Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 25th April

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 25th April 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 20 Apr 2012 at 8:09 AM
  • 75 comments
  • 19 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 87 comments
    • 38 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Dr Kyle, I did ask my GP for Melatonin. They can't prescribe it so GP sent me to my local Hospital. The Doc there didn't have a clue and also said they only prescribe for in patients. So…am at a total loss :(

• Sleepio Member

• 47 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

You can buy melatonin on ebay, but no idea what you do with it, or how much you take,

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

Regards back Lonepine,

sleep well

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Many thanks Enfys and sorry to hear you are off work just now. Regarding your window, I would consider investing in a light-box to help advance your window. Exposure to the light should be done as soon as you wake up to help block hormones that might still want to push you/maintain sleep. Certainly worth discussing with GP about this, as light can be very effective. Making sure you are also fixing your meal times to suit a more neutral rhythm may also help.

I think you are practicing very good techniques to deal with these thoughts, and make the right, logical interpretation of them. Putting the day to rest techniques may also help to 'shelve' these thoughts long before bed. Many find minfulness techniqus also useful for this exact situations. Anyone else on the course found certain techniques useful for similar situations?

• Sleepio Member

• 87 comments
    • 38 helped
    Graduate

yes CW but….because it's not regulated, you don't know WHAT you're getting

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

Colin Espie's book indicates that there are medical conditions causing insomnia for which CBT is inappropriate. Obviously CBT can address secondaey problems, but the implication is that the primary condition cannot be helped. Information on th esleepio site is much more ambivalent on this subject. Has the book been superceded by subsequent research?

• Sleepio Member

• 47 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

I suppose you're right. I just happened to see it once when looking for anything that might help me get a nights sleep. I'd be too scared to try anything like that though.

• Sleepio Member

• 91 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle, I've managed to get my parent's to hae dinner earlier (7pm so late for the live session!). Do you know if skipping breakfast would have a big effect on sleep or circadian rhythms? I haven't eaten in the mornings for nearly 10 years (I have severe nausea in the mornings)?

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

He he!

I'm only 48 too!

:-)

• Sleepio Member

• 47 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Isn't it awful feeling like your 78 instead of 48!

• Sleepio Member

• 87 comments
    • 38 helped
    Graduate

exactly CW…fear of taking something that is supposedly safe…no idea how many grams to take…for how long etc. This is where the GP just washed her hands as the practice doesn't prescribe it. Where cold I find out I wonder. Thanks CW

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that's right chrispy – for certain conditions, some aspects of CBT may be contra-indicated (e.g. sleep restriction where one might have epilepsy or bipolar disorder). Mild sleep loss may aggravate things. The latest science suggests that if poor sleep (insomnia disorder) is present, and substantive, then it should be treated as a seperate problem. Always seek help from GP/health professional though, as you are right, sometimes it may be that alleviation of another problem could put the poor sleep into remission.

• Sleepio Member

• 91 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Circadian – have you tried asking a pharmacist? They often have knowledge of supplements and non-standard medications (or know where to find out!).

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

That's us for tonight folks. Sorry we couldn't get through all questions. Keep them/re-post them next week and we will certainly get round to answering them. have a nice week and sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 91 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Thank you! Night all.

• Sleepio Member

• 87 comments
    • 38 helped
    Graduate

Good idea…will try that. Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr. Kyle

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Doctor,

I know that limb movement and breathing not a problem, from the results of a sleep study/ overnight at Papworth Hospital Sleep Centre around 2 years ago.

I believe that I am ‘used to’ being in pain and under physical tention all the time now, sinse my insomnia has been going on for years.

So how can I identyfy if my problem is Firbromyalgia, Chronic fatigue or chronic pain?

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

Good night folks!

I hope that I shall be able to be in touch with you on the site again soon,

my very best wishes,

Henry

:-)

• Sleepio Member

• 137 comments
    • 39 helped