Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 5th December

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 5th December 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 30 Nov 2012 at 9:37 AM
  • 49 comments
  • 21 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Before Sleepio I used to get to bed around 11 and didn't have much trouble getting off to sleep as I was usually really tired anyway. Sometimes I'd go to bed earlier if I was too tired to stay up till then. Occasionaly I'd crash out after I got in from work at about 6ish although I did this as little as possible as I knew it would only make matters worse. No matter how long I've slept for though I always feel groggy after waking up and don't feel refreshed.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks nightlight – it's worth also re-visiting some of the other components, to see if they can help with reducing the likelihood of waking. Another tactic is to consider whether changing the position of the sleep window may help?

• Sleepio Member

• 167 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

OK Dr Kyle, I'll try that.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Hang in there Grumpy Imp!! It can take some time to really feel the benefits of SR and then to slowly increase your sleep window.

I graduated from sleepio at the start of this year and I can honestly say I've never felt better!! I only seem to need around 5.5-6.5 hours of sleep to feel refreshed & I usually get that every night now!

I have noticed that I feel more sleepy now the winter is upon us though…not sure if it's the extra darkness or because it's been a really long term!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for the input LOW

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Grumpy Imp. seems like getting into a new structured routine, with predictable sleep times, may be helpful in terms of refreshing you on awakening. Certainly some degree of sleep inertia is very normal. We found in a recent study that SR reduced feeling alert at bedtime (in time for falling asleep), while increasing mental arousal at bedtime. It may just take some more time to consolidate the new schedule.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Quite quiet tonight, must be the cold weather! any other topics people want to discuss/raise?

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Cheers Laureloakwood.

My sleep window started off at 6 hours as that's what I was roughly getting over a night but then my total sleep went down to 5 hours so I cut my sleep window to 5.5 hours but now my total sleep has gone down to 4.75 hours! Improving my sleep efficiency is like trying to look at one of those floater things in your eye. The closer you try to get to it the quicker it retreats.

I'm going to persevere with it though come what may.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Gumpy Imp – that's a great analogy (and I may use if it's not copyright!). It's keeping your motivation up that's important, accepting also that if you do experience a poor night, then the brain should be rewarded with intensity of sleep (not necessarily increased duration). Timing of light is important also, making sure you are getting up at the fixed time in the morning will help with this and stabilise your body clock, allowing sleep to take over.

• Sleepio Member

• 167 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

My sleep efficiency is poor as well. I have only once got up to 90%, i hover in the top 70s and 80s

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 30 helped
    Graduate

Thanks all – very interesting discussion – my favourite one so far.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

What was your SE before you started sleepio?

Mine varies between 70-90%, depending on the day of the week!! (I tend to have a bit of a lie-in on the weekends now, which lowers my SE.)

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Cool. I've got myself a SAD lamp which I put next to the PC in the morning while I fill in my sleep diary which will hopefully compensate for the dark winter mornings.

Cheers.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

That's us for tonight, folks. Thanks for joining. Have a nice week and speak next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

THanks Dr Kyle.

Sleep well everyone!

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

I'm not sure what my sleep efficiency was before I started the course as I didn't monitor it much and I'm usually only half awake for brief periods during the night. I had a polysomnograph done which gave a figure of 57.8% but I think that must have been a really bad night.

• Sleepio Member

• 167 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

Hi Laurel – good point, sleep efficiency was worse – low 70s before SR, so there is some improvement.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle.

Nighty night everyone!

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

Hello all, I'm late. My husband is giving me a sad light and I,'m givinghim a morning light for Christmas. Hoping for a bright Christmas ( not a white one!)

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

That was an excellent session.

Return to top