Live discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 5th November

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 5th November, 7pm-8.30pm GMT.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 1:06 PM
  • 35 comments
  • 4 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

many thanks for sharing anniem and your sage words

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks won052. have you experimented with changing the position of your sleep window, delaying it slightly? It certainly is encouraging that you are achieving a solid block of sleep, but if I understand you correctly, it feels at the wrong time? have you always been an early riser?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi FredHK. many congrats on your sleep improvement. Ideally once you are achieving your “sleep need” (feeling restored on awakening and during the day), then you should be looking at a consistent sleep efficiency of 85% or more (so in this case you might then spend 7.5hrs in bed). this will help keep out the excessive time in bed spent asleep. In terms of quality, it is worth referring to our pages on sleep apnoea and restless legs syndrome, so you are confident that these problems are not at play. Beyond that, a stable routine, active (engaged) mind and body during the day, as well as an important well-developed wind-down can all help with the consolidation and quality of sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Flick, many congratulations on your progress. firstly, I see you are still progressing through the course and in my experience, improvements in sleep quality and daytime functioning operate at a slight time-lag from things like sleep efficiency and total sleep time. so it is likely you will experience further improvement over the coming weeks and months as your schedule stabilises further. Also, see my post above in relation to assessment of sleep quality and related factors.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Dibby. I've heard many similar experiences before, so you are not alone. I should also say very well done on your progress through the course.

I think the difference between sleepiness and fatigue should be noted. often people with poor sleep feel exhausted but also “wired” at the same time and this over-rides feelings of sleepiness. The “wiredness” may relate to e.g. over-active mind, or physiological over-arousal. Thus, I think stabilising sleep-wake times, implementing a solid routine with a wind-down, and squeezing out time in bed awake, returns normal drive for sleep (sleepiness) at the correct time (night-time).
    It is very common for us all to have the odd night of poor sleep, like you had recently, but now that you are making headway with the course, returning to your schedule will reduce the likelihood of its re-occurrence. These improvements can take several weeks to become ingrained but you are certainly on the right track

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi HelenaS.
    I see you have now started SR. For many, the commencement of SR can signal the start of improved sleep quality and improved consolidation of sleep. so, stick with it and see how you go. as you say, best to consult your GP regarding medication reduction/tapering, although it seems you are not regular user. You might find with SR over the next few weeks that you require medication less (common experience for sleepio users), but this is something you will have to judge as you progress through the course and in discussion with GP.
    Further sessions also help with thoughts that might be interfering with sleep and how you feel during the day, these will also contribute to optimising your chance of achieving more restful sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Dr Kyle,

Random question. I live in the US and we have a bizarre culture where we are bombarded by news articles and lectures by doctors of the importance of getting 8 hrs of sleep, but have societal pressure to “get by” on much less.

I'm in my late 30's and I confess I feel a bit of pressure to achieve this 8 hr goal. (Though I haven't hit it in years). What is the real science on sleep needs? I assume the actual range for what people need is broader than 7-8 hrs? Should I stop worrying about this? My progression through sleepio has gotten me to about 6:45 hrs/night with >90% SE, which is great! And I'm only about 2.5 mo into the program, so I expect to continue to see improvement. I just don't want to feel like a “failure” if say 7 hrs is where I top out.

Thanks!
    Geonurd

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Luxyluxo. this is certainly common in a proportion of poor sleepers, where there appears to be a rhythm or pattern to their good and bad nights. use of SR and a solid routine/wind-down will help reduce that variability and can often take several weeks and months to establish. so persevere and see how you go.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi helenaS, best to take the apprx 15 minutes from end of relaxation

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Josiejo – can I ask if you found any of the sleepio techniques helpful when you went through the course?

• Sleepio Member

• 37 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your reply – I found it very helpful.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Is there anything we should (or can do) about sleep debt? Keep reading about how much I am damaging my health not sleeping and see 'sleep debt' mentioned in these same articles!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Geonurd, excellent analysis! also very well done on your progress to date.

sleep need – the amount of sleep we need to feel rested and function optimally during the day – varies from individual to individual and within individuals (e.g. dependent on age). it can be a difficult thing to truly measure because often people might mask mild sleep deprivation through stimulants like coffee during the day. Giving your brain and body the best opportunity to achieve consolidated sleep is key – through the sleepio strategies – and if you are feeling refreshed and not sleepy during the day then you are close to what might be considered your “sleep need/requirement”. maintaining a healthy schedule will ensure that will continue/possibly further improve over the coming weeks.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi LesleyAG, often these articles are based on scientific studies but journalists can put their own spin on the results.
    sleep debt is, in part, “compensated” for by the brain through depth or intensity of subsequent sleep, while sleep time might remain the same. this of course is not as good as getting one's full sleep requirement or sleep need.
    i see you are on session 1, the sleepio course will aim to guide you through techniques over the next few weeks aimed at improving your sleep consolidation and quality.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for all the helpful replies and support! On to session 2 in a few minutes!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

wishing you the best of luck, LesleyAG.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

How do I get involved in these chats ??

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi Annetheresa, simply post your question in advance of or during the live discussion and we can “chat”. feel free to also continue the discussion beyond the formal time slot

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that's us for tonight, folks. thanks for joining and sharing your experiences. best of luck with continued sleep improvements; until we “chat” next time.

Return to top