Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 23rd January

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 23rd January 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 17 Jan 2013 at 6:55 PM
  • 44 comments
  • 21 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi Kathryn Reynolds, great you are progressing. certainly, you can tweak your window to accommodate the extra wakefulness induced by attending to your baby.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks david garner bridge. similar to a post above, you are still in the very early phases of the 'sleep-retraining' process, and sleepiness is common. However, safety is very important so you should avoid dangerous activities like driving, operating heavy machinery. In my experience, after 3-4 weeks of SRT, people tend to feel better during the day and sleepiness starts to subside. There is often a lag between improvements in sleep and next-day functioning. Great news, however, that you are making good progress, sleeping through your window. continued adherence will hopefully bring further benefit.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks valkaye – some evidence that they might work for mild, perhaps short-lived insomnia. no evidence that they can help those with long-term poor sleep.There was a review published in 2007 and the title sums it up nicely: “A systematic review of valerian as a sleep aid: Safe but not effective”

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

H Grumpyimp, in my experience SRT and the QHR are best placed to tackle wakefulness during the night, but there has been little work in focusing on this particular sleep difficultly, exclusively. With sleepio however we should be able to investigate, in the future, who is most likely to respond to what and how quickly.

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle I suspected that would be the case. (Love the title of the review!)

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Good evening all! Hope everyone is well…?
    Just gonna catch up on previous comments…

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

OK.

I gaduated about 4 weeks ago.

I seem to unable to go beyond a sleep window of around 5.5 hours without drastically reducing my sleep efficiency and having more early morning awakenings. I feel ill the next day after a 5.5 hours sleep window though.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi LOW!

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

On the topic of sleep maintenance, though my sleep is greatly improved in loads of ways, I persistently wake about three times a night. I have learned the knack of getting back to sleep again fairly quickly which is great but it would be nice if it didn't happen. I wondered however whether that might in part be a normal function of age (I'm 66) rather than being part of a disorder. Having been insomniac for decades, I suspect like many fello sufferers, I have no feeling for what normal really is.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi katecelyn,

It sounds like you have the right attitude by not giving up!! It can take many weeks to see improvement in our sleep patterns/ quality and many months for them to become truly embedded into our way of life.

I have been part of sleepio for a little over a year now and I still get bad nights sometimes (occasionally a few over a week or so). I find that sticking to the techniques, sometimes getting more strict on my bedtime/ risetime helps my body to get back into the good sleep routine!

I guess what I'm saying is that this is a journey for each of us and it is different for everyone, but I know so many people who have made amazing improvements after the course!

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Good evening Dr Kyle and everyone. There's a lot of very interesting questions tonight. At the moment my sleep hasn't returned to what it was prior to Christmas. Average time asleep is 5 hours 51 minutes, time in bed 7 hours 47 minutes, SE 75%. I'm up nearly every night for anything from 1 and a half hours to 2 and a half hours. When I wake up after about a couple of hours or so I nearly despair of ever getting a good night's sleep. However this morning after having a disturbed night with a sleep of just over 3 hours to start with and then a sleep of 1 hour and 45 minutes and not getting out of bed for a further 30 minutes or so, I was surprised to find as the morning wore on I wasn't as tired as on other occasions. My sleep quality must have been better than I realised. Dare I say it that my sleep might just be starting to improve. You might not see this note due to the time but will mention it next week.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Kyle, nice to “see” you again! Happy New Year!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi there LP77, glad to hear you are finding things improving for you! It can take a while to get back to normal after a big disruption like Xmas! Keep up the good work & I'm sure you'll get back to where you were…and maybe even better than that!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for your post, lonepine. sorry to hear you're not sleeping as well as hoped. It certainly is very normal to have periods where sleep can become disturbed (it might be, that for some, sleep is more sensitive to disturbance, even though they can experience good/normal sleep the majority of the time – this is an important area of research). The good thing is that you know you've slept well in the past and have the capacity to sleep well again in the future. correct implementation of strategies and the right (positive) approach will help you get there again. It was also interesting that you felt well after a relatively short night of sleep, showing that sometimes how we can feel can be influence by other factors than duration of sleep (like intensity and quality) as well as non-sleep factors.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks for joining tonight everyone. take care and 'speak' next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

good night and thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Good night everyone, sleep well!

Good night Dr Kyle & thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 177 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

I'm with you Grumpy Imp. wish he'd been able to address this question of yours before time ran out

Return to top