Live discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 3rd February 2016

Dr Simon Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 3rd February 7-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions. His replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Kyle won’t be able to give personal medical advice.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 12:35 PM
  • 16 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi! My apologies – I posted this in the forum but haven't heard anything yet. My question is about recording my Final Awakening in the diary. I'm confused as to whether it is the last time I got awake through the night (say I woke at 4am, fell asleep within 5 minutes and slept soundly before having to get up at 6am) or is the actual time I last got awake to get out of bed (i.e. I am to be up at 6am so my alarm went off and I got awake at 6am, which would also be the time I got out of bed for the day)?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Simon Kyle, I've read the Sleepio article about seasonal effects on sleep and I was surprised to learn that many people find their sleep improves/sleep window moves up in the summer. Usually as winter gives way to spring and summer, I find myself in a very bad cycle of insomnia. I always attributed it to the longer day with more sunlight, or simply the increase in temperature. I know one of the course recommendations is to keep the bedroom climate controlled as much as possible (I'm sure my husband loves that excuse when I'm blasting the heat in winter), but is there any other way I can brace myself for the change in seasons and avoid endless warm nights wide awake starting in spring? This seems to happen to me every year and any advice on how to make the seasonal transition a little easier on my sleep is much appreciated. Thank you!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi I am in my first week. I have a few questions:

1.) I was forced to narrow it down to one goal, but I would say all 3 goals are equally important to me (sometimes, I experience one more than the other-- they alternate or happen together or not at all): I want to fall asleep more quickly, I want to stop waking up in the middle of the night for more than a short time and lastly due to all of this I want a regular sleep schedule, so I can actually make plans in the morning (if I take a long to fall sleep or wake up in the middle of the might, I end up sleeping in later than planned) and have regularity in my life. So, even though I was forced to narrow it down to one, will I be working on all 3?

2.) In the time to fall asleep part of my sleep diary, how would I record something like the following since I am not in bed the whole time? For example, I attempted to go to sleep at 11:45 p.m. and then laid awake for 45 minutes and then got out of bed and did stuff for another 45 minutes to tire myself and then went back in bed and fell asleep 30 minutes later.

3.) In the waking up part, it asks what was the last time I woke up? Yesterday morning I was 1/4 asleep and 3/4 awake from 8:30 to 9:30 (it was wonderful) and then I finally got out of bed at 9:30. I guess I woke up at 8:30, but was still slightly asleep for a long time??? Hmmmm.

4.) Also, my sleep is abnormally disrupted due to noise issues and the anxiety around it I am resolving. My current sleep schedule is even more skewed than usual as a result (and I am going to bed later than usual to avoid noise and/or it takes me longer to relax due to noise anxiety). So, I'm a bit concerned than when I start the sleep restriction that this is based on worse sleep patterns than usual and also that Sleepio will have me be going to bed too late. The later is especially concerning because in recent years if I go to bed too late my sleep is light and fitful. Not sure why that is. My body has just changed as I have gotten older. As bizarre as it is, if I don't start winding down for bed by or before 11 p.m. (like being non-verbal and only engaging in gentle activity) and be in bed by or before 1 a.m., I don't sleep deeply. Quite honestly, I want to train myself to go to bed around 11 p.m. or so. So, please share your thoughts on this and clarify what I will expect with the restriction or if it might be best for me to postpone the restriction or extend the sleep diary patterns before.

Thanks!!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello, I just started my second week and have a question concerning getting to sleep. I usually listen to an audio book while trying to get asleep. Nothing challenging, most storys I listend to before. It works quite good since a lot of years. Still I´m not sure if it is a good way to go. Then again I´m getting frightened by thinking about doing without. Even the thought makes me nervous. Whenever I tried, it didn´t work. What should I do?
    Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Week 3 and less sleep my question is is it advisable to sleep any less when I'll have to drive 300-400 miles each day.
    Must be another way surely
    Dave

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Simon, just wondering what are the best techniques to help with getting off to sleep as you are lying in bed. I use my phone to listen to progressive relaxation but wonder if I should not be using the phone just as I am trying to go to sleep. Any tips most welcome, thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 47 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

I have been on and off the site for a year. I have had very good success. To the degree that I relapse – it almost always has to do with early wakening. I have been told that this is a sign of depression. But whenever I take a depression assessment, I score very low. I have a good life – no real stressors – though I know you can have it all and still be depressed . In your opinion, is this depression or more learned behavior? Do we waken simply because we go through periods where we anticipate wakening. I should also say that I am bored at work because I have been doing it a long time. But, sometimes I think I would not be bored if I had more energy as a result of better sleep. These issues always seem to be tangled up. Any guidance?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 3

Hi Glider Guy,

While I may be in my first week of Sleepio, I do know a bit about early waking-- at least in my own life. I will share if it is any bit helpful in addition to what Dr. Kyle might say. Sometimes, early awakening insomnia has to do with magnesium (and perhaps, also calcium) and taking those supplements can hep some people stay asleep if that is the root of the issue. I have also noticed that unprocessed emotions or life experiences before bed can sometimes make me wake up prematurely, as they can get held in the body and can be a tension that can prevent longer sleep. For me, it's important to go bed without anything lingering in me physically or emotionally. I may do deep breathing, gentle movement to release stuff from the body, etc. to help.

Cheers,
    Erin

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi all – my sincere apologies for the delay in replying… here are some replies now…

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Silveraven – it is the time of your final waking, signalling the start of the day e.g. if one wakes at 6.45 they might then rise from bed at say 7am. it could also be 5am for those who experience early morning awakenings, even if still rising from bed at e.g. 7am.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Mkels, thanks for your question. That is interesting and often people report difficulties sleeping when it's hot and humid during the summer months. thinner bedsheets, closed curtains during the day when you are out at work (to block sun), open windows at night, and/or electric fans may all help. In addition, implementing sleepio techniques will help reduce the seasonal differences in sleep quality that are commonly experienced.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks freystil… one way to think about it, is that you have the opportunity, during the sleepio programme, to test out techniques that may help to promote optimal sleep. it is possible that the audiobook may be contributing to your sleep disturbance but there's only one way to assess this. if you are concerned about completely stopping – perhaps start with only using it every second night and gradually reduce over the weeks of the programme. ultimately it's about finding the best set of techniques for you and so it is worth trying them all.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi dave, thanks for your question. during sleep restriction, we do not advise driving long journeys or operating heavy machinery due to the possible impact of increased sleepiness on performance. if you are planning to drive such long distances (or feel excessively sleepy because of SR) you should consider extending the duration of your sleep window or plan alternative solutions for transport. also, here are some government guidelines on driving when tired:
    http://think.direct.gov.uk/fatigue.html

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi stables – best way is to experiment and determine what works best for you. the combination of proper wind down, only going to bed when sleepy, and relaxation can work very well for some… phone can be used ok for audio purpose; might be worth turning down the brightness setting if possible and avoiding reading any content (e.g. emails, texts etc) near bedtime

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi gilder guy – great that you have found the programme helpful and as you say, it's common to have the odd night where poor sleep creeps in. this can be associated with a range of life events, e.g. temporary work stress, or environmental factors (e.g. noise, light exposure, temperature). if we regularly wake early this could be a sign of a “morning lark” chronotype – a pattern of sleep-wake that reflects early bedtime and early rise time. keeping a regular sleep-wake schedule, recapping on some of the original sleep techniques that you have successfully employed in the past (e.g. wind down, relaxation) will all help to give you a strong and stable sleep pattern.
    if you are concerned about mood, or have questions about depression, then it might be a good idea to consult with your doctor or health professional.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi ErinKurnik
    great you are on your first week, welcome.
    some brief answers to your questions:
    1) these are very common goals and indeed quite related. the sleepio programme contains different techniques that will help address all three.
    2) This should be recorded as time from first attempt at initiating asleep
    3) yes, insert your approximate final waking time
    4) No problem at all, it is worth deciding on this when you come to session 3. it is also possible to modify the sleep window slightly to suit your particular needs.

Return to top