Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 25th September

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Tuesday 25th September 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 25 Sep 2012 at 10:43 AM
  • 43 comments
  • 16 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Thanks richrebound. Have you tried altering the timing of the sleep window? What is your current schedule?

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

Dr Kyle I think Maggie might be waiting for a reply

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks maggiestrathy5. It is very early days with the programme. Some of the most effective components are still to be introduced. These first few weeks are useful preparation time and to allow you to develop skills in relaxation – have you tried muscle relaxation? If you feel that there has been a change in mood then it might be useful to discuss with GP.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for sharing tonightsthenight!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

My schedule is 11.45 to 6.45. Do you mean restrict it further?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 3

my first attempt to join live discussion but unable to access any comments from Dr Kyle

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

Hi and good evening Suella is very informative about relaxation techniques,, maybe later on you could ask about flat bed rests

I know she will oblige

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

From a PC click on the Function key F5 at the top of your keyboard

instructions at the top of the page

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks richrebound. I mean position it differently to suit your natural rhythm. Would you say you are more of an 'evening person' or a 'morning person'? Are you finding that you can fall alseep quickly? I often speak to people who report thinking/dreaming about work-related issues in the hour or so before waking up – checking basics concerning “putting the day to rest” with a list pre-sleep may be another way to tackle the mental activity during sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 3

as a beginner how do I reach Suella

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

not really a ch,ange in mood,I have suffered depression for years . Insomnia makes it worse, I could be happy sometimes,but being awake for hours especially in winter nights is awful! I iive alone in remote countryside I think Im just a hopeless case!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Interesting question. I find that I feel most energised in the morning and early evening, and tiredest around lunch-time. What does that say?
    Thanks for the reminder about the putting the day to rest approach

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks maggiestrathy5. you are certainly right, that poor sleep can have a negative impact on mood and depression. On the plus side, there is some emerging research that shows CBT-based techniques for poor sleep can also have a positive impact on depression.

check out these two articles:
    Sleep's connection to mental and physical wellbeing
    Irritability, anxiety and flattened mood

it's still very early days for you on the course, so stick with it, and I'm sure you will be able to receive great encouragement and support from other community members.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

please click on suellas name at the end of the session

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks richrebound. sounds like one idea might be to advance your sleep time forward (say by 15 minutes in the first instance to 11.30-6.30). Morning people tend to wake up slightly earlier (usually without an alarm clock and feel refreshed early on awakening, be more alert mentally). This would be a good idea if you feel that you can still fall asleep relatively quickly.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

I shall have to go folks, sorry but I am a bit achey tonight and need a good soak, I will pick up questions and answers later on
    Thanks Dr Kyle for you sound advice….

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks for joining andymoir.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

any final topics people would like to discuss?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

That's us for tonight folks. Have a good week, thanks for joining and speak next time!

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 5

Good evening Simon,hi o all the community too

Return to top