Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 30th October

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Tuesday 30th October 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 25 Oct 2012 at 9:35 AM
  • 31 comments
  • 5 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

Hello Dr Kyle. Sorry to be late.

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

Thank you. I will try.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

great question terico. we don't advise on medication directly, this is often best done through your physician/GP. We do know the course works well for those on/off medication. some people decide to stop the medication (in collaboration with GP) before the course; others continue with medication while on the course and then taper/decrease dose at a later date (again with physician guidance), once they've achieved benefits.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi dr. Kyle,I am working nights 3x a week so my sleep pattern is totally disrupted plus after work, I still take my z to help me go to sleep, now I started CBT what can you recommend, Help I just want to be normal .

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks!
    One of my main anxieties around insomnia is the health effects. I have heard so many times that poor sleep is bad for your health and this just makes me more worried about not sleeping well. I have fybromyalgia which seems to be made worse by not sleeping well. How can I get over this fear?

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks you for your response. Greeting to all from DC-area USA.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Hello All,
    I've just returned from Chicago, missing the storms fortunately.

I'm interested in using the SR technique to try to get over the jet lag I have when traveling over 4 or 5 time zones. Is this recommended?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Belle. You are certainly not alone, working night-shift or rotating shift patterns is very common and, as you say, can play havoc with your sleep pattern. Parts of the sleepio course are heavily focussed on stabilising bed and rise-times every night – which will clearly be very difficult (impossible) for someone working shifts. there are techniques however that might help with racing/active mind and good sleep habits. I also have a brief article on shift-work, have a read here:

Shift-work and sleep

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Kyle
    I get quite anxious about the health effects of not sleeping, especially as I have fibromyalgia. This just feeds my fear of not sleeping. I'm not sure how to overcome this problem?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for you comment, Clare Alice. I certainly understand – at the sleep centre we often speak to people with very similar concerns. The media headlines etc. don't always help either. Two important things are worth bearing in mind. Sleep is very adaptive. That is, if you lose sleep on a given night, your brain will often experience greater intensity of sleep (the next night) to ensure that it receives deep sleep. If you like, it prioritises the most important phases of sleep (although it might not always feel like that in the morning). The second thing, related to the first, is that being anxious about sleep can make things worse (in a vicious cycle). The sleepio course will teach you techniques in the next few sessions on how to address this, and how to improve the consistency and quality of sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Good to have such a long-distance visitor, terico!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Suella. great question. This is an emerging area of research, actually! Jetlag is experienced because of the inconsistency between our internal body clock and actual clock time (as is often the case when we travel to a different time zone). The advice would be to synchronize to the same light-dark schedule of the 'new' time-zone as much as possible. This means, for example, eating and being active in a way that will promote a return to the normal rhythm. Sleep restriction may help this but it's not yet fully known (experiments are currently being performed). Applying the SR window as you have been doing, and keeping fixed times, should certainly help.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your reply. Knowing some of the facts about sleep does reassure me to a degree. R.e anxiety, I'm fully aware unfortunately that anxiety can lead to poor sleep. Knowing this just makes me more anxious. I know it's ridiculous! Worrying and being anxious that I will get anxious is something I have learnt to do.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr. Kyle. I find going from east to west very difficult and if I haven't managed to co-ordinate to the “new” time then when I come back I can be even more confused. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to try to stay awake until 9 or so.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks claire alice. hopefully you will find the techniques introduced over the next few sessions, helpful in reducing sleep-related anxiety. It's often the case that experiencing solid, consistent sleep can in itself help to reassure and change attitudes towards sleeping – ultimately restoring your faith in your ability to sleep (which can be lost through months and years of poor sleep).

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

hi is there any indications that nicotine replacement therapy can cause sleep problem, also can you tell me if its safe to take herbal remedy potters nod off mixture as a sleeping aid

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you. I am really hoping that I can learn some new techniques that might help!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi sootybrad. good question. to my knowledge there is no evidence that the herbal remedy you mention will help people with chronic poor sleep. It is possible that nicotine replacement therapy could negatively affect sleep, though it's often hard to tease apart the impact of therapy from nicotine withdrawl (which does negatively affect sleep)

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that's us for tonight, folks. thanks for joining, have a good week and speak next time!

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your time and good answers Dr. Kyle.

Suella

Return to top