Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 28th November

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 28th November 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 23 Nov 2012 at 11:03 AM
  • 81 comments
  • 10 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 45 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Which program is the Goodnight Britain on?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

thanks lonepine77

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

BBC1 9pm

• Sleepio Member

• 45 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Thanks I shall try and be home for that time.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Sorry all, gotta go – cat needs to be fed!
    I'll try to get home a bit earlier next week, so I can join in properly!

Sleep well everyone! xxxx

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Cats really know how to sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Night Laurel – and everyone, I'm off too.

• Sleepio Member

• 45 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

I was wondering Dr Kyle. How has the response been from Boots. Has there been a good uptake?

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Seeing the good reports on Goodnight Britain I shall watch both the episodes on iPlayer.
    Thanks guys.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi folks any more questions that we can get through? Great to see that sleep is getting some coverage in the mainstream media tonight.

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

BBC 1 hope you get this in time

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

there were some posted earlier you may not have seen. i posted one but it has didappeared

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi tonightsthenight, not my area I'm afraid, really no idea.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

oh sorry valkaye – can you give me the gist again please?

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

it was aboiut the paradox that since starting Sleepio I am thinking much more about sleep having previously managed an uneasy adjustment and tried not to think about it That in turn impacts on my sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks valkaye. This is very common during the acute phase of treatment, and should start to weaken off as you gain momentum in your sleep pattern. the behavioural strategies like SR and QHR, will help strengthen the biology of sleep, which should help consolidate sleep, and demonstrate that you don't need to control it or apply any effort into the process. The cognitive techniques will help deal with the racing mind both during the day and night, helping to limit the effects on sleep. It can take time, and you are still early days, but soon you will start to be less concerned and focussed about sleep. Taking the approach that you have adhered to the instructions appropriately, should help you build confidence in your ability to sleep and change how you view sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for joining tonight folks. Have a good week and speak next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for this. I will persevere. The adjustment I had previously was achieved through some very poor sleep habits which wasn't so good either. I look forward to the day I don't think about it much at all.

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

See my reply on your profile page tonight. Sorry it's too late for the live session – I was'nt here then.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

It's probably too late to reply so I may post this again next week. Yes I've looked into the cortisol thing – whenever I went to my doctor about early waking they tried to diagnose depression as the early increase in cortisol in the morning is a symptom, but I'm not depressed, so never wanted to take the medication they were offering. And if I was refreshed from 6 hour's sleep that would be fine – but the difficulty is that I'm not, which is why I'm trying to solve it. On the odd days / previously months (and it goes in cycles, but this “bad” cycle has lasted over a year) that I do sleep in to my alarm, I feel amazing. On most days, I feel jet lagged, just by missing that hour before my alarm every morning. It's most bizarre… Any further thoughts welcome!

Return to top