Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 2nd November

Dr Simon Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion focusing on Session 1 of the Sleepio course here on Wednesday 2nd November 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions. Answers will be given in a general way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either:
– post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or
– vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R'
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'apple' and 'R'

Posted 28 Oct 2011 at 5:43 PM
  • 65 comments
  • 4 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

To be clear about sleep restriction, I mean continue making changes in line with what the Prof says – if you make it over 90%, then extend your window. Sleep restriction is not forever, just to 'jump-start' your sleep again!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

yes but when mine got extended the second time my sleep got worse so I reduced it again – is this ok?

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Right answer Dr Kyle… Yippee!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks for your comment rvw. the reason I was asking, was that sometimes many other factors can influence headaches and how we feel and function during the day, though you are right sleep is a major one!

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

Do you think that as we had been poor sleepers we were constantly tired therefore the sleep restriction was really difficult at the beginning? Once having worked through the sleep restriction I am still of the opinion that I may not need as much sleep as I thought I did – just because I was so tired I felt as if I should be going to bed earlier- psychologically thinking it is night time I should be in bed.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Great point sleepyhead! sleep restriction can make you (initially) feel worse during the day (sleepier, more irritable, less energy), beyond the effect of poor sleep on functioning! But once you start to consolidate sleep and come out the other side, functioning will improve more than how you felt before the course! It is journey, with some short term costs, but long term benefits!

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

To quote the Prof Dr. Kyle – Bang on!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks RVW! Sleep expert, eh!

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Yes, i must admit I didn't realise it would be such a long journey, but then i guess the bad sleep patterns evolve over years sometimes! This really has been a life changing experience, not just with sleep per se, but the effects on all areas of my life. Partly because I seem to have so much more time!!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

I agree with the more time thing – my house is spotless from late night and early morning spring cleaning!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

That is fantastic RVW! That's what we're after! Has anyone else have similar experiences?

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

I know, working full time, I have weekends free because i've being doing housework in the evenings!

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

Have to go – going out. Enjoyed session

Sleep well everyone!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Sounds good to me sleepyhead! thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Dont be late for bed! ;-)

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for a great session Dr!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

I;m off too – thanks Doc. Night all.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks all! Appreciate your company! Sleep well and efficient!

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

You too!

• Sleepio Member

• 61 comments
    • 29 helped
    Session 3

Apologies for not making the chat. No excuse other than I just completely forgot.

Return to top