for extra support, so I am doing SRT from the book.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Definitely worthy of research!

If only I'd known years ago how to train myself to sleep properly!!

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

bye nj take care sleep well

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

That makes sense, many thanks for the additional information about Sleep Efficiency.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks sleepless dave. have you been doing it long? in some ways it might be better to wait until 'The Prof' introduces it to you. at this point you will also be able to read articles with information about SR, to get some more in-depth knowledge. But to alleviate any concerns, SR can be difficult in the early stages, building up sleep pressure (through often partial sleep deprivation initially) will help you develop a strong consolidated (and less variable) sleep pattern. Always avoid driving/operating heavy machinery though if you are excessively sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sleepless Dave, I think a few graduates bought the book before starting the course, then discovered they did better when they concentrated on the course, but used the book to help explain things…(i don't have the book, I just remember people chatting about it in the threads a while back)

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi All, sorry I am late to the discussion!

Two questios:
    1. To what extent is extreme anxiety (frequent panics, distressing thoughts, feeling out of place, physical symptoms) common in someone who recently realises they have insomnia?
    2. How stricy should I be with the 15 minute rule? If I am in bed and relaxed is this ok? I found myself wondering when 15 mins was up (and therefore not sleeping!)

thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Finally got here during a live Session Hooray!

thanks for your reply Dr. Kyle, I've just had my blood sugar tested as well as liver and kidney function as well. I'll see on Friday what the position is likely to be. If I wake in the small hours 2-3am usually I do have a hot water and soya milk drink and sometimes a spoonful of peanut butter. It depends when I go to sleep. I have a rather big sleep window which makes things easier for me with ME.. (I'm a great sleeper, but was waking a lot as well which isn't healthy.)

Greetings to you all!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi there, I think the stress/anxiety symptoms are part of the insomnia in many people, certainly those I've chatted to and myself!

The QHR is there so you DON'T lie in bed wondering how long you've been awake for!! If you're awake long enough to start thinking about it, get up & do something from your wake-up plan until you're sleepy-tired before you go back to bed!

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

physical pain for me does lead to insomnia and to some extent depression, please dont us a clock to judge the 15 minute rule

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

hello Suella good luck with the blood tests

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks sleepless dave. there is certainly a strong connection between anxiety and disturbed sleep (including all the symptoms you describe), often poor sleep and anxiety go hand-in-hand, influencing each other, though not always. Good to speak to Gp about any symptoms if you're concerned about them (and if you've jsut recently noticed/been affected by them).

the 15 minute rule is just an approximate time, we don't want you counting down the minutes or checking the clock, just a rough estimate. practicing the rule a few times, you will get the hang of it. 'The Prof' will go through these techniques in a bit more detail and introduce other techniques (like msucle relaxation) that can help put everything together, in order to maximise the most benefit. that's why it can be useful to progress through the course (and use the book as an aid, but whatever you prefer to do)

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Suella!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi Suella, good luck with the blood test results!

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

sorry folks just seen the time I have to go as I have pre-bed tasks to do before wind down time
    sleep well all and thanks for a good session Dr Kyle and thanks for you for your time too….Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for joining tonight everyone, good range of topics. look forward to chatting more next week. also, there will be another research bulletin coming out next week with the latest in sleep research, so keep your eyes peeled.

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your comments, they are reassuring.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Good night all, sleep well!

Thanks Dr Kyle!

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Nice to be here in the closing stages of the event. I'll try to put Sleepio Wednesdays in my diary now, as the nights are drawing in. I can't be doing the horses in the dark, so will adjust my day accordingly. It also just does happen to be my current Prof appointment day as well.

Looking forward to the next research bulletin.

Return to top