Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 21st June

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Thursday 21st June 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

Posted 20 Jun 2012 at 1:53 PM
  • 70 comments
  • 11 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 81 comments
    • 49 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thanks for your reply. I think there is always a baseline of anxiety for me around bedtime. When my sleep window is compressed I'm more exhausted, and this overcomes the anxiety and helps me fall asleep. However this leaves me groggy in the daytime. If I decompress the window, I get enough sleep but the anxiety takes hold more readily. I often find myself locked into an 'active' effort to fall asleep. Once I'm in that mindset it becomes very difficult to break out of it, sometimes for the rest of the night.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

wouldn't it be wonderful if we ended up proving that with Sleepio techniques we didn't sleep less but more as we get older.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks ezgeez. what you describe is very common, and insightful with respect to how sleep restriction modifies any sleep-time anxiety. Have you tried any of the cognitive and relaxation techniques to help defuse effort and arousal at night? these can be very useful in conjunction with SR, though they can be hard to acquire. but many people tesify to their effectiveness.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

interesting idea Goldie! A scientist in the making!

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

I think like Dr Kyle said the brain changes the older we get and of course we all get worn out parts leading to pain etc, yes Goldie Sleepio has worked for me in the whole and the people that run it should be congratulated for helping so many people

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

I find having the Prof and a load of other relaxing/breathing things on my I-pod helps me to concentrate on that and helps banish the thinking about will I or won't I sleep. It seems to be getting easier as I work more with them during the day as well.

• Sleepio Member

• 81 comments
    • 49 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle, I have been practicing meditation for several months now, and it definitely has helped. However sometimes I find that even the meditation can become quite effortful and anxious when there's the fear of insomnia at the back of my mind and I'm trying to use the meditation to fall asleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Anyway Folk we are having very high winds and extreme rain here and it's Andy's time for pre-bed tasks and relaxation, thanks all for a great live chat and as always thanks Dr Kyle for your time Good night all and sleep well!!

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

nite nite Andy sleep well

• Sleepio Member

• 81 comments
    • 49 helped
    Graduate

Good night Andy!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Good night Andy, sleep well xx

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

It would be good if eventually with all these findings that even with changes in the brain as we age, we can still expect good 'quality' sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

I am going too – thanks Dr Kyle and everyone else – good session.

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks ezgeez, relaxation can also be very helpful in addition to mindfulness meditation practices. putting the day to rest also might be something worth revisiting. Knowing also that you can sleep, and have proven this night after night previously, should also reassure you that sleep will come automatically, and that arousal at night will be counterproductive. trying some additional sleepio techniques and slightly compressing the window might be a good place to start for this week, ezgeez, and we can discuss how you get on, next week.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for joining folks. take care, have a good week, and 'speak' to you soon. best wishes.

• Sleepio Member

• 81 comments
    • 49 helped
    Graduate

Many thanks for the tips and encouragement Dr Kyle, that's exactly what I needed. Good night.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Goodnight all – sweet dreams! xx

• Sleepio Member

• 81 comments
    • 49 helped
    Graduate

Thanks also Goldie for your advice.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Yes, thank you very much for this.20 minutes less in a full moon in a fair % change I reckon. I was interested in interrupted sleep being influenced by t the moon in particular, as I'm going through that at the moment. ~The title of the article seems to be some sort of Swiss folk saying Sleepless night; the moon is bright. Perhaps more than a grain of truth in that?

However if I'm honest, it is end of term and exhibitions and portfolios have been looming large on the horizon.

Return to top