Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 21st March

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 21st March 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 16 Mar 2012 at 9:41 AM
  • 77 comments
  • 32 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 87 comments
    • 47 helped
    Graduate

i did think about it but couldn't come up with a meaningless word that was easy to think. any ideas gratefully received :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

buddhist chant maybe (ommm or something similar)?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks chrispy. if excessive sleepiness/daytime effects of SR are persisting beyond say 6-8 weeks, then it might be worth thinking about extending the window slightly but maintain standard bed and rise times and observe what effect this may have.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

I'm not sure to be honest Garbled, it's best to speak with your GP about this. As sleep is so important to our well-being and functioning, its loss can affect many different aspects of functioning. So long as you let your doctor knows about your sleep, then they will be able to take this into account.

• Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    Graduate

The, said repeatedly, has a staccato sound, which I feel is not conducive to sleep. How about 'calm, calm, calm…' ?

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

Thanks – that seems sensible.
    My alternative thought was that reducing the SW might increase the squeeze and beat it a little harder (in the hope of a submission). Any thoughts? Mind you I'm not sure I can face it at the moment – maybe after a spell of rlaxing it a bit to try and regain some strength.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

An alternative, but effective approach is taking a non-reactive stance – have you tried this? along the lines of paradoxical intention or mindfulness? This approach may generalise also to other areas of well-being.

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

Yes – I like that!

• Sleepio Member

• 87 comments
    • 47 helped
    Graduate

i will try it tonight – thanks tiredeyes

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

I like to use release said slowly instead of relax or you could learn a short peaceful verse and just keep ging through it over and over again.I have used one in the past and breathe in between each word – mmmm might try that again!

• Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    Graduate

sorry, not sure what you mean?!

• Sleepio Member

• 45 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Hi all Just popped in to see whats going on I've been having some reasonable nights sleep recently (give or take a bad one or two) I definitely find that if I stick to the SR it does help but when I fall by the wayside and have an extra hour because I'm so tired it throws the sleep pattern out. By the way still waiting for cards to give out to recommend sleepio Have theses been issued ?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

sorry, I mean instead of trying to do anything when you find yourself awake during the night, allow yourself to accept that your brain is simply not ready for sleep at this particular moment. easier said than done, but by taking a more accepting approach, we might find that we actually get over to sleep when we don't expect to. more details can be found here:
    Mindfulness: putting it into practice

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

So should we consider the 2 sleep approach if we regularly wake in the night and are 'not ready for sleep'. Means going to bed earlier to allow for it!

• Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    Graduate

My personal problem is that if I simply accept being awake, my mind then starts to think about the day to come, things to do etc. So I'm better occupying my thoughts with my relaxation routine, or trying thought blocking

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

OK folks! that's us for tonight. thanks for joining. have a good week, and do let us know, next week, how you get on with the clock change.

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

Is any scientific research being done on the 2 sleep approach or has it just been a 'historical research exercise?

• Sleepio Member

• 87 comments
    • 47 helped
    Graduate

me too! if i get up after 15 mins i spend ages reading or knitting or whatever. if i stay in bed i usually get back to sleep after 30 mins or so. i prefer to stay in bed unless i really am wide awake and raring to go

• Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    Graduate

Yes, true for me as well, getting up wakes me up and it's likely to be an hour before I feel sleepy-tired again. It's all about adapting 'rules' to our personal habits and needs

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

I like the phrase “soften and flow” of Ashok Gupta's to breathe relaxation into my mind. Or “breathe in peace, breathe out tension” that I learned from the Nottingham City Hospital Back Pain CD. Both work well for me.

Return to top