Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 27th March

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 27th March 7pm-8pm (GMT).

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 21 Mar 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 37 comments
  • 6 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

great question roger38. It was my understanding that you didn't have to take with food – but best to check with GP in the first instance. If it transpires that it is best to take with food, then a small snack might be a compromise, with regular timed meals for every other meal. Again the key is to avoid over stimulating yourself in the middle of the night or over-load yourself with food.

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

I am finding it very hard to deal with the sleepiness caused by the growing sleep pressure, to the point of just not knowing sometimes how to stay awake except getting up and moving around. When I sit and read I nod off, when I do sudoku I nod off, watch tv, have a bath, you name it, and fighting it is such an unpleasant feeling – and for hours on end… Any tips??

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Some light housework is a good way to keep awake without over-stimulating…plus you end up with the annoying jobs done!!
    I empty the dishwasher, fold washing that kind of thing. I know some grads that do ironing (Yuk!). Basically whatever is not too energetic, but keeps you moving a little to keep you awake…

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Horrid isn't it! I call it the head falling off the neck feeling. Getting up and moving about if you can bear it does work quite well. The other thing to say though is that it doesn't go on forever and it's short term pain for long term gain. Hard to cope with though and I'm sure everyone who has gone through it will really sympathise.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great questions Valkaye – and congratulations on the achievements made to date (and for persevering!). Now that you have made significant gains, you might feel that it's the right time to try out some of these things that normal sleepers do. There are no easy rules about that, except that try them out, don't over monitor, and see if there is any effect. obviously we want to promote the best sleeping habits possible – and this is very important when going through the sleepio programme – but recognise that having a rigid approach to sleep should not be the future. so try these things out, experiment. and bear in mind that you have the sleepio knowledge to return to core (effective) components if you feel that they are being detrimental.

The other thing I would say about gains, is that keep expectations realistic. For example, as we get older, deep sleep declines, and awakenings become more frequent – and this is normal. So how we respond to this normal change is also important. I'm not implying you are in the elderly group, but simply wanted to point out that there are individual and age-related differences in sleep quality and quantity.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

good evening LOW!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Kyle! How are you?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

HI Polly Sleep, here are a couple of articles that I wrote that should help:

What controls our sleep pattern
    Deep sleep

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle that's food for thought. Quite exciting to think of getting back to a more normal way of life though I think I will have to be careful not to slip into bad habits. I am aware too of not assuming that my residual problems are “abnormal”. While not exactly ancient I am an OAP and I do recognise that light broken sleep especially in the 2nd half of the night is not outwith the normal range for my age group. Thanks again

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

It should be fine to have the occasional lie-in if you feel your sleep has stabilised now! Just be sure to get back to a strict sleep regime if you start to slip in terms of sleep efficiency or quality. As for reading in bed – I reckon you can give it a go, unless you're planning on reading a really action-packed thriller or something!! Again, if it doesn't work you can always return to what does!

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Thanks that's good advice. I am so looking forward to reading in bed. i will limit the time though and as you say avoid anything too exciting.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for sharing LOW – do you have experience with returning to some of these 'normal sleeper habits'?

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Indeed I do! I quite often have a lie-in at the weekends now!! Mind you , a lie-in for me is about 8am!! I also let my sleep window slip a bit during holidays (I'm a teacher) which seems to be OK. I always stick to my get-up time when I'm working & if I do feel I'm slipping a bit, I just make sure I get to bed & get up at fixed times again, which seems to even things out!

I never thought I'd get to this point!!! It's quite amazing to feel like I can sleep “normally”

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

How long did it take for you to get to that stage?

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

thanks Dr Kyle I will read those articles and thanks valkaye and laureloakwood for sympathy and ideas. My partner is delighted at the idea of the light housework!!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

I was in the Beta testing phase of Sleepio, so I joined in October 2011 I think…

It took a good 6-8 months to get into a really good rhythm of sleeping & waking feeling refreshed & it was only after that I felt secure enough to start experimenting with changing things!

I'd been a bad sleeper since my early childhood, so it was over 30years of poor sleep to tackle!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that's us for tonight, folks. Many thanks for joining and have a good evening!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Good night everyone…sleep well!

Thank you Dr Kyle!

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

That's interesting to have been in at the start of Sleepio. Great you still keep in touch and give a bit of support to the rest of us. I started having problems over 30 years ago too. That was in my 30s and I think it started when I had children. But I have memories of sleeping like a log when I was a student.

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Good night everyone

Return to top