Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 27th June

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 27th June 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

Posted 22 Jun 2012 at 8:40 AM
  • 53 comments
  • 4 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I seem to have around 6hr30 as my optimum amount of sleep, which is MUCh less than I expected when i started sleepio!!

(My partner on the other hand can sleep like a cat…lie in followed by dozing, afternoon nap, then dozing in front of tv in eve, then early night!!)

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

15 mins at a time!! Otherwise you'll throw your body clock out of whack!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

My get up time is 5.30 too Goldie – although I don't set an alarm and am pleased when I sleep a bit longer!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

I also have found I need much less sleep than I though – 6hrs is ok for me if its good SQ.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

don't some people just annoy you sometimes – guess I am just jealous!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

I need to go now – quiet tonight, I hope Andy's ok he usually makes an appearance.
    Sleep well all.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Me too!!

Sometimes I wonder how he can be so tired all the time!! I'm so much more energetic now I'm sleeping well!!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Good night nightjar, sleep well xx

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

NIght you two and yes it is unusual ;not to see Andy here. I shall stick around till we finish.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Goldie, this should be done at 15 minute intervals. did you not mention that you were rising from bed at 7am in another post? I think in the first instance it might be best to review your total sleep time for a week, then start SR based on this, and in line with your natural rhythm. Adhere to this for a few weeks to ensure sleep stability, and then consider shifting gently towards a time that you would find most suitable. Three things to bear in mind though are that the body clock can be hard to change dramatically (a night-owl will rarely ever become a morning person) and the goal is sleep quality – if you are refreshed by sleep and function optimally on X amount, then this is the guide; and lastly sleep need can vary a lot between people and within people (depending on age for example).

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Good evening everybody. A bit late coming in. Have been at my daughter's for the day. Hi Dr Kyle, hope you're ok. I've altered my SW a little, sleeping pattern improving. Many thanks. Goodnight all, speak to you soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

That's very helpful. I think that I thought I had reached a more stable place than I had and tried to move it too much too soon. I am also not consistently in one place with one routine and so I think I need to be less ambitious and wait till I know I have some stability before I make a shift, I was hoping to bring things more in line with my partner but I can wait and try again when things are more settled

Thanks for all you help and support tonight. Time is up now so I will say good night sleep well.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

It is much easier when you can go to bed together! At first I had to stay up for hours after my partner went to bed, then get up hours before him!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

That's us for tonight folks! Thanks for joining. I'm working on the next research bulletin, you can find details of the latest in sleep research here! look forward to speaking next week! Good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Looks like everyone's off.

Good night all, sweet dreams!

Thanks Dr Kyle

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

So thrilled to hear your good news CONGRATULATIONS. I was very late coming onto session tonight, so I'm not sure whether you'll see this reply or not. A full time and permanent teaching post as well, well done you.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Thank you lonepine77 xx

• Sleepio Member

• 137 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Laurel – Congratulations on your new post. I greatly admire anyone who can teach! Not a job I could do. Good luck to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 63 comments
    • 28 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the suggestions Goldie, I shall take a look at those. And thanks for the link to the article Dr Kyle. I shall go off and do some more reading and research. Cheers.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Hooray! Well done Laurel. Your perseverance has paid off. Many congratulations.

Return to top