Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 23rd November

Dr Simon Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 23rd November 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

Dr Kyle may be unable to answer questions which relate to topics covered in future course sessions but will try to indicate where this is the case and point you in the direction of relevant expert articles on the Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 21 Nov 2011 at 12:14 PM
  • 135 comments
  • 16 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 52 comments
    • 7 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Why is it so bad?

• Sleepio Member

• 52 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Sleeping on the sofa I mean?

• Sleepio Member

• 52 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

I think I need to go back to my last thing at night bowl of cereal….

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

I think this is where the sleep restriction comes in. Going to bed later than I really wanted to I forced myself to stay awake even although I was wanting to go to sleep on the chair as I knew if I did I would then waken and by the time I went to bed I would feel awake and not able to get back to sleep. All of you who haven't yet done sleep restriction you have to be really disciplined.

• Sleepio Member

• 34 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 2

maths, i read up on theories and try to understand there points and see if i can find a fault. it takes my mind of it for the day. but the problem is there next time i attempt to sleep. i fall in to the exact same point of the night mare as i left it.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Nice thinking la_colocha… worth a detective-like approach to it…

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

We are taught on the course that you have to associate your bed for sleeping. You should not read in your bed either. For sleeping only. I found that really hard as well as I used to always ready in my bed.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 3

The Food Hospital programme had someone who was a night eater and he was up and down all night snacking on biscuits and cakes. He had a really bad general diet of poor quality food and the put him on a much better low GI diet with food that lasted longer through the night. I always have a bowl of cereal before I go to bed – partly to take medication that has to be taken with food and partly to stop me waking up hungry from so much tossing and turning ….I get more exercise from that than I do during the day!! :(

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

Have to go now. Thanks Dr. K Sleep well everyone

• Sleepio Member

• 34 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 2

one thing everyone. we are not alone, we have each other. its is difficult but dont give up. i am always about to chat. i hope we can all motivate each other and talk and find from each other little variations which can benefit each and everyone. dont give in. give 2% more everytime

• Sleepio Member

• 1153 comments
    • 245 helped
    Graduate

Thanks everyone and Dr. Kyle. What a wonderful opportunity!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks everyone, lot of exciting chat tonight. good luck with your next sessions. be well and sleep efficient!

• Sleepio Member

• 52 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Thanks all. See you next week.

• Sleepio Member

• 34 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 2

good luck

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 3

Oh dear – I don't think I'm going to enjoy the no reading in bed … I read everywhere and always have – even before I had sleep problems. I read in the bath then for 10-15 mins in bed before I settle … I thought you were supposed to read to settle your mind and get away from the day's events.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

That's one of the things I've maintained over the years -- my bedroom is now only for sleeping (I used to have my computer, etc. in there). I'm not sure if it ultimately helped, but it certainly didn't harm.

I'm also interested in the sleep restriction mentioned by people -- I will look into that!

• Sleepio Member

• 34 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 2

thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 34 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 2

till tomorrow people. good bye.

• Sleepio Member

• 1153 comments
    • 245 helped
    Graduate

Thanks, to you also. May the sleep genie deliver a great efficient sleep tonight. : )

• Sleepio Member

• 840 comments
    • 172 helped
    Graduate

Just wanted to say how good it was to see so many new names popping up to quiz Dr Kyle and to add my bit. I graduated a few weeks ago and was also very impatient to get started with the course and progress but I learnt that to take the time also means that new routines are properly established before something else comes along. Approach it positively, be patient, take each week as it comes and dont expect overnight miracles. Everyone's sleep issues are different, what they need and what they ultimately take from the course will be different – It is like a 'pick n mix' – something for everyone. Take time to chat, share and discuss – enjoy being with people who understand your feelings about sleep…you are no longer alone!

Return to top