Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 30th January

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 30th January 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 25 Jan 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 64 comments
  • 24 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

hi RAGAV – it is still early days on the course, and there are helpful strategies to come in the next few session to help with sleep-onset problems. so stick with RAGAV!

• Sleepio Member

• 703 comments
    • 235 helped
    Graduate

No not at all, but in those days I tried everything.

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle. I've always been prone to regular spontaneous awakenings (4.44 was one fave time), so I guess it will pass with time as I become more able to sleep again afterwards…

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Nytol Valerian acupuncture – you name it!!

• Sleepio Member

• 703 comments
    • 235 helped
    Graduate

Indeed and may I add hop pillow, lavender, CD'S with alpha waves and beta waves, acupressure, all of it making a fortune for companies peddling their wares to the gullible insomniac who is so desperate will try snake oil.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

valkaye and bryan1939 – please tell me there's light at the end of the tunnel.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi Willow9 – if there is a circadian feature then often they might. But light therapy may also be used in conjunction with melatonin or on it's own. The important thing with chronotherapies is that they are timed appropriately, your GP should inform. However, it may be that SR when you've tried it for a few weeks can also help stabilise your sleep into block that suits your preferred timing.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you I'll go back to my GP. You mentioned meal times, could be elaborate please?

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Yes there is. Even after just a few weeks my sleep is greatly improved. still a bit fragile but generally so much better. And also there is a great deal of research showing how effective these techniques are, so there is every reason to expect things will get better for you too. But it isn't easy – especially sleep restriction – and it does need to be done systematically.

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Got to go – good discussion, thanks Dr Kyle!

• Sleepio Member

• 703 comments
    • 235 helped
    Graduate

Yes there is. I started Sept last year three to four sleep for three years. 4 MONTHS ON 7-8 HRS SLEEP EVERY NIGHT YOU WILL GET THERE.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Kyle, I am still waiting for your reply.

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi willow9, regularty of light, meal times and social activity, physical activity can all feedback onto our body clock and help stabilise its timing. that's why less variability in these parameters, then the better.

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

7-8 hours – that's terrific improvement bryan1939

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for that

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am on 3rd week. Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi RAGAV – the racing mind is very common in poor sleepers. behavioural techniques to come in future sessions combined with cognitive techniques, will quieten down the mind at sleep-onset and help you fall asleep. you will reach these sessions soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that's us for tonight folks. Thanks for joining. Good sleeping and speak soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

good night all – sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle – I'm sorry I wasn't able to be there this evening at 7pm. I'm not sure about needing less sleep, although i do appreciate that is so with older people. I would like to go to bed earlier than 12.15am not later. I am not a night person and hate how very quiet the city (and therefore my street) is in the early hours. When I do wake at 6am plus I can't wait to get back to sleep…no desire whatsoever to get out of bed and still very tired. Maybe it will be different in summer? I feel I want to free wheel it and jut go to bed when I feel I want to and not put the alarm on but I do realise you want us to go to bed and wake at the same time each day….what a dilemma!!

Return to top