Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 24th April

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 24th April 7pm-8pm (GMT).

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 19 Apr 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 45 comments
  • 4 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi OliviaC – melatonin is mainly indicated for problems with sleep timing (like jet lag) and is generally not that effective for long-term sleep problems. It is, however, licensed in some countries to treat insomnia in those 55+, but again the benefits can be quite modest.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for sharing Angief!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Anaven, great observation. The idea here is that wakefulness, regardless of what type, is a marker of inefficient sleep. The key to the measurement is that if you are consolidating sleep, then your ratio of Time asleep to Time in bed will be high, and therefore this is used to increase or decrease the sleep window, as necessary, over subsequent weeks.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks, Raedw. Congratulations on your sleep efficiency! Certainly, if these are short-term problems/symptoms, that you expect to resolve soon, then we wouldn't want to exacerbate them, if it is causing you discomfort. The usual suggestion is that someone is unwell, like a flu etc., making adherence difficult, is to return to the programme instructions once they feel bit better.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great question valencia! couple of things might have happened – your work over the last few weeks has paid off and/or you've positioned your sleep window to be consistent with your body clock (e.g. morning lark vs. night owl). are you waking up very early? Certainly, it is normal to be a bit groggy on awakening – does the sleepiness reduce after say half an hour?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

good point Fredley – maybe not a wise idea! And Harley Davisons are loud machines! the noise machines have no scientific evidence for reducing time to fall asleep or keeping people asleep during the night, I'm afraid.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for sharing polly sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

have to go now folks. Sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for joining valkaye!

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Yeah, going to bed at 2am didn't seem to be helping much, so I pushed it back to about 11:30, midnight. I was doing that in the weeks prior to the start of sleep restriction, but I always woke up around 3 am. However, for the last 2-3 nights now, I've slept straight through until 5:30am. The sleepiness reduces a little, but not much and by noon, I'm ready to nap. It's 2:30pm now, and I'm sure I could sleep for a few hours if I could! Any other ideas?

I'd just love to go to bed, sleep for 6-7 hours, and wake up rested! The last few months have been trying, to say the least.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

QHR? Absolutely vital for me. i have a heated blanket that is wonderful to keep me snug when I have to do QHR. The spare room may serve the same purpose for you.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks for sharing Valencia. For many people between 4 and 6 am signals the time when we are most sleepy – our core body temperature, for example, is at it's lowest and melatonin secretion at a peak. Slightly adjusting your bed time, say to midnight (12.30), might help allow you to sleep through this period and feel somewhat more refreshed. Sleep duration is important but sleep quality more so – feeling refreshed on awakening and functioning well during the day (without the excessive sleepiness). Tweaking the bed time and rise time can help you achieve the optimum position, in addition to implementing all of the other CBT components. What has been your normal wake/rise-time in the past?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for sharing your strategies Suella

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

we have still 7 minutes or so left, does anyone have any topics/questions they would like to discuss?

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Before the insomnia hit, my normal bedtime hours were about 11:30-6 or 7am.

When I began having issues, I would wake up after 3-4 hours of bad quality sleep (frequent awakenings). Going to bed earlier or later didn't help--if I went to bed a 10pm, I would up by 2am, and if I went to bed at midnight, I was awake by 4am. This went on for about 2 months before I started here at Sleepio and continued throughout the program.

For the last 3 days, I've found myself going to sleep around 11-11:30pm and rising at 6am. I'm perplexed as to why I'm suddenly sleeping longer these last few days--even more perplexed as to why, after sleeping for so much longer, I'm not feeling rested when I wake up. It takes a considerable amount of willpower for me to get out of the bed in the morning now because I feel like I could sleep for a few more hours.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

I've recently read that we have a lower level of willpower in the evening. This may be why we can find things like SR so difficult. Even highly focused and determined individuals can struggle with good sleep hygiene at this time.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks valencia. It could be a variety of reasons. It might be that now, after implementing the routine for the last few weeks, that you've started to re-learn how to sleep, creating a more positive sleep-inducing association. Perhaps, also being less concerned about sleep has reduced night-time wakenings. The important thing is to continue to maintain the gains. Sticking to your schedule for the next few days and weeks, will lead to a slightly increased sleep window, which might then weaken the feelings of sleepiness. Consistency is important – giving your body reliable signals, like light exposure in the morning (will also improve alertness) and help improve reliability of falling asleep times in the evening. Often it can be, and indeed almost expected, that you can become sleepier at the start when implementing such a schedule. this will lessen over the next weeks, as your body clock becomes more regular and sleep time is increased.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

absolutely, Suella. Thanks for making this important point. we are all human after all. So the odd night of not sticking to it rigorously is to be expected. remembering the long-term goal is important though.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Sounds reasonable. I'll stick with it and report back soon. Thank you SO much for answering my questions, you've been most helpful today!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks all for joining tonight. have a great week and speak next time!

Return to top