Live discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 29th April

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 29th April, 7pm-8.30pm BST.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 24 Apr 2015 at 9:01 AM
  • 7 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi all,

I just started sleepio. I've been having trouble sleeping on and off for the past month or so. Mostly I have trouble going to sleep, and I've started to find that I am definitely getting anxious just laying down in my bed. Sometimes when I wake up and can't go back to sleep or if I've tried laying in my bed, I try a change in venue…my loveseat (not very roomy), the living room floor, and even the passenger seat of my car.

Sometimes these changes make it easier to sleep, but I am worried about making the negative association with my bed.

Has anyone else done this? What are your thoughts, should I just fight through and only try to sleep in bed? I also feel bad because in trying to avoid the “staying in bed for more than 15-20 minutes without going to sleep” rule I have read, I feel like I am constantly getting up and bothering my boyfriend.

Anyway, thoughts would be appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I have suffered from problems with my sleep for as long as I can remember, but now Sleepio has been my savior and is actually the only thing that has worked for me (really wish I had heard about it sooner).

Since I have had problems for so long I now have big problems finding out how much sleep I actually need, because I find that I'm so used to being tired all the time. So I often think that I don't need more sleep but when I am allowed to add the next 15 min I find that I really needed them to. So my question is: How do I know when I have reached the sleep schedule that fits me? When do I stop increasing the time I spend in bed?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Dear All, welcome to tonight's session… let's get started!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi sleepmk, these are excellent questions and I see you have already tried to develop some strategies to deal with wakefulness during the night. the first thing to say is that the problems you describe are very common and can be improved through CBT-related techniques taught on the sleepio programme. I see you are on the first session and so I would suggest waiting until new strategies are introduced (by The Prof) over the next few weeks/session, which will allow you to systematically work out what works and what doesn't…
    if you are leaving the bedroom then a consistent and non-stimulating environment is best, permitting relatively quick return when you begin to feel drowsy (but you will learn more about this in further sessions). good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

great to hear you have had positive experiences tinytyranid!

you ask a very common but important question. some people consider optimal time in bed when sleep efficiency remains stable; if it starts to drop again then you are likely spending too much time in bed. I think that how you feel during the day should be your best guide – has your fatigue and or sleepiness reduced? do you have more energy throughout the day? do you still experience sleep inertia (intense sleepiness proximal to awakening in the morning) or has this lessened with a new time in bed?

answers to these questions will be a good clue to your core sleep need.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

is anyone else joining us tonight? any thoughts or questions to discuss and share?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

it seems rather quiet tonight folks… anyone else out there?

Return to top