Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 26th June

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 26th June 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 21 Jun 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 44 comments
  • 17 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi ihtgsfp. have you recently graduated? Often, people won't tend to sleep longer in the initial or short-term phases – the goal is to consolidate sleep and improve sleep quality. it can sometimes take a few months before sleep time is actually increased.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Gillian352

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi gillian352 – is this a recent change, any idea about what factors may have brought this about? With respect to the “bang”, it's not a commonly reported experience to my knowledge, do you tend to wake up from dream sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks skywalker404 – have you had a chance to speak with your GP/health professional about CPAP-related issues? These are very common, and sometimes tweaks may be able to help improve adherence.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for sharing your experiences, Polly Sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 137 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Dr Kyle – Yes, it's quite recent. I do dream a lot and generally remember them. They are always vivid and bizarre in nature. It's never anything going on in the dream which appears to bring about the bang. It feels like it happens as I'm emerging from sleep and then I hear this bang or loud noise and it really leaves me feeling unsettled. I do occasionally wake up shouting if I'm having a bad dream. It's generally one word over and over (usually 'no'). Gosh, I sound like a real head case. Don't think I am though. Just troubled by poor sleep and insomnia since I was 9 and developed epilepsy. Could there be a connection in that? Although I no longer suffer the condition.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr. Simon for reassuring that TV can work. I specifically avoid laptops and my computer at that time, and use the TV in the living room instead, so it sounds like I shouldn't worry about the screen light that much after all.

However I didn't realize reading is a viable choice as well. I thought it was ruled out because of being an active activity. There are certainly some books I'd like to get through (though only some of them can be relaxing). However I suspect at this point I should stick with the same activity every night until my brain gets in the habit of getting sleepy from it.

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Unravelled Sleeve, what I've tended to do when I've woken earlier than the end of my SW and SR is to record that early time (like yours) as my final waking up time. If I had been awake earlier in the night and gone back to bed in the same night's sleep I would record those awakenings in the sleep diary as such. Hope this helps you.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

@Dr Simon Kyle: yup, though not recently. Got on to a new doctor a few months ago, so I can check with them. I'll work on reducing variability instead; sadly that's the hardest part for me.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for sharing, gillian352. Certainly if you are concerned then always worth speaking to health professional/GP in the first instance. Do you experience any other problems with sleep? – sometimes events like apneas (breathing pauses) or limb movements might result in a sudden awakening. But since this is a relatively recent thing, it may well simply resolve with time,

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

sounds like a great plan, tvelocity.

• Sleepio Member

• 137 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your advice Dr Kyle. Hopefully it will resolve itself at some point.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

another help for those going through SR just now, is the welcome morning sunshine. If you are struggling to get up in the morning or feeling very sleepy after awakening, getting some natural light exposure may help to increase alertness. as someone who has a slightly delayed bedtime, it is helping me somewhat!

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Fennor,
    I blame the light and the birds somehow getting through to my consciousness. But it also could be iI'm uncomfortable lying in bed. Is your mattress a good one?

I have a CD player ready primed with either the Prof's relaxation downloads, or meditations or someone speaking who I know will put me back to sleep.

I also think breathe in peace, breathe out tension, when I'm on my back which often s helps me to melt into the bed nicely.

But, we only need that first 5 hours, and Dr. Lapp suggests that rest after that is almost as good as sleep. So perhaps you want to get up and start your day earlier if you find that you can't get back to sleep and it bothers you?

Best of luck with this. You may find it is only transitory with the days being so long just now.

Suella

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Good evening Dr Kyle hope you and all the Sleepio team are well and enjoying this nice weather we're having at the moment. My sleep can be up and down at times but I find being able to go into my sleep diary and case file and see where the graph recordings are on the chart have helped me often to pinpoint the cause of some 'not so good' nights' sleep. I've found using the 'thought checker' has helped out with this. Many thanks for your time tonight.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for sharing your experience Suella and Lonepine77

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

I am sleeping better and better 7-8 hours and hitting the magic 90%. What I still can't do is reduce my wake-ups to just one (I think eliminating altogether is unrealistic for me). I try to stop drinking any fluids after about 7pm to reduce toilet visits, and now wear eye mask and earplugs for light and noise, but not sure what else might help? It isn't too much of a problem but I suspect my sleep would be more refreshing if less broken. I am menopausal tho so maybe have to wait a year or two!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

fantastic progress, Polly Sleep! It certainly is very normal to wake-up several times a night (some remember them, while others don't), so it is nothing to worry about, particularly if you are getting back over to sleep. Often accepting something limits the impact it has on us, and potentially may even reduce in frequency. Another approach is to return back to some of the strategies that you have implemented successfully in the past and determine if small tweaks may have a positive impact.

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

thanks doctor Kyle – interesting to know it is so normal…

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that's us for tonight, folks. many thanks for joining and contributing. “speak” next time.

Return to top