Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 30th May

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Thursday 30th May 7pm-8pm (GMT).

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Add a comment' button; or
+ vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 24 May 2013 at 12:08 PM
  • 47 comments
  • 14 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 4

Any advice on how you find out if you have sleep apnea?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Great point, cazie, the amount and distribution of sleep stages may be important for feelings of sleep quality. There is some emerging evidence that CBT modifies the micro architecture of sleep , and that this relates to perceptions of improvement

• Sleepio Member

• 246 comments
    • 93 helped
    Graduate

We usually have supper around 6:00. Sometimes we go to the gym in the early evening around 7:00 (for an hour) or go for or a walk (about a half an hour). After that I might do some housework, use the computer to check up on sleepio things or go to a brain strength site, watch T.V. and knit, read a book etc. From then on it's doing anything like this in various order just to stay awake. I use to go to bed at 9:00 or 9:30, so my new window of 11:30 is hard. Very stressful to not go to sleep. Have even nodded off while at the computer.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 4

I use a Phillips wake up light so I still get the benefit of the light while covering up the clock

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Hi Cazie I have sleep apnea please can you message me later and I canexplain in more detail for you on my profile page please

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 4

Ok Andy, I do have a number of other complex issues which affect my sleep but before all this I didn't have a sleep problem.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Small brief naps can be very helpful- the research literature also shows some benefits for learning ability. However, if you are already a poor sleeper we try and eliminate naps, to ensure we are optimising sleep-wake behaviour and giving the best opportunity to strengthen sleep

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Join the club lol, look forward to talkingand hopefully helping if I can

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Do you feel excessively sleepy during the day cazie? Has your partner mentioned any signs of snoring or holding your breath? The only real way is to receive an overnight assessment of your sleep in a lab, however if you do think that you may be experiencing panic events during the night then it is best to discuss is with your GP in the first instance

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 4

Great Andy, that sounds great….

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 4

Very tired and sleepy during the day and husband says I do as well as crunching my teeth splint like a horse! lol no panic though….but might be medication related.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks Dion. Have you always been a morning person in terms of your sleep preference? Going to bed early and rising early?

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Grinding ofthe teeth I believe is called bruxism, talk soon

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 4

It is, yes Andy. Have a good evening.

• Sleepio Member

• 246 comments
    • 93 helped
    Graduate

yes I have always been a morning person.

• Sleepio Member

• 246 comments
    • 93 helped
    Graduate

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

That's us for tonight folks, many thanks for joining and contributing. Have a good week and speak next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your time Dr Kyle

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I was very sleepy yesterday but managed 5 hours nonstop sleep last night so am feeling a bit better about my new routine.Have also downloaded a coupled of books recommended by Bryan in sleepio chat room and implemented some relaxation techniques.I am really trying!
    Thanks for your support Dr Kyle.
    Nipper

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Great progress, Nipper. Keep up the good work!

Return to top