Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 3rd October

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 3rd October 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 27 Sep 2012 at 9:15 AM
  • 92 comments
  • 25 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Do you read until Sleepy-tired? That is the key I understand.

I rarely have problems falling asleep but if I do I use the download relaxations/visualization.

I also breathe in peace and relaxation and breathe out tension with each breath. I can feel my body melting into the bed when I do this. If I am in pain I breathe into the locations and do Soften on the inbreath, and Flow onthe outbreath to lessen the pain or make it go away. Often my sore spots are caused by tension anyway.

• Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 6 helped
    Session 2

I am with you there! fatal when you are in the last pages and just keep going until your finished. I try not to read in the middle of the night (2-3am) to put me to sleep because I find then it wakes me up again because I do get caught up in the book. Only works at the beginning of the night for me.

• Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 6 helped
    Session 2

I am interested to know about things to listen to,but will have to wait for that answer I think as it should be in later sessions.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Sounds like you're making good progress Dream on! People often aim to to get their sleep in gear initially, learn the new techniques, and then when feel ready, speak with GP and decide on a plan to reduce sleeping pill use. This way they are able to implement solid and proven techniques they've acquired on the course. The research suggests this is definitely possible and can maintain the benefits to sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

And remember we are not to read in bed. I have a room that I can warm with a fan heater and a comfortable chair where I have an electric bodywrap from Lakeland. That often helps me to nod off again.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

We are all different – my friend has blackout curtains and also wears a sleeping mask and earplugs to enable her to sleep!
    My partner finds it easier to sleep when it is cold, especially if thenwindow is open…sometimes we have to compromise!!

• Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 6 helped
    Session 2

Where do you download these things from Suella?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that's us for tonight folks. many thanks for joining. have a good week and speak next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Good advice Suella!

• Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 6 helped
    Session 2

Is that part of the programme? No reading in bed?

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Well folks I am going to have to say goodnight for now I will answer all posts on my profile tomorrow, thanks Dr Kyle for your time and great answers

sleep well ALL !

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

THanks Dr Kyle!

Goodnight everyone, sleep well xx

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Read something boring, that might send you asleep

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr Kyle.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

It is…along with many other things some of us have found hard to give up (TV in bed!!)
    THe reasoning is to help you associate bed with sleep again, although I think some grads have managed to re-introduce reading in bed to their routine again, once their sleep has stabilised a bit!

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

On this site, but it may be too early days for you. However you can find any amount of relaxation CDs or sites on line. Some with wonderful free relaxations to download. I have a selection as I get bored otherwise. Yoga nidra CDs are good. You might want to specify UK if you find that transatlantic voices are disruptive.

• Sleepio Member

• 167 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

Oh no, I feared tha might be so!

• Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 6 helped
    Session 2

Thanks Suella, I will look into it!

• Sleepio Member

• 167 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

There is some audio in session 2 so you won't have long to wait.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi all
    I know I'm too late to join the party but I'm interested in Dr Kyle's thoughts on both DrPete's question about daylight alarm clocks, and Eliza's question about clustering sleep at the beginning of the night. However, these questions weren't answered – perhaps because they weren't asked “live” during the session but were posted in advance. It would be great if these could carry over to the next discussion – and would posted questions usually be picked up, I won't be able to join live myself is all!

Return to top