Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 29th January

Dr Simon Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 29th January 7pm-8:30pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions. Answers will be given in a general way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 23 Jan 2014 at 12:07 PM
  • 41 comments
  • 13 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

redfoot, typically one want to avoid light both before and during the sleep period, if at all possible. Some nice research data published in 2011 showing that if you leave a room light on during sleep the level and timing of melatonin secretion (often viewed as a cue for sleep) is flattened and delayed… The Prof will tell you more about this in subsequent sessions…

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

muscles do benefit from rest but the brain requires sleep… Possible core function of sleep is a brain (or neural) one… the phases of sleep and cycling between phases of sleep helps to reset the demands of wakefulness on the brain each and every night… I see you are only on session 1 and much more exciting info will come in subsequent sessions!

• Sleepio Member

• 344 comments
    • 79 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Kyle, just joined.

• Sleepio Member

• 1915 comments
    • 442 helped
    Graduate

Hi M. X

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Hi Mushmellowstar

I read your comment about your sleep anxiety. I have exactly the same problems.

• Sleepio Member

• 344 comments
    • 79 helped
    Graduate

Hiya, Holiday!

• Sleepio Member

• 344 comments
    • 79 helped
    Graduate

I hope Dr. Kyle will address that. I saw his other answer to my first question.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks RAYBIN... firstly, excellent progress… really well done.. a sign of the success of the course and your changing relationship with sleep is your ability to tolerate the odd poor night, so I was pleased to see you say “I have felt tired today but it was not a disaster”. This is crucial. Continuing with the schedule in the presence of poor nights, will improve the likelihood that lasting changes will occur. Of course, we all have the odd bad night but these should not trouble us, particularly as we are starting to build up an impeccable sleep history. By way of (bad) example, three rounds of great golf followed by a terrible game, does not mean that I am becoming a poor golfer. many external factors (in this case, weather, playing partners, etc.) may each have had a small impact.
    how we respond is important though and I think pressing ahead with session 4 might be good in this respect. It's also important to bear in mind that a night of restricted sleep (like yours) is registered with the brain, it will prioritise those features of sleep that you lost, the next time you will sleep (not just in duration but most often in the intensity of sleep)

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Hope so too. Can't get to sleep for worrying about getting to sleep vicious circle..frequently leads to full blown panic. I have 1.5 hour commute in a morning to work and this just fuels the problem.

• Sleepio Member

• 55 comments
    • 15 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the comment. I will absorb it later but I have another question. QHR has created much anxiety – about not being able to get back to sleep within 15 minutes….this something I have rarely done. How flexible can we be about the 15 mins? Could it be, say, 45 mins?

• Sleepio Member

• 344 comments
    • 79 helped
    Graduate

Yes, HelenEY. I know that panic cycle all to well. =(

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks MMS. it is possible to continue the course (and benefit) while taking an antidepressant.Certainly there is some research data to suggest that antidepressants can improve sleep.
    I can fully understand the building concern after several nights of poor sleep on the trot. in some ways this building concern can, as you suggest, make poor sleep more likely to happen. creating a cycle. My response to RAYBIN above should also be considered here though. The brain recovers lost sleep (and while we may not always feel this ,the process is occurring). Knowing this can help alleviate some anxiety and concerns – Adhering to the schedule, making plans in the evening, and practicing relaxation can go along way in preparing our mind and body for sleep… have you tried experimenting with different sleepio strategies? any that you have felt worked in the past?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Broger, access to some light if possible (although I realise the time of year is not good!) and avoiding comfortable sofas… in time as your sleep efficiency rises higher, your time in bed will increase, meaning that sleepiness in the morning will reduce… so stick with for now… this is a good re-learning process…

• Sleepio Member

• 344 comments
    • 79 helped
    Graduate

I have done mindfulness, meditation, thought checker. Thought checker works sometimes. Meditation only works when I'm already calm. Accepting that it's ok if I don't sleep works the best, but getting to the mindset to be able to accept it is extremely difficult if not impossible at times.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for sharing your experiences nightlight

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

HI LuluB… interesting… the positive to take away is that SR is achieving at least near-sleep state! as sleep becomes consolidated and stages of sleep re-distributed gradually over days and weeks, this , in my experience, tends to lessen.. later in the course you will learn about other techniques that may also reduce the racing mind phenomenon…

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for joining tonight everyone, that's our time up. sorry we didn't get to cover all questions this evening. keep up the good work and speak next time!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

The Prof said that you could access some relaxation tracks to listen to.. any idea where they are on the site? Yes, i often that I have having to wrestle with my thoughts. When the insomnia is really bad as it is now, I wake up thinking about sleep and go to sleep thinking about. It pretty much takes over. It is a shame that the g.p, doesn't really recognise the issue as the problem it is.

• Sleepio Member

• 344 comments
    • 79 helped
    Graduate

Thanks, Dr. Kyle.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Many thanks for your expert advice – I look forward to the forthcoming weeks.
    Regards

Return to top